Eurocom Panther 5D Notebook Review: Faster Than Your Desktop

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
110 watts at idle? Jesus christ. Guess it doesn't have Nvidia Optimus does it? If the GPUs were shut off and the CPU underclocked, undervolted and portions shut down, power consumption should be under 45 watts the DC jack on the laptop for sure.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I like it but I just can't see me getting anything bigger and heavier than my M17R2 and dragging two power supplies around. The price is also out of this world but somebody will buy it.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
What happens if you yank out one of the two power supplies while it's under heavy load? Does it handle that gracefully, or does it shut down the AC connection and switch over to battery entirely? The power connector has at least four conductors, so they might have put some signaling into it to handle this scenario gracefully. Just curious.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
They should have built the power-breakout dongle thing right into the laptop and had two power jacks, instead of a separate dongle thingy.

I guess this is a "I need to be able to do very complex data processing tasks with high interactivity and low latency - while not connected to a high-bandwidth network" device. If you can make do with something like Remote Desktop (join.me, GotoMeeting, LogMeIn, etc.) then you can get away with a Macbook Air and a remote workstation, rather than lugging the remote workstation around with you. Maybe a car or plane manufacturer that needs to modify and test part designs in the field with part vendors on-the-fly? If ultra-low latency is not a requirement and there's a decent network connection, this won't get you much more than you can do using remote viewing software and a powerful workstation as a backend for a light client laptop.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I dunno, I'd much rather spend a lot less money on a laptop that's properly portable but still decently powerful; lugging this kind of device around doesn't really constitute portable in my book, and it seems the only advantage really is that you get the screen and keyboard built-in, but at the same time everything is crammed into an overly small form factor, I shudder at the noise it must make even under relatively modest loads!

Unless you do a lot of work in hotels and other places where you need the screen and keyboard built in, you might as well just get a compact desktop. For this kind of money Apple's new Mac Pro looks almost reasonable, and is just as portable if you only need to get it to your workplace where you can hook it up.

What this laptop packs inside is impressive, but I just feel it has to make too many compromises, to the point that I wouldn't consider it a laptop at all anymore, as it looks barely portable, has pathetic battery life, and is likely far too heavy and hot to use comfortably on your lap.

Abyssic

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
i couldn't find anything about noise. i didn't read the whole article and i don't have time for that. why is there no sector about noise level?

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
It's not significantly faster in applications that can't take advantage of more than 4 cores because the clockspeed isn't significantly faster than Intel's Haswell Extreme mobile proccesor the 4930MX (3GHZ/3.9GHZ turbo). In most scenarios the 4930MX will be just as fast with a lot less power consumption(mobile part + less cores, less cache) and Intel may release another Extreme processor that's clocked a bit faster..
MSI Gt60/GT70 with the 4930MX is a win for me.

mg3692

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Just a heads up: A lot of times these companies have terrible customer service down the line. This makes things like replacing a lap top battery incredibly annoying. I've had this experience with ibuypower, whose server crashes every few years and they conveniently lose all their data so they don't have to deal with you.

MadTux

Honorable
Oct 5, 2013
IMHO, these laptops build from desktop components are a joke. Few gamers have enough money to spend for a laptop like this and the professional users won't spend money for it, because the quality sucks

First ditch the internal battery, because it's pointless to supply a 450W system from battery. Use the space to put PSU into the portable PC, so that the resistive losses of the external PSU cable are eliminated and proper cooling is archived. Maybe add an external battery as kind of a docking station, so there is enough space for it.

Put everything in a metal (Al or Mg, maybe even titanium) casing, because noone is going to pay 6.5k$ for a piece of plastic crap.

Use a low clocked server CPU with a lot of cores and even more cache instead of fancy overclocked gaming CPU, because a constantly overheating system won't last long.

32GB non-ECC RAM are also a joke. No game is using that much mem. And a professional user will not use a non-ECC computer that crashes once in a while by background radiation, since his time costs far too much.

Add a decent screen. Even apple is using high resolution screens. So should they, if they want 6.5k$ for it.

Calling this a workstation isn't correct as it doesn't even have Quadro or Firepro specs cards installed and the build quality is far below that of what others provide. One little bump and a fall to the floor and this machine will be finished plus the customer support is crap. They should have done the lower body out of magnesium and the same for the screen assembly for strength. Thinkpads often have much higher build quality than this machine and can survive multiple falls without being destroyed plus they are far more mobile.

They already make these with folding screens, they have no internal battery and are basically a lugable desktop with a handle. Everything inside is normal while keeping the weight to a minimum, up to three screens although small fold down onto each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.