[SOLVED] Ethernet not Working

Jan 9, 2020
I just built a new PC, and have a ASRock B450M HDV motherboard. I do not have a wireless network adapter, but from what I've read I should still be able to use ethernet. However, my ethernet does not show up in networking and neither does my mac address. I've tried installing the drivers, reinstalling windows etc and nothing works. I get the error "The Realtek Network Controller was not found" when trying to install drivers. What does this mean and how do I fix it? Do I have to have a separate wifi card for it to work? Or is my motherboard faulty, meaning I would need to get another?

Solution
FYI:

http://www.meridianoutpost.com/resources/articles/command-line/ping.php

Note the Section regarding 127.0.0.1 just past 1/2 way down.

What options are you seeing? Someone may recognize the applicable setting and what value/selection/choice should be made. Or recognize that something else is wrong.....

If you can go into Device Manager and see the adapter just disable it and uninstall the device.

And I found this very recent link via Microsoft:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-network/6a8ceb00-18fc-4022-a43f-5c16a825ecf8

However, the thread seems to have languished.....

Following along the "kernel debug" theme I came across this next link...

Ralston18

Titan
Any indicator/status LEDS on the motherboard's ethernet port?

There should be two lights: one at the top left and one at the top right of the ethernet port which is just to the left of the audio ports.

On your new PC. Do you see the network adapter in Device Manager?

Check Device Manager > View. Is the "Show hidden devices" checked?

Also run and post the results of "ipconfig /all". That should list the installed wired network adapter.

Do you see any replies if you ping 127.0.0.1?

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The trouble shooters may find and fix something.

Jan 9, 2020
Any indicator/status LEDS on the motherboard's ethernet port?

There should be two lights: one at the top left and one at the top right of the ethernet port which is just to the left of the audio ports.

On your new PC. Do you see the network adapter in Device Manager?

Check Device Manager > View. Is the "Show hidden devices" checked?

Also run and post the results of "ipconfig /all". That should list the installed wired network adapter.

Do you see any replies if you ping 127.0.0.1?

Try running the built in Windows troubleshooters. The trouble shooters may find and fix something.
Hey, thanks for the response.
I see the LEDs next to the ethernet port however they are not lit up. I didn't originally see the network adapter in Device Manager, but after showing hidden devices I see "Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter" and then a bunch of WAN Miniport entries under Network Adapters.
For ipconfig/all, I get the results:

Host Name .....: DESKTOP-XXXXXX
Primary Dns Suffix......: (blank)
Node Type.....: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled.....: No
WINS Proxy Enabled.....: No

And that's it.
When I ping 127.0.0.1, I get 4 replies that each say "bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128" and at the end it says 4 packets sent and received and average 0ms times for round trip times.

The built in windows troubleshooter simply gives me the same "Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter" message. Any tips from here?

Hey, thanks for the response.
I see the LEDs next to the ethernet port however they are not lit up. I didn't originally see the network adapter in Device Manager, but after showing hidden devices I see "Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter" and then a bunch of WAN Miniport entries under Network Adapters.
For ipconfig/all, I get the results:

Host Name .....: DESKTOP-XXXXXX
Primary Dns Suffix......: (blank)
Node Type.....: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled.....: No
WINS Proxy Enabled.....: No

And that's it.
When I ping 127.0.0.1, I get 4 replies that each say "bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128" and at the end it says 4 packets sent and received and average 0ms times for round trip times.

The built in windows troubleshooter simply gives me the same "Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter" message. Any tips from here?

Did you check that the on board NIC is enabled in the BIOS?????

Jan 9, 2020

Ralston18

Titan
FYI:

http://www.meridianoutpost.com/resources/articles/command-line/ping.php

Note the Section regarding 127.0.0.1 just past 1/2 way down.

What options are you seeing? Someone may recognize the applicable setting and what value/selection/choice should be made. Or recognize that something else is wrong.....

If you can go into Device Manager and see the adapter just disable it and uninstall the device.

And I found this very recent link via Microsoft:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...-network/6a8ceb00-18fc-4022-a43f-5c16a825ecf8

However, the thread seems to have languished.....

Following along the "kernel debug" theme I came across this next link:

https://appuals.com/ethernet-doesnt-have-a-valid-ip-configuration/

The link offers a number of things to look and possible solutions.

Note the Section regarding "Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter" about 1/3 of the way down.

Solution
Enabling for the onboard network adapter appears to be on this page:

Screenshot-1-10-2020-9-07-47-PM.jpg

If it is already enabled in your BIOS, yet still nothing showing on the PC side, send us a picture of Device Manager, specifically where it relates to Network Adapters or unknown devices.

Also, if your BIOS looks nothing like image above, make sure you have listed the correct board in post #1 - ASRock B450M-HDV.