Error: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

arifkhanmsc

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
In Windows 7 Professional I got an error saying that "the trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed" while logging in. Can anyone help me?

Solution
Relationship issues are fun!!

When you try to access a computer running Windows NT Server or Workstation that is a member of your domain with one of the following method, and it fails... it will show this message:

System Error 1789 has occurred. The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.

Cause:

The computer's machine account has the incorrect role or its password has become mismatched with that of the domain database.

Fix:

Log on locally as a local administrator (If you can). In the Network tool of Control Panel, select Change and enter a Workgroup name, leaving the domain. Restart the computer and log on locally as a local administrator.

Or

You can delete the existing computer account in...

Combat Wombat

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2011
Relationship issues are fun!!

When you try to access a computer running Windows NT Server or Workstation that is a member of your domain with one of the following method, and it fails... it will show this message:

System Error 1789 has occurred. The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed.

Cause:

The computer's machine account has the incorrect role or its password has become mismatched with that of the domain database.

Fix:

Log on locally as a local administrator (If you can). In the Network tool of Control Panel, select Change and enter a Workgroup name, leaving the domain. Restart the computer and log on locally as a local administrator.

Or

You can delete the existing computer account in Server Manager, recreate the computer account, synchronize the domain, and then on the client rejoin the domain.

Solution

Freakykiwi

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
I've struck this issue a few times, always with Windows 7 clients and Server 2003.
If you can't log in locally try logging in as a domain administrator with the network disconnected (unplug LAN and disable wireless), this will allow the use of cached credentials.

Once your in ..
Reset the local administrator password
log off and on as the local administrator to test it
Disjoin the domain (change to a workgroup member instead)
Restart as prompted
Rejoin the domain

malikipat

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
If you get stuck while working on workstation on your computer and giving annoying error error message then your should first remove the your antivirus software which may gives you such rogue activity. In order to safely remove such infection you can use an automatic spyware removal tool. which easily remove this infection and protect your PC from further corruptions. You can also use this application to remove the Windows Secure Workstation virus easily using this automatic removal tool.

For more information visit: http://www.adwareremovalprograms.net/easily-uninstall-fake-windows-secure-workstation-rogue-anti-spyware-program

moulderhere

Distinguished
I get this a lot in a friends company he runs.

We figured that the only way to fix it permanently. Is to get the pc off the network by removing it from domain via system properties having it as a workgroup instead.

Then going into A.D. finding the pc deleting it from A.D.
Restart the pc
Re-add the pc to the domain.

TMinus36

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
I had this issue with a Windows Server 2012 180 eval acting as the AD Primary for a Windows 7 client. These are the steps I just followed a few minutes ago to alleviate the issue.

1) I logged into the AD, went into the AD Domains and Trusts area.
2) Found the domain, right clicked and went to manage.
3) Found the machine in question under the "Computers" tab, right clicked, and "Reset Account".
4) Tried logging in the user on the client machine in question.

Upon attempting to login from the client it was successful. The login took about 2 minutes to complete so it must have been reconnecting the "relationship".

-TMinus36

Joseph Moody

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
If might be easier if you used PowerShell to fix this. You can use the test-computersecurechannel command to test and repair the connection.

If needed, here is a detailed guide:

http://deployhappiness.com/the-trust-relationship-between-this-workstation-and-the-primary-domain-failed/

Spectre13

Reputable
Apr 8, 2014

Freakykiwi: You are a freaking genius. This was simple and painless. Thank you very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.