Epic Disses Crytek, Claims Engine Dominance

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

With over 200 games based on the Unreal engines,there is really no comparison between the two.
Epic's obstensible ease and great support make the unreal engine a great choice for developers especially those on a tight budget.
Look at literally thousands of user made mods for the unreal engine,this should convince those that say Epic makes shit for engines.
Alas no,common sense alone cannot sway the fervent believer of his/hers/its favorite product be it x/y or even z.
Has Epic lost its audience?
Certainly,for people are fickle and I will be the first to admit that some developers chosen to carry on the UT franchise were probably not the best to carry on Cliffy B's vision of the Human/Nali/Skaarj multiverse.
The question is,is Epic willing to do what it takes to put an engine in the hands of great storytellers and artists and the coders to keep and attract future gamers.
Lastly,what about this Unreal3?
When Gawdammit,i need a fix like a mofo?!

G

i don't really have beef with epic but they made the first gears of war for PC but they are the geniuses that decided not to bring gears of war 2 to the PC... WTF. If they care about PC so much maybe they should be aware of what hardware is out there and what it is capable of HINT: DX11,PHYSX,OPENGL 4.0 etc. just imagine gears of war 2 on PC with all the bells and whistles it would be sweet. But in the meantime they will diss a company that made a game that totally redefined shooters and was out way ahead of its time. not to mention all the hype crysis 2 is getting and going to be absolutely amazing on PC. so go ahead epic and go kiss xbox 360's ass and go and be jealous FAGS.!! CRYTEK FOR THE WIN

G

wolfeinstein engine ufffff yeah!!!... blood "buid" engine, thats right far better HA-HA-HA... real holographic engine make me cry

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Aren't tons of UR games Vert-?Until all games, not just a few, based on their engine are Hort+, I can't take them seriously.[/citation]

Wow, I can't believe this got thumbed down to the point that it was hidden. This is why I read all hidden posts.

This man has a good point. The future is in widescreen, and it's time that we embraced that move instead of attempting to cripple those who adopt new technology when it's available. Not only are movies widescreen, but gaming on a widescreen is much more natural (considering the way humans see the world).

Another argument I've been hearing is that widescreen is "cheating". I can't help but laugh when I hear this, because the consumer makes their own choices when buying products. What if you were told that playing soccer with shoes is cheating? Would you play in your socks?

Hor+ is ESSENTIAL to a new Engine.

CptTripps

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
[citation][nom]undergroundrap[/nom]But in the meantime they will diss a company that made a game that totally redefined shooters and was out way ahead of its time.[/citation]

Totally redefined shooters? Please explain.

Out ahead of its time, I'll agree with that since (as stated before) I can just now run the damn game.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]RipperjackAU[/nom]... but does Unreal play Crysis?You have to ask, given the nature of the story, compairing one to the other.[/citation]

Definitely the best Crysis-related comment in quite a while.

This guy is worried. Sure, I like unreal and their legendary Unreal engine used for several games. But, CryEngine 3 has some wingspan to care about.

ddg4005

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I like Crytek's engine but they need to makle sure CryEngine 3 is optimized for the PC and consoles. I think the comments reflect a bit of concern on the part of Epic. Hey, competition is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.