Question Ethernet is super slow and is even slower than wifi at times ?

Dec 27, 2021
I have a gaming pc that I recently built, and I'm using ethernet. The thing is though, that it's super slow. Games take forever to update on steam, my friends mics constantly starts stuttering on discord, and its a challenge sometimes to watch YouTube videos at 1080p or 1440p. I'm wondering if a lot if the network speeds at my house are just slow, but at the same time, the Wi-Fi works great on my phone and laptop. So does anyone know if I just have a slow network, or if there is something that i could do to my pc to make it faster ?

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full gaming pc hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, condition?

Disk drive(s): make, model, capacity, how full?

How long ago did you build the pc? History of heavy gaming use - correct?

Are any other household computers slow? How many devices (wired and wireless) are on your network?

= = = =

On your computer:

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance. Use both tools but only one at a time.

Boot the computer and simply observe performance. Then run Steam, discord, etc, as usual.

Watch for what changes with respect to resources being used, to what extent (%), and what is using any given resource.

There may be something that could be done to make your pc faster.

However, it is very important to discover why the pc is slow or becoming slow.

I have a gaming pc that I recently built, and I'm using ethernet. The thing is though, that it's super slow. Games take forever to update on steam, my friends mics constantly starts stuttering on discord, and its a challenge sometimes to watch YouTube videos at 1080p or 1440p. I'm wondering if a lot if the network speeds at my house are just slow, but at the same time, the Wi-Fi works great on my phone and laptop. So does anyone know if I just have a slow network, or if there is something that i could do to my pc to make it faster ?

These days it's possible for WiFi to be faster than ethernet, but there's no reason for ethernet to be so slow that it bothers you. There are many possibilities that could explain why things are slower on the Desktop than on the mobile devices, so first thing should be trying to figure out what is causing the slowdown (don't assume it's the ethernet connection yet). A few things to check:

1. As mentioned by Ralston18, check for resource bottlenecks. I recommend Perfmon, be sure to check "Avg. Disk Queue Length"
  2. Do you have any software that might be interferring with network connections? (Think anti-malware and VPN services primarily, but also those vendor specific network "boosters" like ASUS Gamefirst). Turn all that off while troubleshooting
  3. When experiencing those slow downloads, are they consistently slow at a particular rate? This could indicate something is "capping" your bandwidth. If you have a 300mbps connection and your downoads cap at 10MB/s, it could be that the device on the other end is limited to 10/100 ethernet.