Ethernet configuration/trouble shooting fails

Oct 17, 2018
I have a Cox modem with cable connection from the street. I installed 3 Cat 6 ethernet lines, each (3) connected to a port on a 4 port switch. with the 4th port being connected from the 4Hubs to an Apple Extreme WIFI router. When I try to default Android devices to ethernet, the ethernet will not connect. but each device can and does receive WIFI. I wanted to go ethernet to improve signal and avoid buffering, but all I have is new wires in the walls and a 4 port device that only talks to my Airport Extreme. Please advise as I am inescapably backward in the area of electronics. Thank you

Solution
The order has to be modem -> router -> switch -> devices.
You have modem -> switch -> devices and router

The router gets the only public IP address from the modem. The other devices connected to the switch do not get an IP address. That is unless your "modem" isn't really a modem but is a modem/router combo. How many ethernet ports does the "modem" have ?? One or more than one?

kanewolf

Titan
The order has to be modem -> router -> switch -> devices.
You have modem -> switch -> devices and router

The router gets the only public IP address from the modem. The other devices connected to the switch do not get an IP address. That is unless your "modem" isn't really a modem but is a modem/router combo. How many ethernet ports does the "modem" have ?? One or more than one?

Solution
Oct 17, 2018
There are 2 ethernet ports on the DAR8200 "modem". At one time I read a statement that the 2d ethernet connection was not recommended for use. Ididn't care as I only need the one. If I understand, I Ethernet fro the DAR 8200 to the Apple WIFI router, ethernet plug the 4 hub switch into an ethernet port on the AE WIFI router, then plug the ethernet cables (3) into the port to service the ethernet cable lines to the various parts of the house. I will reconfigure as indicated above tomorrow unless directed otherwise by the forum.

Thank you so much for the quick and expansive response.

Oct 17, 2018
Re-wired according to instruction, am now receiving 119 Mbs v. 30 Mbs under wifi. Notice that buffering is still an issue at times, but at least it isn't due to the internal configuration. Thanks so much for the clear discussion and instruction.