Error Checking Not Working....

The error-checking program does not run after restarting the computer, as it
is supposed to. Defrag does. Soon after bootup the program identifies the
NTFS system and then says that it can't proceed because it cannot gain
direct access to the system.
Along with this problem, the tray icons that should appear in the tray at
startup do not; nor are the little double-arrows there that would allow me
to see other icons that are not showing. I don't know if these conditions
are related or not so am including them all here.
Also, I have recently removed the Norton Personal Firewall 2002 and
installed Zone Alarm, v. 5.0.590.
Would appreciate any guidance on this.
Thanks.
Bob

Uninstall ZoneAlarm and try again.

David Nimon
dnimonREMOVE@##sympatico.ca
"rdbr" <rdbr@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> The error-checking program does not run after restarting the computer, as
it
> is supposed to. Defrag does. Soon after bootup the program identifies the
> NTFS system and then says that it can't proceed because it cannot gain
> direct access to the system.
> Along with this problem, the tray icons that should appear in the tray at
> startup do not; nor are the little double-arrows there that would allow me
> to see other icons that are not showing. I don't know if these conditions
> are related or not so am including them all here.
> Also, I have recently removed the Norton Personal Firewall 2002 and
> installed Zone Alarm, v. 5.0.590.
> Would appreciate any guidance on this.
> Thanks.
> Bob

| "rdbr" <rdbr@bellsouth.net.INVALID>
| wrote in message news:1JAHc.32504$XF5.9464@bignews4.bellsouth.net
| The error-checking program does not run <SNIP> [it] says that
| it can't proceed because it cannot gain direct access to the
| system. <SNIP> I have recently removed the Norton Personal
| Firewall 2002 and installed Zone Alarm, v. 5.0.590. <SNIP>

If by writing "cannot gain direct access to the System" you meant:
"Cannot Open Volume for Direct Access", then this is a
well-known problem. For more information see the following
Microsoft Knowledge Base article:

KB823439 - "Cannot Open Volume for Direct Access" Error
Message When Chkdsk Runs at Startup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;823439

To quote Jerold Schulman - Windows: General MVP, from
his "JSI, INC_ - Tips & Tricks" web page on the subject:

"There is currently no fix for this problem. When a solution becomes
available, Microsoft will probably release a hotfix, or provide a
workaround. If a hotfix becomes available, Microsoft will include the
fix in a Windows XP service pack. NOTE: You may have success if
you schedule Chkdsk to run at startup and use the /X switch, which
will force a dismount."

For the entire article see the "JSI, INC_ - Tips & Tricks" web
page on the subject:

JSI Tip 7079_ You receive 'Cannot open volume for direct access'
when Chkdsk runs during Windows XP startup
http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBO/tip7000/rh7079.htm

Else....

If Jerold's suggesting to force a dismount does not work you may
want to try the resolution given by the following Web Site, which
implicates 3rd party kernel-mode drivers:

Computer Technical Support Forums
All Forums | SOFTWARE SUPPORT | Operating Systems: Microsoft
MyTechSupport_ca - Cannot open volume for direct access
http://www.mytechsupport.ca/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3503

In brief, MyTechSupport says to:

Run msconfig. Select a Diagnostic Startup of Basic Devices and
Services Only. Use the method of your choice to schedule chkdsk
to run when you restart your computer. And then reboot.

Else...

If Zone Alarm is the cause of the problem then perhaps one of the
three following suggestions could help:

Suggestion One:

Install the latest version of Zone Alarm. For more information see the
following Google Groups archived newsgroup post:

From: "Adm C" <admchrissnospam@nospamhotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Error checking won't work
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 20:44:54 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize

Are you running third party firewall such as zone alarm?

If so I can provide one ZA answer that worked for me - in ZA:

You can go into ZoneAlarm (ZA) 5, go to the overview tab then preferences

UNcheck the PROTECT ZA CLIENT

That is what is protecting your firewall from malware and locking the hard
drive from a scan

Do the chkdsk then follow same steps and reenable for max protection

Adm C
----- End Original Message -----

Else...

If Norton Personal Firewall 2002 the cause of the problem then I do not
know what to suggest since Google came up empty. This is what Symantec
has to say about the chkdsk.exe error message and Symantec AntiVirus
Corporate Edition 9.0 on Microsoft Windows XP, though:

"Symantec is aware of this problem, and there is no solution at this time. We
will continue to track this problem, and this document will be updated if new
information or a solution is found."

For more information see the following Web Page:

Chkdsk_exe or ScanDisk fails to run on Windows XP after installing
Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9_0

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/529c2f9adcf33a1088256e22005026f1/52d79c84c363973488256ea600542b5a