[SOLVED] Ethernet cable in the shed: how to make it WiFi? WAP?

frariky

Reputable
Sep 13, 2019
Hi all,
I recently built a shed in the garden and I run a working ethernet cable in it.
In order to create a WiFi, is a WAP (WiFi access point) the best solution for me?
If yes, which WAP is the best quality/price (value for money) to buy?

I'm checking this one: NETGEAR AC2000 but I'm not sure if it is what I need.

Thank you very much for your advice

Solution
Attach any access point or router set up as an access point with an LAN to LAN connection.

Then set the AP (router)settings: make sure DHCP is off on the AP router, give it an IP address in the network range but outside of the main router DHCP assignment range (so it will be static or reserved dynamic), set up the wireless as you wish (same or different SSID/key) and for the 2.4 GHz radio use a different radio channel choosing among 1, 6, and 11 (the non-overlapping channels).

I generally use a cheap AC router (like TP-Link for the AP) but that Netgear would be fine.

RealBeast

Titan
Attach any access point or router set up as an access point with an LAN to LAN connection.

Then set the AP (router)settings: make sure DHCP is off on the AP router, give it an IP address in the network range but outside of the main router DHCP assignment range (so it will be static or reserved dynamic), set up the wireless as you wish (same or different SSID/key) and for the 2.4 GHz radio use a different radio channel choosing among 1, 6, and 11 (the non-overlapping channels).

I generally use a cheap AC router (like TP-Link for the AP) but that Netgear would be fine.

Reactions: frariky
Solution

eldridgep2

Commendable
Dec 24, 2020
Hi all,
I recently built a shed in the garden and I run a working ethernet cable in it.
In order to create a WiFi, is a WAP (WiFi access point) the best solution for me?
If yes, which WAP is the best quality/price (value for money) to buy?

I'm checking this one: NETGEAR AC2000 but I'm not sure if it is what I need.

Thank you very much for your advice

If you use the WAP you mention above in the shed ignore the bit in the post above about DHCP etc you don't need that. It's only if you use a second router as WAP that you would need to do this, the WAP won't conflict with your existing router at all.

You can get free Wi-Fi scanning apps for your phone that will show what channels are in use in your location, pick a channel that is NOT used and you should avoid any interference.

Reactions: frariky

frariky

Reputable
Sep 13, 2019
If you use the WAP you mention above in the shed ignore the bit in the post above about DHCP etc you don't need that. It's only if you use a second router as WAP that you would need to do this, the WAP won't conflict with your existing router at all.

You can get free Wi-Fi scanning apps for your phone that will show what channels are in use in your location, pick a channel that is NOT used and you should avoid any interference.
Thank you for your reply.
This reassures me because it looks like the procedure will be less complicated