Epic Games Opens Seattle Studio to Push Unreal Engine 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
If you look past the hype, you realize that Unreal Engine is just catching up to what CryEngine could do three years ago:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/353832/cryengine-is-three-years-ahead-of-unreal-engine-4-crytek/

semeku

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
[citation][nom]merikafyeah[/nom]If you look past the hype, you realize that Unreal Engine is just catching up to what CryEngine could do three years ago:http://www.computerandvideogames.c [...] -4-crytek/[/citation]
Stop being so obvious troll. Either give us a proper breakdown of the features vs Unreal Engine instead of talk from Crytek. Where is Crytek's Samaritan demo? Is it even close? Everyone can talk the talk, but what about the proof? Really. Stop barking unless you got something to show up for it.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Er...

@ semeku
"We already had massive particle systems, we already had GPU rendering, all these things. Deferred shading. We had tessellation already since we shipped Crysis 2. We already had DX11. We didn't just talk it up as tech demos, we have games that are shipped and are doing it," said Yerli.

I'm not a fanboy or anything but I believe Yerli. I don't know about you guys but if you can't acknowledge that Crysis after all this time is still on the very top of best looking games to date then there is something wrong with you and the modders have made the game look even more insane. Just search through some of those realistic Crysis mods and you'll see.

Still, this is about Unreal Engine 4 and I'm very excited to see its first games.

G

i know this is hard for many to understand, but when Eric from unreal technologies sets out to create a new level in gaming engines he really does it, he has always delivered. think about it he has never disappointed, he is one of the few great game programmers out there.

and we will need Maxwell cards to properly utilize the engine, i dunno if amd has something ready for then but i doubt.

proof cant really be seen over footage over your screen at home, best proof is to watch it directly in action with your own eyes. but from the stuff i have been following nearly everything has new formulas. shadows, lighting, glare, physics etc...

Dont be a crysis fan boy based on graphics you've only seen from one engine. Epic games has delivered every time they bring out a engine, and i doubt they will want to fall behind now. if you look at the amount of games that use the unreal engine you will be shocked if you have never seen it before.

if i told you people gabe said this will be a revolution in gaming then no one will doubt that it will be beter. its sad that people's choices are influenced by pure fanboism.

i dont KNOW it is gonna be beter, but from past experiences Epic has always delivered. so i give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it will be better. especially considering consoles cant run it....

you cant really compare features when it comes to game engines, you have to look at the formula/code of the feature and compare that.

James296

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
if I remember right, it wasn't the graphical upgrades that epic was talking about but more towards how devs worked with (or around) UE4 when compared with UE3 (easier to work with, basically)

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
[citation][nom]semeku[/nom]Stop being so obvious troll. Either give us a proper breakdown of the features vs Unreal Engine instead of talk from Crytek. Where is Crytek's Samaritan demo? Is it even close? Everyone can talk the talk, but what about the proof? Really. Stop barking unless you got something to show up for it.[/citation]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=K7JV-5a0Mdw#t=12s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y0ffBZI5PpM#t=16s

Is this really better than them?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZmRt8gCsC0

I know UE4 has very nice particles and lighting there's no question but is it really that much better (from an aesthetic standpoint)?

ozvip3r

Honorable
Sep 6, 2012
[citation][nom]semeku[/nom]Stop being so obvious troll. Either give us a proper breakdown of the features vs Unreal Engine instead of talk from Crytek. Where is Crytek's Samaritan demo? Is it even close? Everyone can talk the talk, but what about the proof? Really. Stop barking unless you got something to show up for it.[/citation]
You are wrong. I love Epic and UT but Crytek is far more advanced.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
[citation][nom]booyaah[/nom]Mortal Kombat voice: Google wins!3-1-1[/citation]

I agree, their Pacman demo and Archery demo were far superior to any of the rubbish that Epic and Crytek have been pushing out...

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
Why not make actual movies using this tech? Not using this tech to make scenes in movies but actual whole full feature films. The only difference i see between Crytek and U4 is Cry is geared to be more realistic and U4 is geared to be more 3D capable, just my two cents but both can be fully utilized beautifully in a movie.

hrhuffnpuff

Honorable
Jul 29, 2012
Well, that is nice and all, but when is Epic going to release a TRUE sequel to Unreal, and not the tournaments either, but a full fledged game. Like back to Na'Pali .

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

there isn't a smeritan demo because crytek have better things to do than demo an engine outside of a game in hopes that people pick them to power their game.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]alxianthelast[/nom]But does Microsoft think so[/citation]
I don't think microsoft needs most advanced for their console. They need exactly what their console is capable of running.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]I think that it's pretty obvious that the Elemental demo looks more impressive technically than the Crysis 3 tech demo. Regardless of rather or not Cryengine 3 can do some of those things, there is currently nothing out there as impressive as the UE4 demo - lighting is the greatest communicator of realism in a scene, and UE4 has shown off the best lighting to date...[/citation]

Well I never liked the lightning in any Unreal Engine Powered game, it looks over saturated and over bloomed to hell. If you want better lightning first go outside and see how actual sunshine and sun rays look on different weather conditions and different times of the day, then play Crysis 1 with or without the realistic mods. I would also like to mention Metro 2033 that game really had amazing lightning, if you haven't played it I suggest you do. Notice how I don't mention Crysis 2, because all they basically did was use lens flare for almost every source of light in the game and that really bugged the hell out of me after 30 minutes of playing.

Either way the Particle lightning effect on that Unreal engine 4 video you posted made me drool, I wanted to lick every glowing particle the moment I saw it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.