[SOLVED] Ethernet to slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2022
Hello, I recently got ethernet and it is locked at 100 MPBS when it should be 500, I've tuned all the settings for it to be t the highest and it still doesn't move, my motherboard, cable, and everything else supports it not sure what is happening please help.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, I recently got ethernet and it is locked at 100 MPBS when it should be 500, I've tuned all the settings for it to be t the highest and it still doesn't move, my motherboard, cable, and everything else supports it not sure what is happening please help.
You want your motherboard speed and duplex set to auto.
A bad cable is the most frequent problem. Are you using a "flat" cable? They are usually junk.

Feb 15, 2022
Please give us a link to all the relevant parts.

Motherboard, router, the specific cable you're using.

Connecting at 100mbps really sounds like a substandard cable.
Motherboard TUF GAMING B560M-PLUS WIFI
and Im using a little portable box that my ISP gave me which is rated at 500 MBPS and my main wifi is 1 gigabit

Without knowing the specific equipment involved no one here can say with any confidence where exactly the problem lies. However, it could very well be that your switch/router doesn't do faster than 100Mbits/sec and requires replacement with something that has gigabit ports on it.

Without knowing the specific equipment involved no one here can say with any confidence where exactly the problem lies. However, it could very well be that your switch/router doesn't do faster than 100Mbits/sec and requires replacement with something that has gigabit ports on it.

Exactly. Have a feeling that OP battle the wrong problem. At first he must check are all his Ethernet related hardware can work with 1 Gbit/s speed. Provider connection, router must have 1 Gbit/s ports - all of them, OS must have proper Ethernet adapter drivers installed and functional and so on.

"Cat8" is probably a fake cable, there are 1000s sold. Get a round, 100% copper cat5e cable.

Cat8 Ethernet cable is real thing. However it is intended for short connections in data centers. Home network have no benefit from it except someone who is running real supercomputer in underground cave below his home.

Agree about Cat5e. It works just fine also for novelty 2.5 Gbit Ethernet.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.