Error installing programs Windows 10

Alexis_17

Commendable
May 14, 2016
So here is my issue. Certain programs have problems installing. At first it was Office 2016, now it is the drivers for my new gtx 1060 gpu. I believe this started when i tried to change my registry settings to have games install onto my D drive since my C drive didnt have that kind of space. I get errors like "system couldnt find the specified path"d, and installation errors for Office near the end of installation process

Solution

If you can't "fix it", the only recourse is a full wipe and reinstall.
Screwing around with the Registry is not to be done lightly.

And changing the default location for applications like that is a fast way to killing the OS.

USAFRet

Titan

Yes, changing the default install location in the Registry WILL screw things up.

Change it back, if you still can.
Some things expect to be installed on the C drive, and can't be changed. Some Office installs are like that.

What size is this C drive?

Alexis_17

Commendable
May 14, 2016

Didnt mean to downvote.
And I dont know if I can, I dont remember exactly what I changed. The C drive is a 120gb SSD.

USAFRet

Titan

If you can't "fix it", the only recourse is a full wipe and reinstall.
Screwing around with the Registry is not to be done lightly.

And changing the default location for applications like that is a fast way to killing the OS.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
For Steam games, this:
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

I believe Origin has a similar function.

Alexis_17

Commendable
May 14, 2016

Ok bet, I shouldnt have any issue doing this aside from migrating my windows key which is a whole other issue. I would have to put windows 10 on a USB becuase I have tried doint it from the "Reset PC" option which, now that I think of it, isn't really the same thing.

USAFRet

Titan

Reinstall on the same hardware should not require the Windows license key.
When it asks, skip and go to the next step. It should activate itself when it goes online later.

Create your own USB here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Then: How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Later, how to actually redirect things that you don't want on the SSD:
Win 7 & 8: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-1834397/ssd-redirecting-static-files.html
Win 8.1 & 10: http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2024314/windows-redirecting-folders-drives.html

Alexis_17

Commendable
May 14, 2016

Quick update, I tried to install the Windows 10 installation media onto the usb drive and it gave me an error at the end ? /;
Is there another way to get the windows 10 installtion media onto a USB? I seen a page that said to simply copy the WIndows 10 folder to the USB drive? Would that work at all or

USAFRet

Titan

Wherever you read to just copy the windows folder to a USB...ignore that person completely and forever. It doesn't work like that.

What exact error did you get?

TRENDING THREADS