Eve

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Miracle Smith wrote:
>>There are 16megapixel camera's out there, presumably for Bill Gates to
>>spend his wealth on.
>>
>>Be wary of diminishing returns. At about that range, one or two more
>>megapixels only add very small bars to the picture.
>
> So if you had the money, what would you buy right now?
> I see a lot of 4 megapixels now, but no 6's. And at what range
> would you not buy?

I'd buy my OWN camera! With blackjack! And hookers!

In fact, forget the camera. And the blackjack.

Actually, I'm not a camera freak, but it makes sense. In trying to find
a picture:
http://www.marius.org/fom-serve/cache/55.html

So to get a difference on the scale of 1MP->4MP, you'd have to jump from
4MP->16MP. And at that range, you're invariably going to scale down for
easy viewing, unless you're a professional photographer. You'd be better
off going for fewer MP's and better tech/lenses, in my humble estimation.

If I were to buy a camera, it'd be a cheap-as-I-can-get-it
Konica/Minolta, I think. A Z1 would satisfy. My brother has a Z2, and
it's pretty nice.
--
Frank

"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in

> I stuck a picture I took over in agst2.

What's "agst2"? I don't see any other starsiege newsgroups on Giganews.

Frank van Schie's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through
his body were:
> Miracle Smith wrote:
>>>There are 16megapixel camera's out there, presumably for Bill Gates to
>>>spend his wealth on.
>>>Be wary of diminishing returns. At about that range, one or two more
>>>megapixels only add very small bars to the picture.
>> So if you had the money, what would you buy right now?
>> I see a lot of 4 megapixels now, but no 6's. And at what range
>> would you not buy?
> I'd buy my OWN camera! With blackjack! And hookers!
> In fact, forget the camera. And the blackjack.

Awww, you'd want pics of the hookers for later!

On 27 May 2005 06:45:15 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:

> Yeah, Frank just said something similar. At which range
> would you buy? 6 megapixels?

I'd have to see the results from a 6mp camera, but the results from the
350D (8mp) is really making me wonder if 35mm film cameras are being
matched with image quality now.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Smeghead wrote:
> I stuck a picture I took over in agst2. That's a cropped 5mp image.

Cool! I'll go see. It'll keep my tiny little hands off of Ross' throat.

:eek:þ

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

> Cool! I'll go see. It'll keep my tiny little hands off of Ross'
> throat.
>
> :eek:þ

Uh, your newsreader broke apart the file into 5 parts,
and only the 5th part showed up. Uncheck that magic box
which breaks apart large files, or set the MB higher, okay?

--
{{{{{HUGZ!!!}}}}},
Miracle

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Mr K wrote:
> On 27 May 2005 06:45:15 GMT, Miracle Smith wrote:
>
>> Yeah, Frank just said something similar. At which range
>> would you buy? 6 megapixels?
>
> I'd have to see the results from a 6mp camera, but the results from
> the 350D (8mp) is really making me wonder if 35mm film cameras are
> being matched with image quality now.

Exactly. In the link Frank posted, I didn't like the grain
at the 5 megapixel level, much less higher. I think Smeggy
has a camera that may be what we're after- it's got adjustment
features.

--
>^,,^< Miracle
"Stupid people should have a built in self destruct,
triggered by all the stupid things they do. If you pass
the limit, instant wormfood." -Dragonsquid

spanner

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2004

">^,,^< Miracle" <NoChance@winning.com> wrote in

> I still have my Minolta SRT200, which I bought in the mid 70's.
> It still works like a champ. The only reason it doesn't see more use
> is that good Fuji film is tough to find here. I want ISO 100, or less,
> but the jackass public who is mostly braindead has to have their
> friggin' 400 and 800, so the slowest speed I can find is (ASA)ISO 200.

Ah, the joys of living in a city with a world renown art school. What ever
film you want you can get here very easily. Hell, just go to school itself
and you can buy it in bulk and self load your canisters, if you have a room
you can make lightproof, that is. :)

Shame about the rain though, we have had 300 mm in one week. Not nice. :(

Spanner wrote:
> ">^,,^< Miracle" <NoChance@winning.com> wrote:
>> I still have my Minolta SRT200, which I bought in the mid 70's.
>> It still works like a champ. The only reason it doesn't see more use
>> is that good Fuji film is tough to find here. I want ISO 100, or
>> less, but the jackass public who is mostly braindead has to have
>> their friggin' 400 and 800, so the slowest speed I can find is
>> (ASA)ISO 200.
>>

> Ah, the joys of living in a city with a world renown art school.
> What ever film you want you can get here very easily. Hell, just go
> to school itself and you can buy it in bulk and self load your
> canisters, if you have a room you can make lightproof, that is. :)
>
> Shame about the rain though, we have had 300 mm in one week. Not
> nice. :(

I'm *so* jealous, both of the available film and the rain.
We had some clouds pass over last night and today, but all
we got was high humidity to go with this heat.
You know, since the photo shop downtown closed, I don't
think there's anywhere in town to buy slide film. I'll have to
check with Best Buy- that's the only place I haven't looked.

Nice to see you're not gone again already! :)

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}

On Sun, 29 May 2005 01:59:22 +0200, Frank van Schie wrote:

> I only 'know' how this works with digicams. ISO200+ typically adds a lot
> of grain. ISO settings 50-100 works best, apparently. I've never really
> bought film.

Commercially available film nowadays is very low-grain stuff, because
that's what the public want... and that's how film technology has
'developed' (remember that film manufacturing/developing has been around
for over 100 years). To get grainy results, you have to force the film
beyond what it's capabilities.

Noise on digital photographs (aka 'grain') is dependant on the cameras
processing hardware/software, as well as the size of the CCD in the
camera. The bigger the CCD, the finer the resulting 'grain' will be. Along
with that, the size of the CCD governs how hot it gets, which in turn
seems to increase the chances of 'grain' on the photos.

Some digital cameras now include some form of anti-noise setting, which
does remove a good bit of digital noise off the photos, but at the cost of
image quality... photos tend to look sort of blurry.

>> And I *still* say they shoulda kept the ASA designation!

Hmm.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On Fri, 27 May 2005 12:41:24 -0500, ScratchMonkey
<ScratchMonkey.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> wrote:

>"Smeghead" <tribesfan@hotmail.com> wrote in
>
>> I stuck a picture I took over in agst2.
>
>What's "agst2"? I don't see any other starsiege newsgroups on Giganews.

It's a dead, virtually postless wasteland (save for a spammed advert
or two) called alt.games.starsiege.tribes2.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On 28 May 2005 06:07:23 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <NoChance@winning.com>
wrote:

>> Cool! I'll go see. It'll keep my tiny little hands off of Ross'
>> throat.
>>
>> :eek:þ
>

> Uh, your newsreader broke apart the file into 5 parts,
>and only the 5th part showed up. Uncheck that magic box
>which breaks apart large files, or set the MB higher, okay?

Okay, I have it set to send the whole thing. I think. Try again.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

Spanner wrote:
> Well, looks like I'm going to work tomorrow, should have knocked on
> wood.

ARGH! I didn't get to say "Have a safe trip"!! :(

Be safe. At least you might be out of any more rain.......
:eek:}

If by some chance you see this before you leave, I took
it upon myself to tell your guardian angel she better keep a
close eye out for you, or I'd have my guardian angel bitch-
slap her silly. :eek:þ

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}

Smeghead wrote:
> On 28 May 2005 06:07:23 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <NoChance@winning.com>
> wrote:
>> Uh, your newsreader broke apart the file into 5 parts,
>> and only the 5th part showed up. Uncheck that magic box
>> which breaks apart large files, or set the MB higher, okay?
>
> Okay, I have it set to send the whole thing. I think. Try again.

Remind me to change that reply addy in my desktop........

Well, no single pic yet. I replied to your post with the
5th part, and attached a medium-sized binary to it. It showed
up for me.
If you were using OE to post to the newsgroups, I could
check some settings for you, but I see you use Forte Agent.

Film at 11:00...................

--
{{{{{HUGZ!}}}}}
>^,,^< Miracle

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On 30 May 2005 07:35:15 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> On 28 May 2005 06:07:23 GMT, ">^,,^< Miracle" <NoChance@winning.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Uh, your newsreader broke apart the file into 5 parts,
>>> and only the 5th part showed up. Uncheck that magic box
>>> which breaks apart large files, or set the MB higher, okay?
>>
>> Okay, I have it set to send the whole thing. I think. Try again.
>

> Remind me to change that reply addy in my desktop........
>
> Well, no single pic yet. I replied to your post with the
>5th part, and attached a medium-sized binary to it. It showed
>up for me.
> If you were using OE to post to the newsgroups, I could
>check some settings for you, but I see you use Forte Agent.
>
> Film at 11:00...................

Huh, it doesn't seem to have showed up for me either. Something's
wacky.

When I tried to retrieve your image I get:

[3265 lines, incomplete]

[This is a multi-part message, of which only 1 of 5 parts are
available.]
[These parts are unavailable: 1, 2, 3, 4]

[To retrieve the incomplete message, use menu option Message | Join
Sections.]

Respiratory infection runs rampant in Yuma!
Phlegm at 11:00

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

Smeghead's last words before the Sword of Azrial plunged through his body
> Huh, it doesn't seem to have showed up for me either. Something's
> wacky.
> When I tried to retrieve your image I get:
> [3265 lines, incomplete]
> [This is a multi-part message, of which only 1 of 5 parts are
> available.]
> [These parts are unavailable: 1, 2, 3, 4]
> [To retrieve the incomplete message, use menu option Message | Join
> Sections.]
> Respiratory infection runs rampant in Yuma!
> Phlegm at 11:00

Means that your news host didnt retain all 5 posts required to make up the
entire message. Common thing for binaries.

Spanner wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42997f36$1_1
> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>

>> I'm *so* jealous, both of the available film and the rain.
>>We had some clouds pass over last night and today, but all
>>we got was high humidity to go with this heat.
>> You know, since the photo shop downtown closed, I don't
>>think there's anywhere in town to buy slide film. I'll have to
>>check with Best Buy- that's the only place I haven't looked.
>>
>> Nice to see you're not gone again already! :)
>
> Well, 300 mm of rain, if it was snow, would add up to 3 meters. 9 feet :)
> Let's just say that we are getting tired of rain. The rivers around here a
> flooding bigtime.

Actually, 300mm is 30cm, or 0.3 meters. In one week, that's still
nothing to sneeze at (allergies excepted). Holland is a very/fairly
rainy country, and I've heard estimated of around 800mm anually.

"Frank van Schie" <frankNOSPAM@email.it> wrote in message
> Spanner wrote:
>> "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net> wrote in news:42997f36$1_1
>> @galaxy.uncensored-news.com:
>>

>>> I'm *so* jealous, both of the available film and the rain.
>>>We had some clouds pass over last night and today, but all
>>>we got was high humidity to go with this heat.
>>> You know, since the photo shop downtown closed, I don't
>>>think there's anywhere in town to buy slide film. I'll have to
>>>check with Best Buy- that's the only place I haven't looked.
>>>
>>> Nice to see you're not gone again already! :)
>>
>> Well, 300 mm of rain, if it was snow, would add up to 3 meters. 9 feet
>> :)
>> Let's just say that we are getting tired of rain. The rivers around here
>> a flooding bigtime.
>
> Actually, 300mm is 30cm, or 0.3 meters. In one week, that's still nothing
> to sneeze at (allergies excepted). Holland is a very/fairly rainy country,
> and I've heard estimated of around 800mm anually.

Snow stacks higher than water though.... Maybe that is what he was
comparing.

Quixote

On Mon, 30 May 2005 15:02:35 -0500, Quixote wrote:

> Snow stacks higher than water though....

Ah, but snow doesn't run away as fast as water.

--
"There's violence to be done."
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1(and a half)

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

I've gone and done it. I busted out the plastic and paid up for
another month of EVE.

The bastards got their hooks in. I'll be in there whenever you can
make it, Miracle.

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

Smeghead wrote:
> I've gone and done it. I busted out the plastic and paid up for
> another month of EVE.
>
> The bastards got their hooks in. I'll be in there whenever you can
> make it, Miracle.

Cool beans! Now, make the days a few hours longer......

smeghead

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2001

On 31 May 2005 23:07:14 GMT, "Miracle Smith" <miracle@spamcop.net>
wrote:

>Smeghead wrote:
>> I've gone and done it. I busted out the plastic and paid up for
>> another month of EVE.
>>
>> The bastards got their hooks in. I'll be in there whenever you can
>> make it, Miracle.
>
> Cool beans! Now, make the days a few hours longer......

Done.

Bed time is now 6:00pm (or 18:00 hrs as they like to say where I
work), and your alarm clock is now set at 04:00 hrs.

Anything else I can do for you?

--
--==< S m e g h e a d >==--

Smeghead wrote:
> "Miracle Smith" wrote...
>> Cool beans! Now, make the days a few hours longer......
>
> Done.
>
> Bed time is now 6:00pm (or 18:00 hrs as they like to say where I
> work), and your alarm clock is now set at 04:00 hrs.
>
> Anything else I can do for you?

Ah, yeah. Make me *like* that proposed schedule........ ;)