Question Error : BIOS is write-protected (AFUWIN)

Jun 22, 2019
Hello , i got the last bios update for my motherboard , but before open the afuwin tool , it says Error:Bios is write-protected. Its the correct afuwin , cause i used it more times , also i tryed afudos but gives me the same message , and in bios there is no option to disable-enable write-protection. Also my motherboard doesnt have jumper of that .There is any way can i flash it ? Thanks

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
My Advice is to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER flash a BIOS from within Windows.
Go to your motherboards support page and download their DOS flash utility and flash from a FAT32 USB stick OR use a FAT32 USB stick to flash using the built-in BIOS flash utility if your motherboard has one.

And that message can mean that you are trying to flash a BIOS that is NOT compatible with your motherboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: AllanGH
Jun 22, 2019
My Advice is to NEVER, NEVER, NEVER flash a BIOS from within Windows.
Go to your motherboards support page and download their DOS flash utility and flash from a FAT32 USB stick OR fuse a FAT32 stick to flash using the built-in BIOS flash utility if your motherboard has one.

And that message can mean that you are trying to flash a BIOS that is NOT compatible with your motherboard.
The bios im trying to flash with my motherboard its teh correct , the program just dont open , before i put teh rom file , so its not about bad update , and i checked it and its the right bios.

As of November of 2014, HP had not posted updated BIOS code for the H-RS880-uATX, and that motherboard was 5 years-old at that time. It's 2019, and that motherboard is 10 years old, now.

If you have BIOS code, it is very likely NOT designed for your motherboard, as HP was very unlikely to have issued revised BIOS code since that time.

Whatever you think you have, you are better-off deleting it, and forgetting about it.

Jun 22, 2019
That is an HP/Compaq OEM motherboard.
What exact Model PC do you have ?
And a link to the BIOS download page for both versions would be very helpful.
Its a HP p6540y , here is the page with the bios : https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...p6500-desktop-pc-series/4162263/model/4216282 , that dont work for me cause write-protection, so i extracted the .rom file , tryed afuwin but gives me that messages again. I know there is other model of the same computer , its that model exactly which i send you . The bios 6.04 i dont have link because is old . Thanks

Jun 22, 2019
As of November of 2014, HP had not posted updated BIOS code for the H-RS880-uATX, and that motherboard was 5 years-old at that time. It's 2019, and that motherboard is 10 years old, now.

If you have BIOS code, it is very likely NOT designed for your motherboard, as HP was very unlikely to have issued revised BIOS code since that time.

Whatever you think you have, you are better-off deleting it, and forgetting about it.
I dont want forget it about i just need help to flashing without the write-protection error

Jun 22, 2019
Are you attempting the flash as administrator?

If not, then login as administrator and try it again.

This BIOS code is from 2013, and I missed it in my HP search on the MB model number.
Hopefully it does something beneficial for you.
Yes , i even used the super-admin account , and it gives me the sam message. I need a way to force teh flash or something , im pretty sure its teh correct bios , but dont let me cause i have enable the write-protection option , but i have no way to disable it.

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I would try using AFUDOS 4 from a USB stick formatted to FAT32.
Sometimes using the incorrect AFUDOS version can cause issues.
Also rename the BIOS file to alo609.rom and follow the instructions in the text file:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ybzoh83y3s3lcd8/AMI_AFUDOS_4.xx.rar/file

And if it still throws errors I would ask on some HP specific sites and see if others with your exact same PC have any advice.

Jun 22, 2019
I would try using AFUDOS 4 from a USB stick formatted to FAT32.
Sometimes using the incorrect AFUDOS version can cause issues.
Also rename the BIOS file to alo609.rom and follow the instructions in the text file:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ybzoh83y3s3lcd8/AMI_AFUDOS_4.xx.rar/file

And if it still throws errors I would ask on some HP specific sites and see if others with your exact same PC have any advice.
I tryed afudos , i have tryed putting that name to the file , and do the normal flash , and tells me the same.There is some way i can force it or other flaser programs ?