Eurocom Racer 2.0 Review: Intel's Ivy Bridge Meets Nvidia's Kepler

Status
Not open for further replies.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I would have loved to see some Temperature readings on the GPU/CPU during usage. A lot of gaming laptops even whilst brand new can generate enough heat to be uncomfortably hot in some areas.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]xanagu[/nom]Seriously Tom? you can get a much better deal with 3610QM, 16GB RAM, 750GB HDD and 7990M for $1470[/citation]Remember Eurocom loves high-end CPUs and SSDs. Besides, why would I want 16GB in a notebook?

Seems a bit too pricy. Battery life isn't good either, only slightly better than the other models. Also not really portable so why would people care that much about battery life?

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
u could get a clevo with a 680m for 1800. this whole article only recinforces my belief in buying a p150em even with a normal 670 installed itll still be better for the price. i find eurocom a lil over priced. xoticpc ftw

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
i really dont get why xangu's comment was downrated and crashman's was uprated. its true you could get a better deal 1500 does get you a i7 3rdgen with 8 gbs ram and a 7970m. and saying that eurocom likes highend ssds and cpus? ummm.. im sorry are there different cpus available everyone sells all the intel i7 mobile quads. all the boutiques. Same with SSDs and hard drives. What has to stand out from a place is the build quality cooling slight performance difference > competitors and other bits to justify an inflated price. The battery life is always hovering around 4 hours max. not matter which model you have you still gotta plug in a power brick eventually. theres car adapters, plugs on greyhound and amtrak. heck airport seats have plugs nearby. the 670s can game unplugged for a few hours. a few more minutes on the 660? i feel the 660 should be in a ultrabook not a rugged sized notebook. Look at the size. it looks as big and heavy as its competitiors. Dont get me wrong i like eurocom they have some great stuff just, i dont see a noticeable difference to justify the price/performance of that setup vs other boutiques. Id really like to see a toms review of more clevos and msi customs/ does anyone offer superior cooling builds etc.

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
[citation][nom]xanagu[/nom]cuz its a free upgrade?[/citation]
while above 8gbs is nonsense for gamers if you like playing in a window and running other programs and doing other things such as uploading a vid coding a vid, doing other activities a lil bit of ram goes along way. i myself go out of the way to tweak my games to use 4gbs if they dont support it and multitask. Besides 16 gbs is usually about 40-80 bucks more > standard 8gbs. it has its uses unless ur solely gaming. 16 gbs is my standard. i have enough ram to abuse skyrim on ultra full of mods windowed while talking online watching a news feed and streaming video in another window and extra monitor.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
On the "Test Settings and Benchmarks" page, I think you have the Eurocom's RAM switched with one of the other machines.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I honestly dont really see any value or reason to get this machine. Waaaaay to pricey considering the hardware you get. Now if this thing had a 7970m or 680m then we could start talking.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
In May I bought an Asus G75 with identical hardware specs with the exception that mine is a 17", and it had a 1TB hdd, for $1249.00. I added a Intel 520 128GB SSD as well for $180.00 and am using the 1TB drive as storage. Point being, I paid $1420 for the same laptop with a bigger screen and tons more storage. I dont understand where Eurocom is justifying this $2100.00 price tag.

B3RL1N

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2012
Correction?

The 660M in this review model is MXM, right? (As noted on page 4 where a 660M MXM card was provided for testing purposes)

Last I checked, the nVidia GeForce 660M MXM variant doesn't come with 2GB of VRAM, only 1GB.
Even Eurocom's site lists 1GB of VRAM, as does any Sager/Clevo MXM 600M models. Correct me if I'm wrong, because if Eurocom has a 2GB MXM GPU, color me interested.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]Crashman[/nom]Remember Eurocom loves high-end CPUs and SSDs. Besides, why would I want 16GB in a notebook?[/citation]
Not something benchmarks can easily prove but setting all temporary folders to write onto a RAM drive may extend the longevity of SSD or gain some battery time in case you use HDD.

G

You should take a look at the Sager NP6110 (aka Clevo W110ER). This is truly a mobile gaming machine - it weighs in at under 4lbs, and that's including the battery pack! For hundreds less than the rig you have here, the NP6110 can be assembled with a quad core i7-3610QM, the GTX 650M GPU (DX11) - the 2GB memory model, not 1GB like you have reviewed here. 8GB RAM is standard but more can be installed.. This is a small 11.6" 1366x768 display, however it has HDMI plugs for a bigger monitor if you are at home. The whole point of a laptop is mobility, and the Sager NP6110 is unparalleled when it comes to mobility at such a light weight, while still packing an impressive amount of CPU and GPU power. I play BF3 on high on this machine, and it will go over 1 hour on battery without a problem for me. I do recommend the matte screen though - the ultra glossy has too much reflection, particularly if outdoors (this is a laptop after all). You guys really should review it, if you have not already. It's better than the Alienware M11X - and cheaper! The only thing it doesn't have is a backlit keyboard.

G

FYI - The Clevo W110ER / Sager NP6110 is also sold by Eurocom - they call it the Monster 1.0 [link]

Status
Not open for further replies.