Eurocom Racer: Radeon HD 6990M In A Truly Mobile Form Factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
It could've easily done away with a "slower" 45w i7 quad or even a 25w i7 dualcore CPU. This would help with the mobility bit of the laptop, making it last quite a bit longer. And a 9 cell battery wouldn't hurt either.

theuniquegamer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
It is a semi desktop by its weight i.e 10 pounds. And performs as a desktop(with 23' ips display and ups) price less than it. In the world of growing market for tabs and ultrabooks the price of mobile cpu and gpu should be lowered in order to make these premium gaming laptops popular.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i sort of want one , , whats not to like about a laptop that would crunch circles around my current desktop (amd athy 64 X2 5000+ black ed Oc'ed to 3ghz, 3 gigs ddr 2 pc 800 ram , and a radeon 5770)

sure my computer still runs most current game great at my monitors max res (1600x900) but damn , i'd take one of these laptops any day for that performance booste .. here's to dreaming of winning the builder's marathon though !

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
It would have been nice to at least see a little of the review cover things like: screen, keyboard, build quality, etc........

But good review on the graphics chip :)

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
The laptop maxes out at only 1920 X 1080?
The single GPU 6990M is overkill for that resolution and $2000 is a joke but hey atleast you can max everything.
Idiots out there will buy this.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]amstech[/nom]The laptop maxes out at only 1920 X 1080?The single GPU 6990M is overkill for that resolution and $2000 is a joke but hey atleast you can max everything.Idiots out there will buy this.[/citation]
That is the native res on the laptop. Which is the res most would game at on a laptop.....

And as for the price, find me a better performing laptop that is cheaper please.

Troll somewhere else

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Thats a terrible price when a GTX 560M can handle just about everything at 1080P maxed.
1920 X 1080 isn't that hard to run, a lowly 5870M handles it well.

Whine somewhere else.

AMD_pitbull

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]amstech[/nom]Thats a terrible price when a GTX 560M can handle just about everything at 1080P maxed.1920 X 1080 isn't that hard to run, a lowly 5870M handles it well.Whine somewhere else.[/citation]
Actually, whining is what you're doing troll :) "that is a terrible..." shows complaint through personal preference. Just thought you should make sure to verify what you're typing up before you type it and look like a fool...again.

Anyways, enough with the troll. Overall, the price level of this laptop seems excessive when you compare it to laptops such as G74 series and other more modest gaming laptops. But, there will always be a price premium for performance gains. As they always point out in these types of articles, it's a very niche market. In conclusion, nice review, great performance, and look forward to where our laptops will be 5 years from now :) Technology is fun.

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah its a ripoff for $2000.
Don't like my complaint/opinion?

And price premium for performance gains?
Your limited to 1080P what more performance do you need?

It's a niche product, and just like Alienware's topshelf stuff and Razer's new laptop, its overpriced and it won't sell.

Anytime now someone reads something they don't like they toss out the troll word.
Obvious and lame.

julius 85

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
[citation][nom]amstech[/nom]The laptop maxes out at only 1920 X 1080?The single GPU 6990M is overkill for that resolution and $2000 is a joke but hey atleast you can max everything.Idiots out there will buy this.[/citation]
And 6990M is like desktop 6870 in case you don't know.

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Yeah thats common knowledge for mobile GPU's.

Take the 5870M.
Has 5770 specs...which is still enough to play all games at 1080P and most of them maxed or close to it.

Do an article about modding the laptop batteries. Take them apart. Replace the internal components of the batteries with something higher end found on the net or wherever if possible, wire it up, test and do a full blown how-to type article. Tom's intentially set an AMD processor on fire in the past, so maybe you could do a "what not to do" section of the article and set one on fire! :)

Could also be spinned on how to cheaply give new life to an aging laptop battery versus buying a new battery and price comparison of the parts vs new battery. :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]nothing new to see here. This model lacks a very important feature of a switchable gpu that could make the intel igp working tripling the battery life.[/citation]But it does minimize the number of variables when comparing the previously-reviewed 990X-based "notebook", which was the primary point of using it.

Tom's Hardware reviews notebooks on a voluntary basis, so if you'd like to see a company's newer product compared you should ask them to pony up.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]Tom's intentially set an AMD processor on fire in the past[/citation]Ah yes the conspiracy theories. I'm sure you're referring to the article where the site pulled the cooler off AMD and Intel processors to test thermal overload protection and the AMD processor UNEXPECTEDLY burned up. Because AMD said the system would shut down and that's what's EXPECTED. Intel's advantage was not supposed to be "doesn't burn", it's advantage was supposed to be "slows down rather than shutting off".

But go ahead, keep the conspiracy theories alive. Make sure the next time 1 out of 3 systems has an Nvidia graphics card you call Tom's Hardware out on being Nvidia-biased as well.

Yes, I read the article the day it was posted... I've never said Tom's was biased one way or another in any category. Anyway, saying it was intentionally set on fire is a lot more exciting than breaking it down as you have. Also, I read it ten years ago, so I took some liberties. I think it only smoked / charred anyway. It was a cool article, maybe people will look it up and check it out now :p

I really wish you had picked apart the meat of the comment as far as battery modication vs replacement. :)

G

I want one of these. I wonder if I will be able to pick up a dead one on ebay next year for $100 and rebuild it for $50 like I do with all my laptops. HaH

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]It's stupid and toms just do it because they get paid for it.[/citation]Do tell, I would LOVE to trade up my 1996 Astro for a 2012 Aston!

Really, I want my cut!

How about you put up or...ah, I'm probably not allowed to complete that sentence but I am allowed to voice that viewpoint.

zulutech

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2011
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]Do an article about modding the laptop batteries. Take them apart. Replace the internal components of the batteries with something higher end found on the net or wherever if possible, wire it up, test and do a full blown how-to type article. Tom's intentially set an AMD processor on fire in the past, so maybe you could do a "what not to do" section of the article and set one on fire! Could also be spinned on how to cheaply give new life to an aging laptop battery versus buying a new battery and price comparison of the parts vs new battery.[/citation]

Fiddling with batteries is a fire hazard.

Status
Not open for further replies.