[SOLVED] Error 0xc000000e after accidentally switching off power supply ?

Oct 18, 2021
The power outlet my PC's power strip connects to is attached to a light switch. Yesterday I accidentally flicked it off. When turning the PC back on, I can only boot to my old backup HD. If I go through BIOS, I get the option to boot to the SSD, but I get as screen telling me that it's not detected, and listing error 0xc000000e.

I can boot to my old HD just fine, but not the SSD. I've tried to restore windows to a previous recovery date, but no luck there.

I've seen a similar issue in another thread, that seemed similar but not quite the same thing. In that thread, the issue was resolved when user SkyNetRising was shown some diskpart info.

I'm having troubles getting an image linked in here but I'm on my 2ndary PC in the same room so I'm typing it out below. Here's what I see on diskpart for disks 0 (the SSD) and 1 (the old HD)

Disk 0:
Partition ### Type Size Offset
Partition 1 Reserved 15 MB 17 KB
Partition 2 Primary 931 GB 16 MB

Disk 1:
Partition ### Type Size Offset
Partition 1 Primary 698 GB 1024 KB

Is this info helpful at all to identify the issue? I can give you whatever relevant info you need. Please help if you can.

Edit: I got advice from someone who told me to provide some system info so here goes. Please let me know if there's more info needed.

Device info:
Processor: AMD FX-8350 eight-core processor, 4.01GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
64-bit Windows 10, x64-based processor

Windows 10 Home, 2004 version

B2lvE7o.png

Last edited:
You're not showing all drives in Disk Management screenshot. Disk 0 is not visible. Make another screenshot.
Please list make/model names of all storage devices.

Currently you 're booting from 150GB drive. That's the only bootable drive there (visible in the screenshot).

Oct 18, 2021
Gotcha. I think this one is a little better.

M178Gmk.png

Hardware make and models as listed in Properties. Not sure if it's important or not, but I'm listing them by the "location" under Device Properties. So, <location>: <hardware make/model>
----
Bus Number 0, Target Id 0, LUN 0: WDC WDS100T2B0A-00SM50
Bus Number 0, Target Id 0, LUN 0: SAMSUNG HD753LJ SATA Disk Device
Bus Number 2, Target Id 0, LUN 0: ST316081 5AS SATA Disk Device
on USB Mass Storage Device: SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB Device

So ..
Disk 0 - WD Blue 1TB SSD (WDS100T2B0A)
Disk 1 - Samsung 750GB HDD (HD753LJ)
Disk 2 - Seagate 160GB HDD (ST316081)

Only bootable drive from those is 160 GB HDD (only disk with bootloader partition).
Rest of them are not bootable. You could not have booted from them previously.

Are you saying - you have installed windows on 1TB SSD also?
Did you have 160GB drive also connected, while you installed windows on 1TB drive?

If answer is "yes" to both of those, then fix bootloader by executing from elevated command prompt
bcdboot D:\windows

This adds (or repairs) bootloader boot entry on 160GB drive for windows installed on 1TB drive.

You may also want to run chkdsk on 1TB drive, to fix possible file system errors. Execute from elevated command prompt.
chkdsk d: /f

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2021
Yes everything except the SanDisk was already on the PC when I installed Windows on the 1TB SSD, and the SSD has been working for months. The 160GB drive is what I'm using for work currently.
I'm working currently but I'll run the commands you mentioned after I clock out and I'll post back here.
Thanks a million.

Oct 18, 2021
on USB Mass Storage Device: SanDisk Cruzer Glide USB Device

Yeah it's the flash drive I use for windows boot/repair. I just happened to leave it plugged in this time.

Oct 18, 2021
I ran the command
wm5bvFe.png

I didn't screenshot the check disk, but it had a 0 for the bad sectors result at the end.

But it still doesn't show boot for the SSD
5L9GfmM.png

I haven't tried to load into it yet, but shouldn't it reflect something similar to what's listed for the C drive?

Oct 18, 2021
Again, I really appreciate the assistance. But for me to help keep this from happening, can you fill me in a little on how this might have happened and how the fix worked?

Again, I really appreciate the assistance. But for me to help keep this from happening, can you fill me in a little on how this might have happened and how the fix worked?
Always have only single drive connected, while installing windows.
If you don't follow that, you don't control, where bootloader partition gets created.
Result is - drive with windows on it does not necessary is made bootable. You can't boot into windows without this other drive (with bootloader on it).

If bootloader gets corrupted, then you fix it with bcdboot command.

Oct 18, 2021
Always have only single drive connected, while installing windows.
If you don't follow that, you don't control, where bootloader partition gets created.
Result is - drive with windows on it does not necessary is made bootable. You can't boot into windows without this other drive (with bootloader on it).

If bootloader gets corrupted, then you fix it with bcdboot command.

That makes sense. Thanks for the info and advice.

TRENDING THREADS