Ericsson Announces 500mbps Possible Over DSL Copper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
U-Verse is not fiber, or at least not completely. It is fiber to the neighborhood box, but from there to your house is still copper wires.

If they can extend the life of the existing copper infrastructure then great, but if you have to make modifications to the system to improve it, it's better to go ahead and replace it with fiber, as we'll all have to get there eventually anyway.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
U-Verse is still a copper solution in many markets (oddly enough, they use VDSL in such cases). They run fiber to a central node, and then copper to your house. In case you didn't know, your Phone and Cable companies use fiber in the exact same way.

The reason they are still developing DSL solutions is because many markets have only phone lines. In markets where there's no cable or fiber, there's no other options (unless Internet-over-Power ever becomes viable). However, requiring a phone-line setup not present in most cases probably isn't going to help the already under-served markets either.

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
even if 500mbps wont be available to all houses, it still means speeds greater than comcast in 89% of the market. which would make me happy.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]daft[/nom]even if 500mbps wont be available to all houses, it still means speeds greater than comcast in 89% of the market. which would make me happy.[/citation]

Cable has traditionally been faster, and if DSL providers can squeeze even just 100mbps (over a reasonable distance) out of 2pair copper that was laid ages ago, you better believe the cable companies will find similar innovations.

On a note of pride... I had a comment on the article about Charter's tests of upped bandwidth in St. Louis that basically said that if the players in the dsl world don't get to work on improving dsl they'll be gone in no time (due to the fast approaching limitations of 2pair copper, and their business model's dependence on synergies between phone/dsl/tv/cell service bundles that no one would buy anymore if the dsl fell behind).

OH LOOK!! A DSL INVENTION!! :)

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]Technically it's 2 wires, which would constitute 1 pair.[/citation]

Aww, yea, that's what I was trying to say...I suppose 2pair sounded cooler...or something. :)

G

Theoretically a telephone line goes from the house to the nearest node.
A node usually is somewhere in the street, or a couple of streets away.
From the node there's usually a fiberoptic or cupper cable connection to the central.

The most I've been able to get out of my 1pair tiny cupper phoneline would be 8mbps. (about 1MB/s. The node was less than 3miles(5km) away from my house).
I think saying that a phoneline supports 100Mbits is pure bullshit.
Perhaps if you're living next to, or above the phone central!

Even this new technology could only get upto 166Mbits @ 500meters per pair! For the average user it would make little to no difference.

What they should invest in is not faster internet connections, but webpages with less aggressive ads,like sometimes you just want to visit a page, but an ad is taking up 15MB displaying previews of a movie you never asked to see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS