Epson admits that using their tanks will void your warranty!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

"Safetymom123" <safetymom123@prodigy.net> wrote:

> I think that tech is wrong at Epson. I am sure they strongly
> recommend Epson cartridges but it doesn't void the warranty if
> you use aftermarket ink. Call and ask someone else.

Duh!

I do belive Miss Perspicacia Tick understands. ;-)

> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <test@test.com> wrote in message
>> Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the
>> printhead is dead.

-snip-

>> He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't
>> know anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call
>> them tomorrow, and see if I get someone who does know the
>> correct meaning of OEM.

After seeing all of these headaches with Epson printers I am glad I did
not get one.

lokki wrote:

>while this isn't really on the original topic, it may be of use to
>some...
>
>I am investigating a few different cleaning fluids for my suite of
>Epson printers. The main reason is that not all are in continuous
>use, but when we need them, they must work within a reasonable amount
>of time. And, we are not in the habit of making throw-away prints to
>keep the heads going.
>
>The reason I bring this up is that it may solve many problems... the
>idea is to soak the 'sponge' in the dock with cleaning fluid and let
>the heads sit over night. I admit I don't know the actual terms for
>the parts, but it shouldn't be hard to figure out. The trick, then,
>is to use just enough fluid in a clean sponge to break up the clogs
>without using so much that the head is damaged. After soaking, run a
>few cleaning cycles.
>
>This appears to work with both Epson and 3rd party inks, but I highly
>recommend *careful* testing on your own. We've done this on two
>9600s, two 2200s, a 7600 and seen it done on a 4000. None had
>problems.

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Let's explore the term OEM a little more shall we.

I have been building and upgrading my own PC's for several years now.
Whenever I buy a new component I always try to buy an OEM model. So exactly
what is it that I get? It is not a third party or compatible product, but a
component built by an original equipment manufacturer, and then sold on via
a third party distributor.
Usually the component comes in plain packaging with no manual or "free
software", other than that it is exactly the same product as the genuine
resale product.

I have never purchased an OEM product that was made by a third party
manufacturer.

I'll agree that in a lot of cases the Brand name is not the manufacturer,
but in all cases that I have ever come accross, an OEM product is the same
product as the genuine product, but packaged for bulk buy rather than
resale.

--
Mick Doherty
http://dotnetrix.co.uk/nothing.html

> After seeing all of these headaches with Epson printers I am glad I did
> not get one.

You should join a few of the printer / digital photography forurms, and see
all the problems people are having with Canon printers.....

Ivor Floppy wrote:

>>After seeing all of these headaches with Epson printers I am glad I did
>>not get one.
>>

>You should join a few of the printer / digital photography forurms, and see
>all the problems people are having with Canon printers.....

About 1 Canon for every 20 Epsons. And that is jsut a rough count.

> Ivor Floppy wrote:
>
>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>After seeing all of these headaches with Epson printers I am glad I did
>>>not get one.
>>>

>>You should join a few of the printer / digital photography forurms, and
>>see all the problems people are having with Canon printers.....
> About 1 Canon for every 20 Epsons. And that is jsut a rough count.

Perhaps you should have a read of
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=40 - just as an
example.

Now, can you provide me with evidence that shows 20 Epson problems for every
1 Canon problem?

No, I thought not.

davy

> Jon O'Brienwrote:
In article
<b9840$4280ef74$455da0d2$28871@allthenewsgroups.com>,

> You've proved that your C62s clogged, which is not the same thing.
>
> For the Nth time: many people have used Epson inkjet printers for
years
> without having more than the occasional blockage which is easily
cleared
> by running a head cleaning cycle. I'm one of them.
>
> Davy replies:
> Proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt, you like to quote but without
any explanation so what is not the same thing....?

> Is a head clog not an head clog then, yes I agree there's alot of
Epson's about and don't have the trouble that I HAVE EXPERIENCED, but
there are complaints about Epsons clogging and not just C62's you only
need to look around

> T he problems arose using GENUINE EPSON INK's so am I right again in
saying that original inks are as liable to clog than any other ink? So
what is not the same then?

Oh, now I understand what you are complaining about Davy.

You think that when you get a warranty replacement item, the warranty
starts all over again? Well, let me see, you buy a new car, and the
computer in it fails at 20,000 miles into your second year. Do you
think the whole car now starts with a new warranty as if it was a new
car? Or that, the computer in the car now gets a new 36 month 40,000
mile warranty?

Epson, rather than repairing your printer, which might takes weeks to
do, and does an over the counter exchange. Often it is someone else's
printer that was repaired which you will get. Just like your printer
should have been repaired and provided to someone else, rather than
tossed in the bin.

So, in effect, they fixed "something" since the whole printer wasn't
dysfunctional, only one or a few parts. Just like the car, your printer
continues to have the remainder of your warranty, usually if your
printer is almost out of warranty and it is repaired they give a 90 day
warranty even if the printer is out of warranty.

VERY few companies provide a new warranty when they repair or replace a
product. It is a continuation of your previous warranty.

Have you not dealt with warranty services before?

Art

Davy wrote:

> Read Woe of Epson C62 lower down the listings.
>
> I had a C62 it went faulty during warrenty, they exchanged it and
> guess what - that went the same way in about the same amount of time
> with the same symptoms
>
> When I got the xchanged unit I thought I would get a new warrenty - NO
> no said Epson the warrenty starts from the day of purchase they
> said...!
>
> So No more Epsons for me.
>
> I wonder if your's went the same way...... Did it want a nozzle clean,
> then more and more nozzle cleans as time went by, I bet like me you
> wasted tons of ink.
>
> Some folks say you shouldn't use third party inks - BUT I DIDN't,
> whilst under warrenty I ensured I printed regularly and used GENUINE
> INKS and from my write up you will find I still had 'clogged heads'
> So I say Epsons will clog wheter you use third party inks or genuine
> inks - I've prove it
>
> I imagine your problem like mine, got worse over time - be interested
> to know out of curiousity.
>
> Davy

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I believe Epson US's head offices are still located in Torrence
California, but you got the right country! ;-)

Art

Kevin wrote:

> When I called Epson in the US, located in New York as I recall, I was
> treated with respect and my issues were dealt with quickly and fairly. I
> had a problem with my 820 and a supervisor offered to send me a new R200,
> plus a free black cartridge and free shipping with 10% off the website
> price.

One more thing that may explain part of this disagreement.

Epson has admitted there has been a large problem with counterfeit ink
cartridges that they themselves cannot detect from the outSide box are
not their own.

If Epson can't tell without opening the cartridge or examining the ink,
how can anyone be positive they have an Epson cartridge? Any smaller
store that buys through a jobber, my have non-epson "Epson" cartridges.

Art

Jon O'Brien wrote:

> In article <b9840$4280ef74$455da0d2$28871@allthenewsgroups.com>,
> davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (Davy) wrote:
>

>>So I say Epsons will clog wheter you use third party inks or genuine
>>inks - I've prove it
>

> You've proved that your C62s clogged, which is not the same thing.
>
> For the Nth time: many people have used Epson inkjet printers for years
> without having more than the occasional blockage which is easily cleared
> by running a head cleaning cycle. I'm one of them.
>
> Jon.

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

This post certainly brought a lot of waffle out, but for most sane people
the Original Equipment Manufacturer sure means, The Manufacturer who
Originally made the Equipment. The bulk buyers are just firms who Mod them
and rebadge them..J

> Just spoken to Epson TS because I believe the red nozzle in the printhead
> is dead.
>
> Epson: - Welcome to Epson's eTalk. My name is X. How may I help you?
> Me: - I have an R800 and I believe the red nozzle is dead. I've wasted two
> sets of tanks cleaning
> Epson: - What make of cartridges are you using?
> Me: - OEM
> Epson: - You should always use genuine Epson. The use of OEM cartridges
> will void your warranty.
>
> By this point I was pissing myself. OK, I was annoyed about my printer,
> but an OEM that doesn't know what OEM stands for? This was too much...
>
> Me: - You do know what OEM stands for, don't you?
> Epson: - The only OEM I know is non-Epson.
>
> I did a quick scan of printer companies to see if I could unearth one
> using the initials OEM. I couldn't.
>
> Me: - OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer. How can that be
> anything other than genuine Epson?
> Epson: - No it doesn't. OEM cartridges aren't genuine Epson.
> Me: - What are they then? Name me a manufacturer of OEM cartridges.
> Epson: - /silence/
> Me: - Well?
> Epson: - JetTec. Many people use JetTec.
> Me: - That's a third party manufacturer
> Epson: - No they're OEM
> Me: - No, they're third-party
>
> He started getting snotty at this point insisting that I didn't know
> anything. I terminated the conversation. I'm going to call them tomorrow,
> and see if I get someone who does know the correct meaning of OEM.
>

> --
> In memory of MS MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

lokki

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003

Davy,

100% IPA will attack many poly plastics, iirc. Storebought stuff (here
in the US) is generally 91%, and seems to be pretty kind to most
surfaces. I haven't thought about it much, but I don't see why it
wouldn't work to remove ink. The cleaning fluids we are using tend to
have small amounts of glycerin and a lower vapor pressure so they
don't evaporate as quickly.

I'm a little hesitant to try it, though, as the thinner IPA might wick
(capillary action) into the ink well - not sure about that, though.

aside - I see you are in Manchester. I'm guessing you *don't* work for
the AWE, given this recent article:

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/news/2005/april/nuclear.htm

:)

miked

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004

"lokki" <lokki@act-1-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Davy,
>
> 100% IPA will attack many poly plastics, iirc. Storebought stuff (here
> in the US) is generally 91%, and seems to be pretty kind to most
> surfaces. I haven't thought about it much, but I don't see why it
> wouldn't work to remove ink. The cleaning fluids we are using tend to
> have small amounts of glycerin and a lower vapor pressure so they
> don't evaporate as quickly.
>
> I'm a little hesitant to try it, though, as the thinner IPA might wick
> (capillary action) into the ink well - not sure about that, though.

I use IPA from my local chemist (92% I think) for general cleaning inside
and outside my printers and it hasn't attacked any of the plastics.

For cleaning the nozzles and under the heads I follow Art's recipe for Epson
printers and it works brilliantly.

Mike

In article <7c3d8$42824061$455da0d2$636@allthenewsgroups.com>,
davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (Davy) wrote:

> Jon O'Brienwrote:
> In article
> <b9840$4280ef74$455da0d2$28871@allthenewsgroups.com>,
>
> You've proved that your C62s clogged, which is not the same thing.
>
> For the Nth time: many people have used Epson inkjet printers for
> years without having more than the occasional blockage which is easily
> cleared by running a head cleaning cycle. I'm one of them.
>
> Davy replies:
> Proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt, you like to quote but without
> any explanation so what is not the same thing....?

Sorry, I though it was self-evident. There's plenty of doubt.

You said:

> So I say Epsons will clog wheter you use third party inks or genuine
> inks - I've prove it

That implies that you've proved that all Epson printers clog, whatever ink
is being used. You haven't. All you've 'proved' (we'll gloss over the fact
that no one here has seen any actual proof, we've only read your version
of events, which doesn't even _prove_ that you've ever owned a printer) is
that you had clogging problems with several C62s. You can't use your
limited experience of Epson printers to extrapolate to all models and all
users. It could be that: a) there's something about the way you used the
printers that caused the clogging. b) there's something in the environment
where your printers were kept that caused the clogging (dust, low
humidity, etc). c) some C62s clog and all the ones you had were in this
group. d) there was a problem with the C62 design which made it
susceptible to clogging (which I think someone here suggested may be the
case).

> Is a head clog not an head clog then, yes I agree there's alot of
> Epson's about and don't have the trouble that I HAVE EXPERIENCED, but
> there are complaints about Epsons clogging and not just C62's you only
> need to look around

I'm aware of the reports but, as you have pointed out, there are plenty of
people that don't experience the problem, which makes your statement
'Epsons will clog' a sweeping generalisation which can be proved false. To
use your own words: 'I've prove it'.

> The problems arose using GENUINE EPSON INK's so am I right again in
> saying that original inks are as liable to clog than any other ink?

It supports the experience of others that Epsons can clog, no matter what
ink formulation is used. It doesn't prove, one way or the other, that they
are '...as liable to clog...'. However, it ignores the fact that some
people /never/ have serious clogging problems, regardless of which inks
they use.

What you're saying is equivalent to arguing that the common factor amongst
people who are killed crossing the road is that they were crossing the
road at the time, therefore crossing the road kills you. It can, but it
doesn't always and more people die whilst not crossing a road than die
crossing one. What's more likely is that some were being careless, some
were drunk, some were hit by a careless driver, some weren't actually
crossing the road but fell or were pushed into it, etc.

Clogging may be due to:

- A badly designed printer/print head.
- How often the printer is used.
- The kind of ink being used.
- How the printer is used (E.g. paper that produces lots of dust).
- Where the printer is used (E.g. low-humidity environment, direct
sunlight).
- Some other cause, of which I'm unaware.

Until you've carried out tests which rule out every possibility, you
haven't _proved_ anything.

Jon.

Jon O'Brien wrote:

>In article <7c3d8$42824061$455da0d2$636@allthenewsgroups.com>,
>davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid (Davy) wrote:
>

>>Jon O'Brienwrote:
>>In article
>><b9840$4280ef74$455da0d2$28871@allthenewsgroups.com>,
>>
>>You've proved that your C62s clogged, which is not the same thing.
>>
>>For the Nth time: many people have used Epson inkjet printers for
>>years without having more than the occasional blockage which is easily
>>cleared by running a head cleaning cycle. I'm one of them.
>>
>>Davy replies:
>>Proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt, you like to quote but without
>>any explanation so what is not the same thing....?
>>

>Sorry, I though it was self-evident. There's plenty of doubt.
>
>You said:
>

>>So I say Epsons will clog wheter you use third party inks or genuine
>>inks - I've prove it
>>

>That implies that you've proved that all Epson printers clog, whatever ink
>is being used. You haven't. All you've 'proved' (we'll gloss over the fact
>that no one here has seen any actual proof, we've only read your version
>of events, which doesn't even _prove_ that you've ever owned a printer) is
>that you had clogging problems with several C62s. You can't use your
>limited experience of Epson printers to extrapolate to all models and all
>users. It could be that: a) there's something about the way you used the
>printers that caused the clogging. b) there's something in the environment
>where your printers were kept that caused the clogging (dust, low
>humidity, etc). c) some C62s clog and all the ones you had were in this
>group. d) there was a problem with the C62 design which made it
>susceptible to clogging (which I think someone here suggested may be the
>case).
>

>>Is a head clog not an head clog then, yes I agree there's alot of
>>Epson's about and don't have the trouble that I HAVE EXPERIENCED, but
>>there are complaints about Epsons clogging and not just C62's you only
>>need to look around
>>

>I'm aware of the reports but, as you have pointed out, there are plenty of
>people that don't experience the problem, which makes your statement
>'Epsons will clog' a sweeping generalisation which can be proved false. To
>use your own words: 'I've prove it'.
>

>>The problems arose using GENUINE EPSON INK's so am I right again in
>>saying that original inks are as liable to clog than any other ink?
>>

>It supports the experience of others that Epsons can clog, no matter what
>ink formulation is used. It doesn't prove, one way or the other, that they
>are '...as liable to clog...'. However, it ignores the fact that some
>people /never/ have serious clogging problems, regardless of which inks
>they use.

All of everything said in this post is true. However, very generally it
is known that Epson printers as a class have a greater tendency to clog
than Canon and that Canon, while much smaller, will have a greater
propensity to clog over an HP with cart and head together. While it is
generally true it is equally true that many people have had the right
mix of usage that they did not experience any clogs or just an
occassional one. It is also true, as admitted by the Epson Factory Rep I
spoke with that Epson goes through numerous unasked for cleaning cycles
and uses more ink.

In article <BcKge.1674$Y81.957@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
measekite@yahoo.com (measekite) wrote:

> ...very generally it is known that Epson printers as a class have a
> greater tendency to clog than Canon...

That may be true but without verified figures showing how many experience
clogging as a percentage of units sold it's only speculation. I believe
Epson sells more inkjet printers than Canon in most world markets.

Whatever the truth may be, suggesting that all Epson printers clog is
misleading. More helpful would be to say that clogging in Epson printers
seems, generally, to be unrelated to ink formulation and to pass on to
trying to discover what factors are truly significant. Perspective buyers
can then decide whether or not to buy an Epson based on their projected
usage, environment, etc.

Jon.

Jon O'Brien wrote:

>In article <BcKge.1674$Y81.957@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
>measekite@yahoo.com (measekite) wrote:
>

>>...very generally it is known that Epson printers as a class have a
>>greater tendency to clog than Canon...
>>

>That may be true but without verified figures showing how many experience
>clogging as a percentage of units sold it's only speculation. I believe
>Epson sells more inkjet printers than Canon in most world markets.
>
>Whatever the truth may be, suggesting that all Epson printers clog is
>misleading. More helpful would be to say that clogging in Epson printers
>seems, generally, to be unrelated to ink formulation

Yes but more people who are not using Epson inks appear to be doing more
complaining about clogs.

The message <memo.20050512172831.2156A@blue.compulink.co.uk>
from Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com (Jon O'Brien) contains these words:

> In article <BcKge.1674$Y81.957@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
> measekite@yahoo.com (measekite) wrote:

> > ...very generally it is known that Epson printers as a class have a
> > greater tendency to clog than Canon...

> That may be true but without verified figures showing how many experience
> clogging as a percentage of units sold it's only speculation. I believe
> Epson sells more inkjet printers than Canon in most world markets.

Hi just found this group and topic.
Can one 'unclog' an Epson printer? Has anyone tried? Had any success?
I've tried the nozzle clean etc many times but without success.
Appreciate your thoughts.
Cheers
Jim
PS A Stylus color 440 and a Stylus Color lls

On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:09:24 +0100, J L Williams
<j.l.williams@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

>The message <memo.20050512172831.2156A@blue.compulink.co.uk>
>from Jon@NOonlySPAMbrowsingTHANX.com (Jon O'Brien) contains these words:
>
>> In article <BcKge.1674$Y81.957@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>,
>> measekite@yahoo.com (measekite) wrote:
>
>> > ...very generally it is known that Epson printers as a class have a
>> > greater tendency to clog than Canon...
>
>> That may be true but without verified figures showing how many experience
>> clogging as a percentage of units sold it's only speculation. I believe
>> Epson sells more inkjet printers than Canon in most world markets.
>
>Hi just found this group and topic.
>Can one 'unclog' an Epson printer? Has anyone tried? Had any success?
>I've tried the nozzle clean etc many times but without success.
>Appreciate your thoughts.
>Cheers
>Jim
>PS A Stylus color 440 and a Stylus Color lls

Find a post by Arthur Entlich. Write to him and he'll send you a
manual by email for free on how to unclog.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

BURT

Bottom line - Many people love their Epson printers and the photos they
produce. If they have eventually clogged with OEM or non-OEM inks the good
news is that nearly all head clogs can be completely cleared.
Unfortunately, the user manual only suggests the cleaning cycles from their
software. Luckily we have Arthur Entlich's cleaning manual as a resource
for going beyond clicking the head cleaning button, and almost all Epson
(and many other printers) can be restored to excellent function with very
little effort or time expended. Instead of bemoaning the potential for
clogs we should focus on these simple maintenance steps to keep our printers
functioning. BTW, my Epson Stylus 900 clogged occasionally and I only use
OEM inks in this printer. Easily fixed. My Canon i960 with non-oem
(carefully selected) inks has not clogged yet with almost a year of use.
When it does, I have learned from people who post to this and other forums
how to solve the problem.

Burt wrote:

>Bottom line - Many people love their Epson printers and the photos they
>produce. If they have eventually clogged with OEM or non-OEM inks the good
>news is that nearly all head clogs can be completely cleared.
>Unfortunately, the user manual only suggests the cleaning cycles from their
>software. Luckily we have Arthur Entlich's cleaning manual as a resource
>for going beyond clicking the head cleaning button, and almost all Epson
>(and many other printers) can be restored to excellent function with very
>little effort or time expended. Instead of bemoaning the potential for
>clogs we should focus on these simple maintenance steps to keep our printers
>functioning. BTW, my Epson Stylus 900 clogged occasionally and I only use
>OEM inks in this printer. Easily fixed. My Canon i960 with non-oem
>(carefully selected) inks has not clogged yet with almost a year of use.
>When it does, I have learned from people who post to this and other forums
>how to solve the problem.

When you buy a car you really do not want a maintenance headache. You
want to drive. Well the same should be true about printing. You want
to do photography and enjoy the result; not nursemaid a printer.

>"MikeD" <mike.dunstan@nochance.uk.thalesgroup.com> wrote in message
>

>>"lokki" <lokki@act-1-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>>

>>>Davy,
>>>
>>>100% IPA will attack many poly plastics, iirc. Storebought stuff (here
>>>in the US) is generally 91%, and seems to be pretty kind to most
>>>surfaces. I haven't thought about it much, but I don't see why it
>>>wouldn't work to remove ink. The cleaning fluids we are using tend to
>>>have small amounts of glycerin and a lower vapor pressure so they
>>>don't evaporate as quickly.
>>>
>>>I'm a little hesitant to try it, though, as the thinner IPA might wick
>>>(capillary action) into the ink well - not sure about that, though.
>>>

>>I use IPA from my local chemist (92% I think) for general cleaning inside
>>and outside my printers and it hasn't attacked any of the plastics.
>>
>>For cleaning the nozzles and under the heads I follow Art's recipe for
>>Epson
>>printers and it works brilliantly.
>>
>>Mike

BURT

> Bvrt wrote:
>
>>Bottom line - Many people love their Epson printers and the photos they
>>prodvce. If they have eventvally clogged with OEM or non-OEM inks the
>>good news is that nearly all head clogs can be completely cleared.
>>Unfortvnately, the vser manval only svggests the cleaning cycles from
>>their software. Lvckily we have Arthvr Entlich's cleaning manval as a
>>resovrce for going beyond clicking the head cleaning bvtton, and almost
>>all Epson (and many other printers) can be restored to excellent fvnction
>>with very little effort or time expended. Instead of bemoaning the
>>potential for clogs we shovld focvs on these simple maintenance steps to
>>keep ovr printers fvnctioning. BTW, my Epson Stylvs 900 clogged
>>occasionally and I only vse OEM inks in this printer. Easily fixed. My
>>Canon i960 with non-oem (carefvlly selected) inks has not clogged yet with
>>almost a year of vse. When it does, I have learned from people who post to
>>this and other forvms how to solve the problem.
>>

> When yov bvy a car yov really do not want a maintenance headache. Yov
> want to drive. Well the same shovld be trve abovt printing. Yov want to
> do photography and enjoy the resvlt; not nvrsemaid a printer.

(snip)

Hate to clve yov in on a fact of life, bvt EVERYTHING reqvires some
maintenance and occasional repairs. Even yov and me! Even the most revered
cars with the best Consvmers Union stamp of approval are rated as arriving
with "x" nvmber of defects, and every car I've ever owned, from Porsche to
VW bvg to Honda to Toyota, came with a printed maintenance schedvle and a
dealer with a bvsy repair department. Years back when Jags were plagved
with electrical problems I had friends who continved to bvy and happily
drive them. A few of them were medical professionals who were also skilled
avto mechanics, and they knew exactly what they were bvying and why. Some
additional maintenance was worth the great driving experience to them. To
say nothing of friends who, in spite of the terrible repvtation for
reqviring repairs, loved the way their Ferraris drove and handled. What yov
describe as a headache is, for some, jvst a tradeoff for something they
enjoy vsing. It is the glass half empty vs. the glass half fvll
phylosophy --- yov call it a headache and someone else jvst shrvgs it off as
simple maintenance to vse something they enjoy.

More specifically, my Epson printer only clogged mildly after more than
three years of vse, and an hovr's worth of maintenance at home fixed it.
Not exactly playing nvrsmaid and certainly not a maintenance headache.

The message <01n781h34cduj521k8a7t532ha1u9jjh1o@4ax.com>
from Hecate <hecate@newsguy.com> contains these words:

> >Hi just found this group and topic.
> >Can one 'unclog' an Epson printer? Has anyone tried? Had any success?
> >I've tried the nozzle clean etc many times but without success.
> >Appreciate your thoughts.
> >Cheers
> >Jim
> >PS A Stylus color 440 and a Stylus Color lls

> Find a post by Arthur Entlich. Write to him and he'll send you a
> manual by email for free on how to unclog.

Thanks very kindly. I'll do just that :)
Jim

> Burt wrote:
>
>>Bottom line - Many people love their Epson printers and the photos they
>>produce. If they have eventually clogged with OEM or non-OEM inks the
>>good news is that nearly all head clogs can be completely cleared.
>>Unfortunately, the user manual only suggests the cleaning cycles from
>>their software. Luckily we have Arthur Entlich's cleaning manual as a
>>resource for going beyond clicking the head cleaning button, and almost
>>all Epson (and many other printers) can be restored to excellent function
>>with very little effort or time expended. Instead of bemoaning the
>>potential for clogs we should focus on these simple maintenance steps to
>>keep our printers functioning. BTW, my Epson Stylus 900 clogged
>>occasionally and I only use OEM inks in this printer. Easily fixed. My
>>Canon i960 with non-oem (carefully selected) inks has not clogged yet with
>>almost a year of use. When it does, I have learned from people who post to
>>this and other forums how to solve the problem.
>>

> When you buy a car you really do not want a maintenance headache. You
> want to drive.

So you *never* check the oil, water, tyre pressure, brake fluid levels etc?
I'd hate to be with you when you breakdown.....

Davy,

You are certainly entitled to your anger and frustration with Epson
products based upon your experience with them. It seems the Epson UK
division you dealt with was less that fair or efficient.

However, I will point out (once again, for the sake of fairness) that
there is hardly ANY company that, when replacing the product under
warranty, starts the warranty fresh again.

A few companies occasionally do this as a good will gesture, but it's
very rare. Items that come with lifetime warranties do it, because the
warranty is supposedly for the lifetime of the owner or potential useful
life of the product.

Almost every guarantee or warranty I have read states that should the
product be replaced or repaired under warranty that the product will
have the remainder of the warranty from the original purchase date or
something like 90 days, which ever is longer.

Did you bother to read the warranty that came with your printer? What
did it say?

Art