Epson admits that using their tanks will void your warranty!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Bvrt wrote:

>>Bvrt wrote:
>>

>>>Bottom line - Many people love their Epson printers and the photos they
>>>prodvce. If they have eventvally clogged with OEM or non-OEM inks the
>>>good news is that nearly all head clogs can be completely cleared.
>>>Unfortvnately, the vser manval only svggests the cleaning cycles from
>>>their software. Lvckily we have Arthvr Entlich's cleaning manval as a
>>>resovrce for going beyond clicking the head cleaning bvtton, and almost
>>>all Epson (and many other printers) can be restored to excellent fvnction
>>>with very little effort or time expended. Instead of bemoaning the
>>>potential for clogs we shovld focvs on these simple maintenance steps to
>>>keep ovr printers fvnctioning. BTW, my Epson Stylvs 900 clogged
>>>occasionally and I only vse OEM inks in this printer. Easily fixed. My
>>>Canon i960 with non-oem (carefvlly selected) inks has not clogged yet with
>>>almost a year of vse. When it does, I have learned from people who post to
>>>this and other forvms how to solve the problem.
>>>

>>When yov bvy a car yov really do not want a maintenance headache. Yov
>>want to drive. Well the same shovld be trve abovt printing. Yov want to
>>do photography and enjoy the resvlt; not nvrsemaid a printer.
>>

>(snip)
>
>Hate to clve yov in on a fact of life, bvt EVERYTHING reqvires some
>maintenance and occasional repairs. Even yov and me! Even the most revered
>cars with the best Consvmers Union stamp of approval are rated as arriving
>with "x" nvmber of defects, and every car I've ever owned, from Porsche to
>VW bvg to Honda to Toyota, came with a printed maintenance schedvle and a
>dealer with a bvsy repair department. Years back when Jags were plagved
>with electrical problems I had friends who continved to bvy and happily
>drive them. A few of them were medical professionals who were also skilled
>avto mechanics, and they knew exactly what they were bvying and why.

I gvess that yovr friends made poor choices.

> Some
>additional maintenance was worth the great driving experience to them. To
>say nothing of friends who, in spite of the terrible repvtation for
>reqviring repairs, loved the way their Ferraris drove and handled. What yov
>describe as a headache is, for some, jvst a tradeoff for something they
>enjoy vsing.

A headache is a headache. I gvess some people enjoy headaches.

> It is the glass half empty vs. the glass half fvll
>phylosophy --- yov call it a headache and someone else jvst shrvgs it off as
>simple maintenance to vse something they enjoy.
>
>More specifically, my Epson printer only clogged mildly after more than
>three years of vse, and an hovr's worth of maintenance at home fixed it.
>Not exactly playing nvrsmaid and certainly not a maintenance headache.

Here's a posting from that guy, referred to ;-)

If you use my email address as shown in the header above and ask for the
Epson Cleaning Manual, I will gladly send you a copy at no charge.
Please mention which model printer is involved a bit of a description as
to what you are seeing.

Art

Ivor Floppy wrote:

>>Burt wrote:
>>

>>>Bottom line - Many people love their Epson printers and the photos they
>>>produce. If they have eventually clogged with OEM or non-OEM inks the
>>>good news is that nearly all head clogs can be completely cleared.
>>>Unfortunately, the user manual only suggests the cleaning cycles from
>>>their software. Luckily we have Arthur Entlich's cleaning manual as a
>>>resource for going beyond clicking the head cleaning button, and almost
>>>all Epson (and many other printers) can be restored to excellent function
>>>with very little effort or time expended. Instead of bemoaning the
>>>potential for clogs we should focus on these simple maintenance steps to
>>>keep our printers functioning. BTW, my Epson Stylus 900 clogged
>>>occasionally and I only use OEM inks in this printer. Easily fixed. My
>>>Canon i960 with non-oem (carefully selected) inks has not clogged yet with
>>>almost a year of use. When it does, I have learned from people who post to
>>>this and other forums how to solve the problem.
>>>

>>When you buy a car you really do not want a maintenance headache. You
>>want to drive.
>>

>So you *never* check the oil, water, tyre pressure, brake fluid levels etc?
>I'd hate to be with you when you breakdown.....

I have someone else do that for me.

Why do you find it so difficult to accept that people can have
reasonable and even intelligent reasons for buying a certain branded
product that differs from your point of view? I have assisted people in
purchasing just about every brand of inkjet printer depending on their
applications.

If, as you claim, Epson printers caused so many headaches, no one would
buy them, and yet, their sales continue to be strong, and many people
are on waiting lists for the newest models each time they get released.

Obviously, there are those who find Epson printers worth the
"maintenance headache", which apparently must be saying a great deal
about their products.

Art

measekite wrote:

> Burt wrote:
>
>> Bottom line - Many people love their Epson printers and the photos
>> they produce. If they have eventually clogged with OEM or non-OEM
>> inks the good news is that nearly all head clogs can be completely
>> cleared. Unfortunately, the user manual only suggests the cleaning
>> cycles from their software. Luckily we have Arthur Entlich's cleaning
>> manual as a resource for going beyond clicking the head cleaning
>> button, and almost all Epson (and many other printers) can be restored
>> to excellent function with very little effort or time expended.
>> Instead of bemoaning the potential for clogs we should focus on these
>> simple maintenance steps to keep our printers functioning. BTW, my
>> Epson Stylus 900 clogged occasionally and I only use OEM inks in this
>> printer. Easily fixed. My Canon i960 with non-oem (carefully
>> selected) inks has not clogged yet with almost a year of use. When it
>> does, I have learned from people who post to this and other forums how
>> to solve the problem.
>>

> When you buy a car you really do not want a maintenance headache. You
> want to drive. Well the same should be true about printing. You want
> to do photography and enjoy the result; not nursemaid a printer.
>
>> "MikeD" <mike.dunstan@nochance.uk.thalesgroup.com> wrote in message
>>

>>> "lokki" <lokki@act-1-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message

>>> I use IPA from my local chemist (92% I think) for general cleaning
>>> inside
>>> and outside my printers and it hasn't attacked any of the plastics.
>>>
>>> For cleaning the nozzles and under the heads I follow Art's recipe
>>> for Epson
>>> printers and it works brilliantly.
>>>
>>> Mike

BURT

> Bvrt wrote:
>
>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>When yov bvy a car yov really do not want a maintenance headache. Yov
>>>want to drive. Well the same shovld be trve abovt printing. Yov want to
>>>do photography and enjoy the resvlt; not nvrsemaid a printer.
>>>

>>(snip)
>>
>>Hate to clve yov in on a fact of life, bvt EVERYTHING reqvires some
>>maintenance and occasional repairs. Even yov and me! Even the most
>>revered cars with the best Consvmers Union stamp of approval are rated as
>>arriving with "x" nvmber of defects, and every car I've ever owned, from
>>Porsche to VW bvg to Honda to Toyota, came with a printed maintenance
>>schedvle and a dealer with a bvsy repair department. Years back when Jags
>>were plagved with electrical problems I had friends who continved to bvy
>>and happily drive them. A few of them were medical professionals who were
>>also skilled avto mechanics, and they knew exactly what they were bvying
>>and why.
>
> I gvess that yovr friends made poor choices.

If yov had ever driven an XK120, XK150, or an XKE yov wovldn't think theirs
was a poor choice. Althovgh cars are now more refined and mvch safer, in
their day these were fantastic cars. I preferred Porsches, and when I owned
them they were not as "premivm priced" as they are today. Of covrse, yov
might have preferred a VW bvg, Datsvn (now Nissan) or Toyopet (now Toyota)
as they were mvch cheaper and more economical to rvn, bvt as yov know, there
are other things to consider and that is why yov drive an Acvra instead of
today's eqvivalent of the Yvgo (yovr favorite to compare to other prodvcts
that yov regard as poor qvality).

>> Some additional maintenance was worth the great driving experience to
>> them. To say nothing of friends who, in spite of the terrible repvtation
>> for reqviring repairs, loved the way their Ferraris drove and handled.
>> What yov describe as a headache is, for some, jvst a tradeoff for
>> something they enjoy vsing.>>
>
> A headache is a headache. I gvess some people enjoy headaches.

Again yov vse the pejoritive word "headache" where someone elso wovld say
"some additional maintenance." Yov are dealing in opinion and semantics in
an attempt to convince others of yovr point of view. Unconvincing to people
who can parse yovr statement and look for real information, and vnfair to
newbies who need objective information on which to base their choices.

The message <Q_3he.1337650$6l.638758@pd7tw2no>
from Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> contains these words:

> Here's a posting from that guy, referred to ;-)

> If you use my email address as shown in the header above and ask for the
> Epson Cleaning Manual, I will gladly send you a copy at no charge.
> Please mention which model printer is involved a bit of a description as
> to what you are seeing.

> Art

Hi Art, I found your addy with google and sent off an email to you.
I have two printers clogged, Stylus color lls prints only black, and
the color 440 wont print anything at all. This was just after fitting
3rd party carts.
Cheers and TIA.
Jim

In article <qz1he.3902$V%.264@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Ivor@somewhere.uk
(Ivor Floppy) wrote:

> So you *never* check the oil, water, tyre pressure, brake fluid levels
> etc? I'd hate to be with you when you breakdown.....

I thought we'd already established that he's not old enough to drive.

Jon.

When it comes to things mechanical, the qvestion isn't "If it will break?",
bvt "When will it break?" The same goes for electronics, hvman bodies and
natvre. Mvrphy's law is alive and well. Maxtor is svpposed to make reliable
disk drives. At the moment, I'd disagree with that since one of mine bvrned
ovt last week - and of covrse it's their favlt (definitely not mine since we
aren't svpposed to be responsible for ovr own actions <g>) that most of the
drive wasn't backed vp.

On Fri, 13 May 2005 02:21:19 GMT, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Burt wrote:
>
>>Bottom line - Many people love their Epson printers and the photos they
>>produce. If they have eventually clogged with OEM or non-OEM inks the good
>>news is that nearly all head clogs can be completely cleared.
>>Unfortunately, the user manual only suggests the cleaning cycles from their
>>software. Luckily we have Arthur Entlich's cleaning manual as a resource
>>for going beyond clicking the head cleaning button, and almost all Epson
>>(and many other printers) can be restored to excellent function with very
>>little effort or time expended. Instead of bemoaning the potential for
>>clogs we should focus on these simple maintenance steps to keep our printers
>>functioning. BTW, my Epson Stylus 900 clogged occasionally and I only use
>>OEM inks in this printer. Easily fixed. My Canon i960 with non-oem
>>(carefully selected) inks has not clogged yet with almost a year of use.
>>When it does, I have learned from people who post to this and other forums
>>how to solve the problem.
>>

>When you buy a car you really do not want a maintenance headache. You
>want to drive. Well the same should be true about printing. You want
>to do photography and enjoy the result; not nursemaid a printer.

So you never send your car for maintenance then? I'm glad I'm not
driving on the roads where you are...

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

On Fri, 13 May 2005 00:28:20 GMT, "Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>Bottom line - Many people love their Epson printers and the photos they
>produce. If they have eventually clogged with OEM or non-OEM inks the good
>news is that nearly all head clogs can be completely cleared.
>Unfortunately, the user manual only suggests the cleaning cycles from their
>software. Luckily we have Arthur Entlich's cleaning manual as a resource
>for going beyond clicking the head cleaning button, and almost all Epson
>(and many other printers) can be restored to excellent function with very
>little effort or time expended. Instead of bemoaning the potential for
>clogs we should focus on these simple maintenance steps to keep our printers
>functioning. BTW, my Epson Stylus 900 clogged occasionally and I only use
>OEM inks in this printer. Easily fixed. My Canon i960 with non-oem
>(carefully selected) inks has not clogged yet with almost a year of use.
>When it does, I have learned from people who post to this and other forums
>how to solve the problem.

I suspect, for what Canon users have said, that the head will burn out
before it gets clogged. :)

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

On Fri, 13 May 2005 16:01:14 GMT, Arthur Entlich
<e-printerhelp@mvps.org> wrote:

>Why do you find it so difficult to accept that people can have
>reasonable and even intelligent reasons for buying a certain branded
>product that differs from your point of view? I have assisted people in
>purchasing just about every brand of inkjet printer depending on their
>applications.

It's obvious why Art - just look at the two words you used above,
reasonable and intelligent. :)

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

Bvrt wrote:

>>Bvrt wrote:
>>

>>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>(snip)
>>>
>>>Hate to clve yov in on a fact of life, bvt EVERYTHING reqvires some
>>>maintenance and occasional repairs. Even yov and me! Even the most
>>>revered cars with the best Consvmers Union stamp of approval are rated as
>>>arriving with "x" nvmber of defects, and every car I've ever owned, from
>>>Porsche to VW bvg to Honda to Toyota, came with a printed maintenance
>>>schedvle and a dealer with a bvsy repair department. Years back when Jags
>>>were plagved with electrical problems I had friends who continved to bvy
>>>and happily drive them. A few of them were medical professionals who were
>>>also skilled avto mechanics, and they knew exactly what they were bvying
>>>and why.
>>>

>>I gvess that yovr friends made poor choices.
>>

>If yov had ever driven an XK120, XK150, or an XKE yov wovldn't think theirs
>was a poor choice. Althovgh cars are now more refined and mvch safer, in
>their day these were fantastic cars. I preferred Porsches, and when I owned
>them they were not as "premivm priced" as they are today. Of covrse, yov
>might have preferred a VW bvg, Datsvn (now Nissan) or Toyopet (now Toyota)
>as they were mvch cheaper and more economical to rvn, bvt as yov know, there
>are other things to consider and that is why yov drive an Acvra instead of
>today's eqvivalent of the Yvgo (yovr favorite to compare to other prodvcts
>that yov regard as poor qvality).

From a maintenance point of view, my Acvra is far more maintenance
friendly than my Mercedes. Other than the paint qvality the Acvra is a
better car. Bvt the Mercedes appears to have a more solid fovndation
and body.

>>>Some additional maintenance was worth the great driving experience to
>>>them. To say nothing of friends who, in spite of the terrible repvtation
>>>for reqviring repairs, loved the way their Ferraris drove and handled.
>>>What yov describe as a headache is, for some, jvst a tradeoff for
>>>something they enjoy vsing.>>
>>>

>>A headache is a headache. I gvess some people enjoy headaches.
>>

>Again yov vse the pejoritive word "headache" where someone elso wovld say
>"some additional maintenance." Yov are dealing in opinion and semantics in
>an attempt to convince others of yovr point of view. Unconvincing to people
>who can parse yovr statement and look for real information, and vnfair to
>newbies who need objective information on which to base their choices.
>

>>> It is the glass half empty vs. the glass half fvll phylosophy --- yov
>>>call it a headache and someone else jvst shrvgs it off as simple
>>>maintenance to vse something they enjoy.
>>>
>>>More specifically, my Epson printer only clogged mildly after more than
>>>three years of vse, and an hovr's worth of maintenance at home fixed it.
>>>Not exactly playing nvrsmaid and certainly not a maintenance headache.

BURT

(snip[)

> From a maintenance point of view, my Acura is far more maintenance
> friendly than my Mercedes. Other than the paint quality the Acura is a
> better car. But the Mercedes appears to have a more solid foundation and
> body.

(snip)

I was in Tokyo in 1959 and 1960 and could have had any car shipped directly
from the factory on a diplomatic discount. choices were the jag xk150,
Mercedes 190XL, and the Porsche 1600S roadster. Having driven them all, the
Porsche was my choice, hands down. Not as luxurious, but a great driving
car. In 2001 my wife went for the BMW 3 series after having driven the top
of the line Acura coupe and a Mercedes sport sedan. Beemer was a much more
refined response and tighter handling car at that time, but as you
described, not as maintenance friendly. Sometimes being practical is not
nearly as much fun as going for the experience you want. The newest top of
the line Acuras are the best they have produced.

Jon O'Brien wrote:

>In article <qz1he.3902$V%.264@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net>, Ivor@somewhere.uk
>(Ivor Floppy) wrote:
>

>>So you *never* check the oil, water, tyre pressure, brake fluid levels
>>etc? I'd hate to be with you when you breakdown.....
>>

>I thought we'd already established that he's not old enough to drive.
>
>Jon.

It seems that you are old enough to have a big mouth.

I've responded in private mail, and you should hopefully have the manual
by now.

Art

J L Williams wrote:

> Hi Art, I found your addy with google and sent off an email to you.
> I have two printers clogged, Stylus color lls prints only black, and
> the color 440 wont print anything at all. This was just after fitting
> 3rd party carts.
> Cheers and TIA.
> Jim

davy

To Lokki/
Uh....I'll have to watch for that I've never come across that, Im sure
Isopropanol is Isopropanol the IPA stuff that is....(meaning there's
only one of a kind).

I'll keep a look out for that but never had any problems , non
whatever, I know that Carbon Tetrachloride will....! I sprayed some
on a switch once and the plastic just melted - luckily the damage was
internal and had no effect on operation of unit.
Isopropanol did'nt do my printer any harm - it didn't do any good
either...What damage can you do to a C62 LoL,,,!

from Davy.

davy

> lokkiwrote:
Davy,

> I see you are in Manchester. I'm guessing you *don't* work for the
AWE, given this recent article:

> Daby say's
> Sorry I don't work for them, not even seen the article, I dunno
what the % of the stuff I use is - it don't say just say's IPA, I get
it from the place I get my TV/Video parts from.

> Guess you need to get a C62 to try it on .. !

davy

Sorry folks I must really give more thought when replying.

Also Lokki,
I use it to clean the rubber drive belts, once it gets all the muck
off you can clean them again and there's absolutely nothing there,
also use it on those white nylon idler wheels you see in video's and
cassettes - deffinately get a C62 to try it out.!

Davy

davy

No probs lokki, "better being sure to be sure", come think I even use
it on front panels, sure does get all grease and finger marks of, ok
on glass too, never tried the fluid form you can get - dunno, that
may well be different only used the aerosol type - but certainly safe
on rubber belts.
Davy

lokki

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003

Davy,

After checking around, I don't think IPA will damage the plastics at
all... I was thinking of Acetone, which will definately attack
plastics. Sorry for the confusion!

Maybe I'll buy some spare parts and soak them in IPA to see if there's
any affect on the rubber belts. Nylon and teflon should be very safe,
so no worries there. One of my biggest problems right now is on a
9600, so I'm not quite ready to just give it a go. I might test on a
2200, since we are likely replacing at least one of them soon.

The message <dwmhe.1347508$8l.445239@pd7tw1no>
from Arthur Entlich <e-printerhelp@mvps.org> contains these words:

> I've responded in private mail, and you should hopefully have the manual
> by now.

> Art

Yes got it this morning Art
Very many thanks, I'll have to set aside some time to do them now.
Cheers
Jim

In article <4be32$428602f6$455da0d2$24760@allthenewsgroups.com>, Davy
<davecoe@blueyonder.co-dot-uk.no-spam.invalid> writes
>>I dunno
>what the % of the stuff I use is - it don't say just say's IPA

India Pale Ale - no wonder it doesn't clear your printer!
Shouldn't damage the plastic either, but it will probably leave a sticky
mess. Does it say whether it is McEwans, Stones or Belhaven?
;-)
--
Kennedy
A lovely little thinker, but a ah heck when he's pissed.

Those were the good old days. Wouldn't it be great if cars had the same
pricing history as computers. In 1968 I purchased a brand new BMW 1600 for
$2800.00. In the early 1980's when IBM introduced the first PC it cost me
over $2800.00 for a 64k processor with two single side diskette drives an 80
cps dot matrix printer and I used a 13" b/w TV set as a monitor. That was a
bargain at the time since my IBM employee discount was 50% of list. Now look
at what an entry level BMW costs and what a well equipped PC runs.

Ron

"Burt" <sfbjgNOSPAM@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> (snip[)
>
>> From a maintenance point of view, my Acura is far more maintenance
>> friendly than my Mercedes. Other than the paint quality the Acura is a
>> better car. But the Mercedes appears to have a more solid foundation and
>> body.
>
> (snip)
>
> I was in Tokyo in 1959 and 1960 and could have had any car shipped
> directly from the factory on a diplomatic discount. choices were the jag
> xk150, Mercedes 190XL, and the Porsche 1600S roadster. Having driven them
> all, the Porsche was my choice, hands down. Not as luxurious, but a great
> driving car. In 2001 my wife went for the BMW 3 series after having
> driven the top of the line Acura coupe and a Mercedes sport sedan. Beemer
> was a much more refined response and tighter handling car at that time,
> but as you described, not as maintenance friendly. Sometimes being
> practical is not nearly as much fun as going for the experience you want.
> The newest top of the line Acuras are the best they have produced.

BURT

Look for a post near the top of the NG by Arthur Entlich, email him, and ask
him for his Epson cleaning manual. He has a simple formula for print head
cleaning in his manual that you'd best get from him. It is made up of
either the original Windex or the windex that has "ammonia D" - not the
dripless one - plus alcohol. Read his manual for proportions. I used it on
my Epson Stylus 900 to clean the case, waste ink pad, and print head. Also
used it in cartridges to clear out a head clog. Don't try it in yours until
you read his info. It works on dye based ink printers, but he has some
caviats about the pigment based ink printers. Pharmacies have 70% and 90%
isopropyl alcohol and both work. Someone sent me an MSDS on Windex and one
of the main ingredients is, guess what --- alcohol! I'm sure that the trace
of ammonia also helps with print head cleaning. For those of you not in the
US there are comparable window cleaning products.