[SOLVED] Ethernet capped at 150mbps

Sep 30, 2020
So about a month ago, I built my new PC. I used the Asus TUF Gaming x570 motherboard. When I first connected my PC to ethernet in my room's port and did a speed test, I got around 950mbps download and upload, as we have the gigabit plan. That was normal.

However, about 2-3 weeks later, I did another speed test and the speeds suddenly dropped to about 150mbps download and 200mbps upload. I don't understand how this could be possible. I don't recall downloading anything that could affect the adapter in my motherboard.

I am sure there isn't anything wrong with the cable, as I tried the same cable, same port, on my dad's Macbook Pro and he was getting around 950mbps speeds.

Some more information:
It is a CAT6 port and my motherboard has the Realtek Gaming GBe Family Controller.

Things I tried:
  • Checking for driver updates
  • Testing same cable, same port on another computer.
  • Changing to 1Gbp/s full duplex in adapter settings
  • Virus scan

But still the same, slow speeds. Any solutions?

kanewolf

Titan
So about a month ago, I built my new PC. I used the Asus TUF Gaming x570 motherboard. When I first connected my PC to ethernet in my room's port and did a speed test, I got around 950mbps download and upload, as we have the gigabit plan. That was normal.

However, about 2-3 weeks later, I did another speed test and the speeds suddenly dropped to about 150mbps download and 200mbps upload. I don't understand how this could be possible. I don't recall downloading anything that could affect the adapter in my motherboard.

I am sure there isn't anything wrong with the cable, as I tried the same cable, same port, on my dad's Macbook Pro and he was getting around 950mbps speeds.

Some more information:
It is a CAT6 port and my motherboard has the Realtek Gaming GBe Family Controller.

Things I tried:
  • Checking for driver updates
  • Testing same cable, same port on another computer.
  • Changing to 1Gbp/s full duplex in adapter settings
  • Virus scan

But still the same, slow speeds. Any solutions?
Do you have the "Asus Turbo LAN" software loaded ?

Sep 30, 2020

kanewolf

Titan
Wow thank you, that actually worked! I didn't know it would be so simple as enabling one setting. My download speed is now in the 800s-900s which is looking good, however my upload speed is in the 300s-400s (it used to be 900+)... so I would prefer if there's another possible solution which could boost that up. Thanks
Are you going to benefit from the upload change? You can always toggle the value back and forth. 400Mbit upload is plenty fast even if you are doing cloud backups.
Most people live with under 100Mbit upload.