Aug 10, 2010
Gear:

Intel i7 975 3.33
6GB Kingston Hyper x 1600
1100 Watt PSU
3X EVGA GTX 480's SLI
3 Way EVGA Classified MoBo
300Gb Velociraptor HD

I just got my EVGA GTX 480's today. Every time I try to play a game especially Crysis or Mass Effect on Max settings my PC crashes sometimes with a blue screen. Does anyone think it is my PSU? I thought 1100 watts would be enough. Any Thoughts?

Solution
at this website you can calculate the power supply you need:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I've done it already and just by the information that you gave me, you'll need on average about a 900W power supply, so power isn't your problem! (unless the power supply is faulty and not giving even power distributions throughout your circuit!

have you installed the latest drivers, supporting the gtx 400 series and sli capabilities?

have a professional check your power supply for faults, or if you can do it yourself?
the things is older power supplies never really had anything to work around until the 5970 and 480 came out, and now that they have to work a bit, they tend to get a bit faulty1 happened to me and a power...

makwy2

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

I don't think so... have you tried running it with just two or a single 480? I am fairly certain 1.1kW is enough.

oh....topower......cheap........although they do manufacture for companies such as OCZ and mushkin, their own models are pretty average. You may want to check the specs of it, like is the 1100watt a max rating, how many watts is available on the 12v rails combined? Also if its a couple years old, the power output can be lower than new, depending on the quality of capacitors.

Dane Bouwer

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
at this website you can calculate the power supply you need:

http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I've done it already and just by the information that you gave me, you'll need on average about a 900W power supply, so power isn't your problem! (unless the power supply is faulty and not giving even power distributions throughout your circuit!

have you installed the latest drivers, supporting the gtx 400 series and sli capabilities?

have a professional check your power supply for faults, or if you can do it yourself?
the things is older power supplies never really had anything to work around until the 5970 and 480 came out, and now that they have to work a bit, they tend to get a bit faulty1 happened to me and a power supply upgrade fixed it all...

not to be funny or anything but I never heard the name of topower? is it a good brand? remember a brand name says it all, and sometimes we only pay for the brand name, so if you are in the market to purchase a new PSU, lean towards good brand names, because you don't want them to mess around with those great GPU's of yours

Just my thought

Dane

Solution