Epic Disses Crytek, Claims Engine Dominance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Both engines will be great, both impressed me by a significant margin.
Crytek didn't optimize their CryEngine 2 as well as i expected, but only this year can Gaming Rig's (Upgraded of course) play it on highest settings, along with anti-aliasing without going below the 30FPS mark.

Unreal Engine 4 will be Unreal! both will be awesome, cant wait!

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
the Cryengine is good and all but the only reason i don't like it is because of the editor (also no brushs) so it makes it hard to make a simple deathmatch map

G

BWAHAHA! I love the people who say that CryEngine 2 was somehow inferior to UE3. From a graphical standpoint there is no comparison. CE2 was superior. If you disagree it's because your PC wasn't up to the task of running it.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Lol.

"My game engine that doesn't exist yet is better than your game engine that does. Oh yeah, don't forget that we've been around longer than you have."

Sounds like he's getting quite worried to me.

G

unreal engine 3 is the laggiest engine ever made for network play. so i would say no. the crytek one is better(also cause it uses more technologies and doesn't look like clay)

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Yawn. I'd take CryEngine 3 over Unreal any day. If anything I don't want a console port.[/citation]

[citation][nom]spigias[/nom]I don't prefer handicapped console-pc engines running on pc, exclusive pc engines(Cryengine) are far more polished.[/citation]

Ummm, Cryengine 3 is multi platform and it is their goal that it not be a "exclusive PC engine".

Aside from that, it looks like a damn fine engine and I can't wait to see it on my PC... and my 360. I'm sure the UE4 will be plenty amazing as well. Tack on ID tech 5 and I will be playing badass looking games on whatever machine I desire.

last but not least, UE3 maxed out was a fantastic "running" engine, Crytek 2 maxed out was a fantastic "looking" engine that could barely be run on any machine. I just got a 5870 recently and can just now run that game with DX10 @ 1920x1200 and some AA.

thartist

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
For me UE3 was kind of a 'great technology' that provided 'horrible graphics'. Why so? With just some exception, all games using UE3 look oversaturated, overbrightfull, too shiny surfaces and just toy-ish. Shadowing is also very modest looking.
CryEngine2 in max settings on the other hand will make you crap your pants once-and-again also featuring a range of technologies that allow you to achieve a much better look overall but yes, it ran like shit. But now that performance has been tackled with CE3, it will be all set to show what it's made of.

My conclusion, unless UE4 gets to look a little more "realistic" (to sum it up in some way), CE3 is already the winner for me.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Is Epic a PC company or a console company? They don't seem to be asserting themselves as either or. A mix of both is not technically something to brag about, as one or the other always suffers.

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]Lol."My game engine that doesn't exist yet is better than your game engine that does. Oh yeah, don't forget that we've been around longer than you have."Sounds like he's getting quite worried to me.[/citation]
yep

killbits

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
First of all, the graphics in a game mean absolutely nothing if the plot, settings, characters, and gameplay aren't great. Crysis > Gears of War in that regard. Granted, it's all about the developers. BioShock, Arkham Asylum, and Mirror's Edge were all awesome and they used Unreal Engine 3. but I would argue that it wasn't the graphics alone that made them great.

Secondly, this guy from Epic sounds like a complete douche - I love developers that focus more on PC hardware, because that's where the most advanced technology is found. Epic obviously was this way until gears of war and it's sad that their president doesn't respect pc gamers anymore, if he ever has. Making an engine for the pc first usually results in way better looking games for both console and pc.

Thirdly, disregarding the pc completely, the screens for Crysis 2 on consoles look way freakin better than anything i've seen from Epic with Unreal Engine 4 so I really think this Mike Capps guy should stop whining about CryEngine 2 and focus on making his company's next game not a complete piece of fail.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I'd say its pointless to bash other companies' engine unless you're kinda worried for your own engine's success. Maybe they should skip this crap activity and focus more on the development.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
people take them seriously because instead of being shackled down by the limitations of the consoles, they made the engine behind THE BEST LOOKING VIDEO GAME EVER! their wysiwyg tools are also very interesting.

Unreal are nearly as fanatic as Apple when it comes to their propaganda machine. not saying unreal isn't awesome, just saying that listening to their PR guys talking about their tech and how it compares to the industry, is like listening to Steve Jobs...

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I do not see a difference in the engines either, but Epic has a free license which should give them the edge on the developer side. Prolly people like the Crytek, cause they really were not into the Unreal games. Everything looks very sharp in Crysis, but Unreal is very competitive even from a gamers stand point. And yes Epic can play Crysis : )

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Neither engine is ideal to work with and they both are ineffeciently designed. They cost a million dollars, they don't have industry standard scripting languages, and they are difficult to modify. Compared to Unreal 2, Unreal 3 is a dismayal failure as a mid-ware engine.

stephen0983

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
i agree with him, crytek will fall flat on their face. unreal does the job fine, and i look forward to seeing what they have come out next.
was never impressed by crysis. source engine impresses me more, getting over a 100fps while crysis gets 30fps and looks only marginally better.

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
THere is another game that did use the crytech engine, I asked the same question if there were any games that did in fact use the cryengine2 in one of my older threads...

Its a pity other developers and companies didnt use the crytech2 engine, I guess it was hard to utilize and develope for due t the heavy system requirments.

Ondoval

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Some notes:

-Is Capps sure about Warhead as canceled to consoles? As long as I known, the expansion developed by Crytek Budapest was never in the console market radar.

-The dominance of UE3 as third partie middleware in the current console generation is not in question (more than 90 games licensed over this engine), but aside a few ones (Gears, Mass Effects, Mirror's Edge, Batman AA... ) most of them looks dull and generic, with limited success and a small impact.

-Some developers had now efficient multi-platform engines capable to compete with UE3, sometimes even with advantage. Not only the incoming CryEngine 3 and id Tech 5, but currently also the DICE's Frostbite Engine, the Capcom's MT Framework or the A4 Engine.

-I think that Epic will struggle to achieve the same degree of success in the next generation due his main advantage in this current one was that they were ready before the start, and now more developers are at equal terms in order to face the next generation.

-Larrabee was a fiasco.

-Epic is currently in a weird (and weak) position in the PC market. UT franchise -even if I love the sage- is dead. After Unreal II The Awakening in PC, Ureal Championship 2 in Xbox and UT III as multi the franchise popularity is in his lowest state. At this moment they have no stuff to compete in mp against titans as the CODs or BF games, nor in the sp shooters. In fact, their best option cames from PCF Bulletstorm.

It looks like, in PC, Epic is currently a colossus with clay toes: his UE3 is widely used, but they lack in powerful franchises.

Ondoval

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Some notes:

-Is Capps sure about Warhead as canceled to consoles? As long as I known, the expansion developed by Crytek Budapest was never in the console market radar.

-The dominance of UE3 as third partie middleware in the current console generation is not in question (more than 90 games licensed over this engine), but aside a few ones (Gears, Mass Effects, Mirror's Edge, Batman AA... ) most of them looks dull and generic, with limited success and a small impact.

-Some developers had now efficient multi-platform engines capable to compete with UE3, sometimes even with advantage. Not only the incoming CryEngine 3 and id Tech 5, but currently also the DICE's Frostbite Engine, the Capcom's MT Framework or the A4 Engine.

-I think that Epic will struggle to achieve the same degree of success in the next generation due his main advantage in this current one was that they were ready before the start, and now more developers are at equal terms in order to face the next generation.

-Larrabee was a fiasco.

-Epic is currently in a weird (and weak) position in the PC market. UT franchise -even if I love the sage- is dead. After Unreal II The Awakening in PC, Ureal Championship 2 in Xbox and UT III as multi the franchise popularity is in his lowest state. At this moment they have no stuff to compete in mp against titans as the CODs or BF games, nor in the sp shooters. In fact, their best option cames from PCF Bulletstorm.

It looks like, in PC, Epic is currently a colossus with clay toes: his UE3 is widely used, but they lack in powerful franchises.

deividast

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Man, i love Epic and it's unreal engine... I just installed UT3 back to my machine and it still looks awesome.... Can't wait to see what they will do with Unreal Engine 4 and i hope they'll release another UT or Unreal game running on it :)

cybot_x1024

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
Unfortunately the destructable environment and awesome graphics of CryEngine 2 will only be seen in Unreal engine 4.
Epic stop the jibber jabber and give us a good engine that we can drool over.

Status
Not open for further replies.