Question "Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration" ?

May 30, 2022
My friend has had very laggy internet for the few days (only on his PC) prior to that error message appearing and now he gets no internet on his computer at all.
The troubleshooter says "Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration "

His motherboard is a MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge Wifi so it still has wifi on it.

Try the IPCONIFIG /all command. This should show you the ip addresses if any you get. What you are looking for mostly is to see if it is in disconnected state which is a hardware issue mostly.

What you might try is to manually set the IPV4 addresses in the nic configuration. Look at the wifi that is working again using the ipconfig command to see what you need to set. I would not use the same IP, change the last part of the ip to say 250 so it does not conflict with other devices on the network.

May 30, 2022
Try the IPCONIFIG /all command. This should show you the ip addresses if any you get. What you are looking for mostly is to see if it is in disconnected state which is a hardware issue mostly.

What you might try is to manually set the IPV4 addresses in the nic configuration. Look at the wifi that is working again using the ipconfig command to see what you need to set. I would not use the same IP, change the last part of the ip to say 250 so it does not conflict with other devices on the network.
Didn't work for him

kanewolf

Titan
OK, see where it says "DHCP enabled" and the setting is NO. That would be a problem. You want DHCP enabled in most cases. Unless there is not a router to be a DHCP server, which is VERY unusual in a home setting, you want DHCP enabled. That would be in the IPv4 settings on the adapter.

May 30, 2022
OK, see where it says "DHCP enabled" and the setting is NO. That would be a problem. You want DHCP enabled in most cases. Unless there is not a router to be a DHCP server, which is VERY unusual in a home setting, you want DHCP enabled. That would be in the IPv4 settings on the adapter.
How would he get to IPv4 settings?