Question Equipment connected over Ethernet not working properly after router reset

Apr 14, 2024
Hey all, weird one here. I work from home and last week my internet was not working correctly, so my wife reset our router. My work computer was the only thing connected over Ethernet at the time and I discovered that even after the internet was back up and running again, I could not reconnect on my work computer. I tried a lot of things with my IT department to fix it, but ultimately they just sent me new equipment. I set up the new equipment and it has been working just fine since.

Fast forward to today, my internet stopped working again so I reset our router. My work equipment is once again not working, and to make things worse my personal computer was connected over Ethernet this time and now it’s facing a myriad of issues (i.e. many devices connected to the motherboard such as USB devices, fans, CPU cooler, RAM, and hard drives are constantly disconnecting and reconnecting).

I’m extremely concerned that permanent damage has been done to my PC due to all of this, so any help I can get would be appreciated. Is there any knowledge of something like this happening? Are there any solutions to it? Is my PC screwed now? I need some help figuring out what’s going on. For reference my router is an ASUS AX5700

Ralston18

Titan
Any sense of what tests or changes were done or attempted by your work's IT Dept?

= = = =

Are you making router changes directly into the router via its' IP address (likely 192.168.1.1 ) and a browser or via Asus's Setup Wizard/website?

Make and model modem?

This router?

https://www.asus.com/us/networking-iot-servers/wifi-routers/asus-gaming-routers/rt-ax86u-pro/

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...RT-AX86U_PRO_UM_v2_WEB.pdf?model=RT-AX86U Pro

Does your network look something like the following line diagram? ------> representing an Ethernet cable.

ISP === (coax, DSL, fiber) ===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router [LAN Ports] ----> [LAN Port] wired network devices

and ~~~~ > Wireless network devices.

Feel free to edit and correct my line diagram.

On all affected computers run "ipconfig /all" without quotes via the Command Prompt.

Copy and post the full results here. Be sure to identify each computer.

Redact any personally revealing information: names, company.