Question Ethernet Ports Not Working in a New Apartment

Feb 27, 2024
I recently got my internet installed at my apartment. The technician told me that the Ethernet ports in the living room and bedroom would be active when he was done, but they do not work. I looked at the modem and there are a few internet wires hanging next to it without connectors attached. What would be the best way to fix this so I can plug them into the modem to activate the ports? The online chat service at WOW tried to tell me that they will not work because I have ONT fiber internet but they could send a technician to check it out if I paid $50. That did not make sense to me because some of my neighbors at my complex have their ethernet ports working.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I recently got my internet installed at my apartment. The technician told me that the Ethernet ports in the living room and bedroom would be active when he was done, but they do not work. I looked at the modem and there are a few internet wires hanging next to it without connectors attached. What would be the best way to fix this so I can plug them into the modem to activate the ports?
The best way is to get the technician to come back and make things work.

USAFRet

Titan
I would but they are trying to charge me $50 for the tech to come back out even though it was supposed to be handled during the initial installation.
"The technician told me that the Ethernet ports in the living room and bedroom would be active when he was done, but they do not work."

Before the tech left your house, did things work with your system?
In the place where you wanted?

Feb 27, 2024
"The technician told me that the Ethernet ports in the living room and bedroom would be active when he was done, but they do not work."

Before the tech left your house, did things work with your system?
In the place where you wanted?
I was not there when the tech came, but the WiFi was working properly when I got home. It's just the additional Ethernet ports in the bedroom and the living room that are not active. My uncle has some RJ45 connectors and a crimping tool that he would let me borrow. Is it worth trying to connect the wires myself and seeing if that works?

Feb 27, 2024
Bad move.

The WiFi works, so the router actually works.
Wiring? That is now all on you. Or, $50 for a return service call.
Yeah the router works. There are just 4 Cat5 cables next to it that are unstripped with no connectors on them. I think they just need connectors and to be plugged into the router so the Ethernet ports in the other rooms work, but I could be wrong. I don't have any experience with this kind of stuff.

USAFRet

Titan
Yeah the router works. There are just 4 Cat5 cables next to it that are unstripped with no connectors on them. I think they just need connectors and to be plugged into the router so the Ethernet ports in the other rooms work, but I could be wrong. I don't have any experience with this kind of stuff.
Terminating cable ends is not as easy as it looks. It does take practice.

And with an apartment wiring, there might be multiple other things wrong.

Feb 27, 2024
Given your zero experience with this, I'd pay the $50 for a return visit.

And be there while he fixes it.
Yeah the more I think about it I think I’ll either pay the $50 or get my uncle to come do it. He’s an electrical engineer and he only lives 15 minutes away. I can get him to take a look at it sometime this week hopefully

Ralston18

Titan
I would give the uncle a try. You can watch and learn then buy a pizza or something for him.

Do some reading beforehand about networking, terminating cables etc.. There are, for example, different RJ-45 plugs that should be used depending on if the cable is stranded or solid.

Look at is printed along the lengths of the cables. All could be moot if the cable is not up to spec.

FYI:

https://stevessmarthomeguide.com/build-home-network/

https://www.vcelink.com/blogs/focus/how-to-terminate-ethernet-cable

(Note the tester at the end only tests for connectivity: not that the cable meets full Ethernet specs.)

You can easily find other such links and videos - some good, some not.

= = = =

Plan the connections to be made, lable the cables and ports beforehand.

Also draw your own apartment diagram showing modem, router, cable runs, wall ports.

DIY/Uncle may work out or may not work out at all. Proper terminations do require skill and practice.

Be sure to leave lots of extra cable at the cable ends - do not just extra length off. Likely will be needed just in case a "do over" or two is needed.

Overall, if you do end up calling the technician back and paying the $50 you will have a bit more knowledge about what all is involved and what needs to be done. And properly.

Just my thoughts on the matter.