Question Ethernet wall jack has connection, but doesn't work for internet

Feb 19, 2019
Hi,
So we recently installed new ethernet wall jacks, we tested the connection and it does indeed work and align, even with a wire connected to it.
But the issue is that when connected to the router or the switchboard, it doesn't seem to work. My computer says to connect an ethernet cable yet it is connected, and the switchboard/router's connection light is unlit, our other direct wires are lit, so the switchboard/router does work, just not the wall jacks.
We tried multiple wall jacks, but they all have the same result.
Thanks in advance.

So we recently installed new ethernet wall jacks
I read "we install RJ45 jacks at rooms" What about the other end of that cable?

we tested the connection and it does indeed work and align, even with a wire connected to it
Not exactly clear. For all I know you are saying cable plug goes into jack firmly, which is good but doesn't say much.

My computer says to connect an ethernet cable yet it is connected, and the switchboard/router's connection light is unlit, our other direct wires are lit, so the switchboard/router does work, just not the wall jacks.
Unlit is bad.

You must answer, paragraph above is the whole wall cable PLUGGED IN BOTH ENDS, which activates it.

So this is how it must be:

ISP ---> Modem/Routers ---> Multiple ports Ethernet Switch (LED1)---> Wall Cable (Head) ---> Wall ---> (Tail)Rooms ----> (LED2) PC

If things are hooked up, wired correctly, LED1 and LED2 will lit signaling they are talking to each other.

Maybe you should post some clear pictures.

Feb 19, 2019
I read "we install RJ45 jacks at rooms" What about the other end of that cable?

Not exactly clear. For all I know you are saying cable plug goes into jack firmly, which is good but doesn't say much.

Unlit is bad.

You must answer, paragraph above is the whole wall cable PLUGGED IN BOTH ENDS, which activates it.

So this is how it must be:

ISP ---> Modem/Routers ---> Multiple ports Ethernet Switch (LED1)---> Wall Cable (Head) ---> Wall ---> (Tail)Rooms ----> (LED2) PC

If things are hooked up, wired correctly, LED1 and LED2 will lit signaling they are talking to each other.

Maybe you should post some clear pictures.

Sorry for being so unclear, just a really bad noob at this.

The other end is the ethernet head, so it is basically an extension that leads to where we store our router/modem/switchboard.

By "testing a connection," I mean that we used a wire tester to ensure that all the individual wires are lined up for the wall jack to ethernet cable head(that they match) and they can carry a signal from one end to the other.

Yes, the cable is plugged in. Ignoring the switchboard and directly using the router, we have modem/router -> ethernet cable -> wall jack -> ethernet cable -> computer. We know the switchboard itself is communicationg with the router since we have a wifi system directly connected to it via an ethernet cable.

So in terms of being lit and unlit, anything using any wall jacks in the house appear to be unlit(not working) but using a direct tail/head ethernet cable, it does light up and work.

So the issue overall just seems that the "internet" doesn't seem to be carrying through the ethernet cable/wall jack we have set up.
Only thing I could possibly think of as a issue is that the wall jack port says cat6, but the wire we used is cat5e, but supposedly the port is univeral and should be able to use a cat5e.

Thanks.

Mar 9, 2019
sometimes what would happen as the jack are being setup the cabling is reversed such that pin 1 one side goes to pin 8 on the other. Check using an ethernet tester by pluging the switch side on one side and the cable going into the pc on the other side and see if both sides' lights are moving in the same direction (pin 8 to pin1 or vice versa). if each side is giving u a different direction then u found ur problem. Or better yet have one person at each side and check if the same lights are lighting at the same time.

Reactions: saturated
Cheap cable testers can only tell you that say pin 1 is connected to pin 1. What it can not do is tell if you actually put the pairs on the correct pins. You need to follow wire standard 568a or 568b

Lets say you cabled it orange,green.brown blue, orange/wht,green/wht,brown/wht,blue/wht. All the wires go through to the corresponding pin but it will not work because the pairs do not line up. The 2 wires in the pair are critical to making ethernet work.

Reactions: saturated
Feb 19, 2019
sometimes what would happen as the jack are being setup the cabling is reversed such that pin 1 one side goes to pin 8 on the other. Check using an ethernet tester by pluging the switch side on one side and the cable going into the pc on the other side and see if both sides' lights are moving in the same direction (pin 8 to pin1 or vice versa). if each side is giving u a different direction then u found ur problem. Or better yet have one person at each side and check if the same lights are lighting at the same time.
Cheap cable testers can only tell you that say pin 1 is connected to pin 1. What it can not do is tell if you actually put the pairs on the correct pins. You need to follow wire standard 568a or 568b

Lets say you cabled it orange,green.brown blue, orange/wht,green/wht,brown/wht,blue/wht. All the wires go through to the corresponding pin but it will not work because the pairs do not line up. The 2 wires in the pair are critical to making ethernet work.

We actually figured it out today and both of these were the issues, our cheap tester didn't tell us they were incorrect. We bought a better tester and got the ethernet cables fully set up and functional.

Thanks for the replies guys.