[SOLVED] Ethernet works only on 10mbps Full/Half duplex after upgrading my Router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2020
So i was forced by my internet provider to upgrade my router. Just before i changed the router i did a speed test on my main Desktop to check if my internet speed would get better (i got 81 mbps download). I followed the guide that came with the router and changed the router to the newer one. I noticed that my Desktop couldn't connect through LAN, even though i was connected there was an "unplugged" icon in windows, once every 10 sec or so it would try to connect but fail every time. So i tried the same cable with a Laptop and it worked fine no problem there, i tried all router ports and only changing the Speed & Duplex to 10mbps Full/Half did help. So it cannot be my cable nor network adapter because 10 min before changing the router i was getting normal 80mbps download on speed & duplex set to auto and i checked the cable with a Laptop and got 420mbps download.
Updated the network drivers manually
Adapter info in the photo attached: View: https://imgur.com/EubvKr3

Solution
It is likely a cable problem even though it runs fine on your laptop.

This is a hardware function mostly, the drivers just let you restrict it to not run auto and that is a simplistic function so it not likely a driver issues.

You have pretty much eliminted all the possibilities so you then have to take the most common. There really are only 3 things. A bad port in the router, a bad port in the pc or a bad cable. You can't actually fix a damaged port in your pc so have to hope that is not the problem.

The strange thing with ethernet cables is they can work in some machine but not others when they go bad. Some devices are more tolerant of a cable that is out of spec.

A cable is a very cheap thing to try. Make sure you...
It is likely a cable problem even though it runs fine on your laptop.

This is a hardware function mostly, the drivers just let you restrict it to not run auto and that is a simplistic function so it not likely a driver issues.

You have pretty much eliminted all the possibilities so you then have to take the most common. There really are only 3 things. A bad port in the router, a bad port in the pc or a bad cable. You can't actually fix a damaged port in your pc so have to hope that is not the problem.

The strange thing with ethernet cables is they can work in some machine but not others when they go bad. Some devices are more tolerant of a cable that is out of spec.

A cable is a very cheap thing to try. Make sure you do not buy fake cables they have all kinds of strange problems. You need a cat5e or better cable if it cheaper. You want pure copper wire (no cca) and wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).

If that does not work then you start thinking about USB ethenret devices for your PC.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Solution
Sep 10, 2020
Thanks for the quick reply! I tried 3 other ethernet cables that were laying around, one of them was brand new because it came with the router (cat.5e). None of them worked either but it was only the case with my pc, i tried all the cables with 2 laptops and all of them worked perfectly (including the maybe broken one that i used for my pc).

So i have a guess/question:
It may sound stupid but is it possible that the internet is too fast for my NIC ? Because before i upgraded the router i was getting max 80 mbps download and 20 mbps upload, but with the current one i get around 420 mbps download and 20 mbps upload. I am not sure if my Motherboard even supports more than 100mbps, i bought it for cheap from aliexpress because i have a i5-3570 with a weird socket that no one produces anymore so i had to buy a Chinese one.

Maybe my motherboard fricks out by more than 100mbps and i have to limit it in order to connect to the internet, and it worked before because it was under 100mbps ?????

Even if you happen to have only a 100mbps port it would just negotitate to 100m. It is highly unlikely you only have a 10/100 port in the pc. Almost all ports are 10/100/1000.

Still lets say you had a 1gbit internet connection and your pc only would run 10mbps. The speeds are actually completely independent. The traffic would go from the internet into a buffer on your router at 1gbit. The router would then send it to your pc at 10mbps from the buffer. The worst you could expect is that a real lot of data was sent from the internet at 1gbit and the router ran out of memory buffers to store it. That would just cause packet loss your connection to the router would still not go down.

I have no ideas now. Maybe boot the PC with a linux boot image and see if that works. That would tell you if your hardware is good.

Jul 31, 2020
I agree that an inexpensive debugging step is to try a new cable from a reputable supplier. Along that line, if you have a free USB 3.0 port, so is a USB to Ethernet adapter. StarTech works for me. Also consider a PCI or PCIe Ethernet adapter, if you have a free slot on your motherboard.

I realize all the above sounds like real money, but the only hardware debugging strategy that really works is to substitute known good parts until you get it working. Then take out the substituted parts until it does not work anymore. This is the only way to isolate the problem into one part or subsystem that has failed. You have to make one change at a time, and then try it. You may have to reboot after a change. I read a book.

If you find one, throw out busted parts. Don't put known bad parts in your spare parts drawer. That WILL drive you crazy.

It is suspicious that the Ethernet adapter says the cable is unplugged. One debugging step you may not have tried is to go into Control Panel/Device Manager/Network Adapters/My Adapter/Advanced and look at the value of each property. (Consider Googling any terms you might not understand.) If any value looks different, unusual, or even complex, change it to disabled or to a less complex setting. Try the system after each change; again, you may have to reboot. In Control Panel/Device Manager/Network Adapters/My Adapter/Power Management uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power," temporarily, at least until you have found the problem.

One debugging step that has worked over and over for me is to go to Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center/Change adapter settings and select the offending connection with the mouse cursor right click. In the resulting popup menu, select disable, wait 30 seconds or so, and then select enable. The operating system (O/S) does a lot of checks and will attempt to debug a failed connection.

Sep 10, 2020
Thank you guys for all the tips and helping me, but i think i'm going to buy an ethernet to usb adapter. I tried almost everything but Linux and i still can't locate the problem, before i break something i think 15$ is a good enough price.

Cheers!

Thank you guys for all the tips and helping me, but i think i'm going to buy an ethernet to usb adapter. I tried almost everything but Linux and i still can't locate the problem, before i break something i think 15$ is a good enough price.

Cheers!

A bus card will always be superior. But USB will work. Just be sure to use a USB 3 port and USB 3 adapter. USB 2.0 will get you 480Mbps, but that's best case. Actual throughput is lower. USB 3 will also tie up your CPU less as it waits for interrupts/control lines to clear.

Get one that uses an intel chip if possible. Realtek isn't known for making great Ethernet adapters (or wifi for that matter.) Intel chips come with advanced diagnostics using their toolkits that will measure signal line quality on ethernet lines.

Sep 10, 2020
So i bought a usb 3.0 to ethernet adapter and it came today. Everything works perfectly and i turned off the speed & duplex limiter, connection is flawless and my download speeds jumped from 10mbps to 420mbps.

Thank you all for helping!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS