Question Ethernet converter

connor.j2000

Honorable
Aug 21, 2017
Just moved house and can’t hardwire from the PC to the router for various reasons.

The house does have internal wiring though, but is Cat5e compatible only - cat 8 cable doesn’t click in.

My PC though doesn’t take Cat5e cables - likewise it won’t click in.

Is there some sort of converter I can buy? Whether it’s Cat5e to Cat8 or ethernet to USB? My Wireless Card doesn’t work and to be honest I don’t want to rely on wireless.

Thanks in advance.

All ethernet cable use RJ45 ends they should all be the same.

What cables do you actually have. Do you have both a cat5e and what you call a cat8. Are you saying neither of these will fit into your and router or pc.

What is the model number of your pc. Does it say in the specs it has a ethernet port.

Maybe post photos of the wall jacks and your pc. My guess would if a ethernet cable will not plug into the wall jack the wall jack is actually a telephone connection. If that is true and you are very lucky it might be possible to change it over to ethernet but there are lots of details that might prevent it.

The house does have internal wiring though, but is Cat5e compatible only - cat 8 cable doesn’t click in.
Why are you using cat8 when the connecting cable is just cat5 in the first place ?

I bet it's just the plastic cap fitted on top of the rj45 plug that makes it difficult to plug it into the socket. A new cat5e replacement cable is normally dirt cheap anyway.