[SOLVED] Ergonomics: solution for a desk too high

pegasuslatte

Commendable
Apr 6, 2020
Looking for ergonomic solutions for a desk too high (i.e. on my highest chair height I still need to raise my shoulder to reach the desk) without replacing such desk nor chair (simple reason: no money :(, as for the chair, I've tried looking for chairs that can go higher than the current one, but to no avail).

I think the problem is basically the desk being too high for my body height.

I've tried adding cushions to the chair seat and armrests, but the sitting position becomes awkward and unnatural. As of now my current solution is to use a board as a makeshift lapdesk for my keyboard and mouse, but so far hasn't work great too, as now my legs gets tired quickly holding the weight of the board.

Solution
Desk too high?

IFh8rWq.png

Unfortunately didn't get the green light to cut the desk to size :confused2:

Are you able to post a photograph of the desk?

Be sure to remove any personally identifiable information that might appear in the photograph.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Anywho, found my solution earlier today:
Repurposed my old desk.
It's stupid, but it works, everybody's happy, oh well.
How about getting some chair mats and stacking them? Although if you can buy those, you can get a desk for about the same price, especially used. Or, depending on the material the desk is made of, cut the legs. I'd look for a used desk myself, "no money" is usually not an issue there, you can find desks for very cheap, you don't need a $200 gaming desk, there are plenty out there for about $20-30. You may even be able to find a free one.

pegasuslatte

Commendable
Apr 6, 2020
Is it viable to install a keyboard tray under the desk?

Google "keyboard tray desk" and search.

Revise the search criteria as necessary to narrow down to possible products.

unfortunately it is not :( the board I'm currently using is actually from a keyboard tray I took out from another desk (and yes it does have its own ergonomic issues as well)

How about getting some chair mats and stacking them? Although if you can buy those, you can get a desk for about the same price, especially used. Or, depending on the material the desk is made of, cut the legs. I'd look for a used desk myself, "no money" is usually not an issue there, you can find desks for very cheap, you don't need a $200 gaming desk, there are plenty out there for about $20-30. You may even be able to find a free one.

hmm I haven't tried those, I think there are some carpets laying around I could use to create some sort of level for the chair, but wouldn't I be prone to fall damage with that leveled space on the floor?

My current desk is actually a used one I was able to find in the house (I live with my relatives throughout college), it's an old 80's desk. I'm not sure there's space for another desk, but oh well I'll give it a shot.

pegasuslatte

Commendable
Apr 6, 2020
Desk too high?

IFh8rWq.png

Unfortunately didn't get the green light to cut the desk to size :confused2:

Are you able to post a photograph of the desk?

Be sure to remove any personally identifiable information that might appear in the photograph.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.html

Anywho, found my solution earlier today:
Repurposed my old desk.
It's stupid, but it works, everybody's happy, oh well.

Solution