EU Responds to MSFT's Antitrust Case Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
This situation is getting pretty silly. The EU actually wants Microsoft to bundle competing browsers? Are they going to force Microsoft to support and provide customer service for these browsers as well since they are now part of the OS? Who gets to decide what browsers Microsoft should be forced to bundle? Maybe I'll make my own browser and sue Microsoft for a billion dollars because they are being anti-competitive by not including my software with their OS.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I find this a rather brilliant move. Now it isn't microsoft's responsibility to decide which browser a user can choose from in a list the eu wants em to provide - they simply don't provide any at all.
IMO that's the best option for the company. Otherwise they'd just get another fine for listing a lot of browsers and forgetting to list one or the other.

I sometimes find myself ashamed of living in the EU when I see what the eggheads in charge dream up. Guess they want china to be the world leader instead of eu or usa.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Dear Microsoft, could you please package my company's browser in your production so I don't have to do any marketing?

Thanks EU! Saved me a bundle. Now it's time to switch to Geico for a double-whammy. Oo... today's going to be a good day!

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Can Barack Obama please do something to actually protect a good American company from this BS from the European Union. I know that all the crap corrupt companies with awful business practices that are going bankrupt need all of your attention but this market leading company is getting taken out back by Big Brother in Europe you have GOT to do something about this. You can't allow the EU to do this to an American Company.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
It's more of the "Microsoft is not allowed to win" gambit... I love Firefox, but REALLY how hard is it to download and run a different browser?

I guess the EU isn't going to rest until Microsoft bundles IE8 and then adds a preferences screen at startup (like they have for choosing your search engine) to let you pick a different default browser. That solution is a bit silly, but it would also have the extra benefit of not having to bundle other vendors' browsers into the OS image.

zendax

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
When browsers cost money the decision to bundle IE with Windows was a big deal. Now? Not so much. It's pretty ridiculous that the EU is huffing and puffing because Microsoft allows you to ACCESS THE INTERNET right out of the box.

kams01

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Why is it that Apple NEVER gets into trouble like this? Why have not anyone criticized Apple for bundling Safari out of the box? With all the BS Microsoft has had to deal with, no wonder the out of the box experience with Windows is not that great. Every Apply fan I talk to swear by the "out of the box experience" of Apple. No wonder as they can do what they want without anyone stopping them but when MS does that, they get sued. Very fair!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Kams01, Apple isn't considered a monopoly, so there's a big difference there.

Let's hope the U.S. government steps on Europe and stops this nonsense of bullying American companies. We gave Europe enough aid after WW II, they don't need to keep stealing from our companies. This is just crazy, how can they say Microsoft is unduly favoring their own browser when no browsers are installed? Since when did a failed continent get the right to tell our businesses how they must ship their products? At this point, it's not a competitive advantage, so they can't argue it's for competition.

Besides, what is this competition for? Browsers are free!!!!!! Competing browsers are gaining market share! They are easy to get, and Microsoft does not exclude OEMs from adding them to their machines anyway, if they feel it's better for their customers.

For all you people that hate Microsoft, and believe me, I am one of them, just remember that this is taking money from ordinary people too. All those mutual funds, and retirement funds that people in the United States have do have Microsoft stock. Intel is also a very common component of them too. If Europe keeps fining our companies, especially if this turns out as yet another excuse to, it's really robbery. We gave them enough money; we can't afford to rebuild Europe again. If they want to fine Intel, which at least you could make a case for, give the money back to AMD. But, nope, they keep it. When the fine Microsoft, do they give it to companies that suffered from their practices? Nope, they line their coffers.

If they keep this up, let's fine BMW for being unable to deal with American snow, and sue them for accidents. Or Volkswagen for being a NAZI company, originally. Or Daimler for screwing up Chrysler. Not Lotus though, their cars are too cool, and they might stop selling here. But, if Europe can fine companies for crazy stuff, it's time to take aim at European cars. Mind you, I love European cars (it's all I buy) and everything I'm saying above is ridiculous, but no more so than if they fine Microsoft for not putting any browsers in their OS. It's maddening!

maaksel

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Because Apple is for fanbois!

Lets compare some similar situations.

In your Ford Vehicle, you now must be able to provide customers with at least 3 different types of engines, all from different manufacturers. I love microsofts response "ok fine, here is a car without an engine at all, you put in what engine you want".

I think this is absolute bullcrap that they are doing this. Microsoft should be able to give away mediaplayer/ie all they want on THEIR operating system. No one is forcing users to use Windows are they? They just 'have' to use it because there are no other options. Well boohoo.

Another example?

I went into the grocery store, and I demanded and ham sandwhich from the deli. However, I demanded that I be provided with 8 different types of ham, all from different places. See how stupid this gets? Those users that WANT firefox/opera/safari will go download it.

OMG, microsoft is giving something away for free and its not fair!!!

greliu

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
@ta152h of course this is taking money from people... were talking about the EU here. I use to like the EU .... untill I started taking political science that is.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
The EU is gay...

They need to wake up and notice, it is the responsability of the Retail store or PC maker to sell/distibute other webbrowser products to give the customer good choices.

The EU is always out for money. They are just making this hard becuase they want more free money,..... and what solutions they are looking for are very unrealistic.

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
[citation][nom]apmyhr[/nom]This situation is getting pretty silly. The EU actually wants Microsoft to bundle competing browsers? Are they going to force Microsoft to support and provide customer service for these browsers as well since they are now part of the OS? Who gets to decide what browsers Microsoft should be forced to bundle? Maybe I'll make my own browser and sue Microsoft for a billion dollars because they are being anti-competitive by not including my software with their OS.[/citation]

I totally agree. I'm not that big of fan of Microsoft as a business, but I use windows cause that's what there is, (please don't give the linux, mac stuff) But I don't use their browser. What's up with the EU lately, they seem to be going on a rampage and ,to me, really overstepping their place.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]kams01[/nom]Why is it that Apple NEVER gets into trouble like this? Why have not anyone criticized Apple for bundling Safari out of the box? With all the BS Microsoft has had to deal with, no wonder the out of the box experience with Windows is not that great. Every Apply fan I talk to swear by the "out of the box experience" of Apple. No wonder as they can do what they want without anyone stopping them but when MS does that, they get sued. Very fair![/citation]
Very good point. If Microsoft forces users to choose to instal a new browser right away, most people will be anoyed and think "gee, the Mac gives me a browser without having to choose one. It just works!" For mainstream users, the less choice they have to make in computer setup, the happier they are. This is part of the appeal of Macs.

G

I want to see how MS has done this.
In previous versions the IE is so intrenched in the OS that there is no easy way to get rid of them.

G

Please people. Don't be eggheads here. Even makers of free browsers make money.

Mozilla for instance, defaults it's Firefox searches through Google and Google pays them for the traffic. That is how Mozilla makes money. Google on the other hand, makes money off advertising.

Microsoft is trying to get in a share in that advertising market. IE will direct all searches, by default, through Microsoft's search engine (MSN Search, Live Search, and now Bing), thereby increasing traffic of it's search engine, and having more traffic for advertising.

Since browser is the first link in this chain, browser makers are fighting tooth and nail for market share, even though they are free. However, the above are usually negated by Google being made the default search engine by users even if they are using IE.

I'm starting to think that Apple is backing the EU financially for their expenses in court, and then collect it from Microsoft. I don't think there's documentation where the fined money goes, so it obviously lines the top executives of EU.

Honestly, I am going to start boycotting anything made in the EU soon. If those douchebags can't learn it the first time, then there's no other way.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]maisere[/nom]If theres no browser, how do you get a browser? The internet would be out of bounds.[/citation]

Take it up with the EU then, ask them to supply you a browser. MS doesn't have to legally supply you anything but the OS itself to run your computer on, if you purchase Windows. IE is not mandatory for the system to run, therefore it is on you to supply your own browser.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
You got what you wanted EU, quit your whining. I'm very happy MSFT did this, way to stick it to you asses. As I recall, the Antitrust case was based on the fact that Windows comes with IE bundled. The case WASN'T built on the premise that Windows doesn't come bundled with more than one browser.

Now keep it down EU, America is trying to play golf on the moon.

thartist

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
there are so many, so bizarre opinions here (and in any other site too)...

Let's separate the points and make them clearer:

1) First: one thing is the EU bullying, but besides that, MS has taken a decidedly bad decision for themselves. How are the average mamma and joe gonna browse the internet or get a browser after this when they get Windows 7? Oh gosh... problems ahead!

2) Now, the right way to think this matter is: "what would the 'most adequate' or 'less damaging' solution be?" This is a matter where probably no solution would be a perfect %100 convenient one that would please everyone. So, again, the point is MAKING THE USER CONSCIOUS OF CHOICE and GIVING HIM THE POSSIBILITY OF CHOICE. After choosing, he can disable IE if he likes.

-Couldn't MS then make a simple disclaimer telling the user that he is not enclosed to IE and free to choose among other alternatives if he decides he is not happy with IE?-

That's the point of it. Letting the user know that he's not enclosed to IE and he can choose any other thing if he pleases. This would also save MS from to getting in the muddy waters of making themselves a decision for what alteratives the user can get. It's simply up to the user to get into that matter if he minds to.

azgard

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2002
[citation][nom]thartist[/nom]there are so many, so bizarre opinions here (and in any other site too)...Let's separate the points and make them clearer:1) First: one thing is the EU bullying, but besides that, MS has taken a decidedly bad decision for themselves. How are the average mamma and joe gonna browse the internet or get a browser after this when they get Windows 7? Oh gosh... problems ahead!2) Now, the right way to think this matter is: "what would the 'most adequate' or 'less damaging' solution be?" This is a matter where probably no solution would be a perfect %100 convenient one that would please everyone. So, again, the point is MAKING THE USER CONSCIOUS OF CHOICE and GIVING HIM THE POSSIBILITY OF CHOICE. After choosing, he can disable IE if he likes.-Couldn't MS then make a simple disclaimer telling the user that he is not enclosed to IE and free to choose among other alternatives if he decides he is not happy with IE?-That's the point of it. Letting the user know that he's not enclosed to IE and he can choose any other thing if he pleases. This would also save MS from to getting in the muddy waters of making themselves a decision for what alteratives the user can get. It's simply up to the user to get into that matter if he minds to.[/citation]

Actually it would be very simple for the OEM's to supply the necessary browser's which they will once there is none on them. They can work out the details regarding distribution(just because its free doesn't mean you can freely supply it!), I don't see why it should be Microsoft's responsibility to supply a competitors product.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Ha.

I like IE just fine.
If, for whatever issue FireFox isn't an option, IE is my second choice. Why? It's comfortable and familiar.
Safari? Not even in hell.
Opera? Nah.

Why did I even switch from IE?
Someone made a completely flash based UI for a online game I liked, and it was specifically made for FF, so FF it was...

I don't actually need anything over IE, everything else is merely a luxury.

I cheer for Microsoft doing this.
Though in honestly, it's partly because I'm a Microsoft fanboy.

Monopolies are bad, mmkay.
Screwing with my favorite company is worse, mmkay.

akhodjaev

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
NOw i have to sit next to my computer for 3 days to download internet explorere, my lovely internet explorer. with my dial-up connection...
EU is stupid... they just have to back their fins, or use the money for something, and therefore they come to this stupid solutions...

How the hell i should download any browser if i do not have any browser? can i get firefox from retail shop in free cd? IT IS JUST NUTS
Hey, EU stupid Gang. IT is not green and not productive. Start thinking with head not with ass

Status
Not open for further replies.