EP45-UD3R reboot - no warning.

speedy742j

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Hi guys,

I've had this motherboard for just over a week and for the most part it has been stable; however, I am having the following problem:

When in Vista doing any random task the screen suddenly goes blank, random blocks of color are displayed then the system reboots. No warning, no BSOD.

This has happened to me twice now. Anyone else experienced this?

Additional information -- I am overclocking the system (Q6600) to 3.4ghz using a multiplier of 9x and a fsb of 378. The RAM is gskill 4gb and running well within spec. I have an EVGA 9800gtx graphic card. Also, I've run Prime95 for 12 hours with no errors and the core temps are 55,56,55,55 while running at 100%.

speedy742j

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I'm running the lastest graphic card drivers. I've not tried memtest86+. How long would you suggest running it for? Would you not get a BSOD if the memory failed though?

No error messages in the event viewer other than 'unexpected shutdown' which is of little help!

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Kill off Superfetch, and prefetch (as well as any other services you will not use, ie tablet). These have caused serious stability issues for me, that were fixed by stopping, and disabling their services. (I also kill readyboost, as it tries to format any thumb drive I attach, for no gains)

*EDIT* also try upping the GFX fan speed, as mine liked to reboot when it got warm. A good program for this is Rivatuner (set the fan to ~50%+).

Here some causes:

1. Did you install DES? (Dynamic Energy Saver software) <=== This is a major problem with the new EP series boards, Gigabyte messed up here.

2. You didn't increase RAM voltages?

3. Your RAM may be bad, like said before run Memtest86+.

4. Your PSU may not be be stable,low quality, or not giving power or may be even over loading. <== Another major problem, mainly with low quality PSUs
=======
Please list full specs, esp PSU and GPU.

speedy742j

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I haven't installed the Dynamic Enery Saver Software but I noticed that when I did this in XP the CPU load lights illuminted on the motherboard. As I say I haven't installed this on my vista build; however, the lights on the motherboard are illuminated showing load. Is this automatically installed with the chipset drivers??

The stock voltage said 1.8-1.9 and 5,5,5,15.

I'll run a memtest86+ on it. Can you suggest a good burn in time?

My PSU is PSU RAIDMAX | HYBRID2 RX-730SS 730W - Retail
My GPU is VGA EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR 9800GTX RT - Retail
my RAM is MEM 2Gx2|GSK F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ R - Retail

The DRAM Performance Control are set as follows:
Performance Enhance:Standard
G(MCH Frequency Latch: Auto
System Memory Multiplier (SPD): 2.00D
CAS:5
tRCD:5
tRP:5
tRAS:5

Everything esle (except the DRAM 1.900V and CPU Vcore 1.37500V) is set to auto.

Any ideas, btw just before it has rebooted on these two occasions the screen went a little stange and displayed fuzzy blocks of graphics for about 4 second before it rebooted. Nothing legible, just might be worth a mention. Is there a tool to test graphic cards?

Thanks.

speedy742j

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I'm running the RAM Voltage at 1.9v. It appears that the memory is ok if memtest86+ is anything to go by.

While I appreciate all input, why is the RAIDMAX a very low quality PSU? All the reviews I read on this PSU have been very good.

qhorque

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
Just a thought....

Have you tried running the machine in a completely non-overclocked configuration to see if the reboots happen?

Clearly if the board does not spontaneously reboot using stock parameters, then it's not a real fault of the RAM, CPU or board.

I say at least give that a try before spending too much time on running a night-long memtest etc. on the system. If it runs fine using stock numbers then that reasonably indicates you need to back down on your overclocking, right?

You said everything is set to auto except for Vcore and DRAM but you've also upped the CPU to 3.4GHz so back that down and see what happens.

Bob

speedy742j

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Thank you. I shall be returning this one and installing a Corsair 750W. They seem to get really good ratings.

p.s. does anyone know why flight simulator (a cpu intensive game, opposed to GPU) would run faster at 3.2ghz (8*400) opposed to 3.6ghz (9*378)?

Thanks.