[SOLVED] Every day has become a bad day for my internet.

Feb 27, 2019
My internet as it is currently set up now, used to work just fine. Then every once in awhile it would have bad days where I would get horrible lag on every game I played. Then it became every other day was a bad day. Now it's to the point where basically every single day is a bad day I can no longer play games online except for maybe one day per month. My question is, what causes this and how do I fix it?

I know you guys are all going to want a list of specs and information about my internet and router and everything although it really shouldn't matter because like I said my current setup used to work just fine but I'll give it to you anyways just to prevent us from wasting time.

The lag occurs on all games and all devices, PC laptop, multiple PlayStations, all of which dont lag when I take them to someone else's house.

I have tried both wired connection and wireless connection, multiple devices connected, and only one device connected at a time none of these changed the lag at all.

I have tried messing with settings including static IP, DNS, MTU on all of my devices.

I have tried two different routers both of which used to work just fine and now neither of them works well. On both of those routers I have set up a DMZ, I've done port forwarding, and various other things that I found on the internet that are supposed to help fix packet loss / lag nothing fixed it. The router given to me by my ISP is a mikrotik router it used to work fine now it doesn't. The other router is a trendnet which I purchased myself, it used to work fine now it doesn't.

Yes I have tried the obvious resetting your router resetting your PlayStation, resetting your PC. checking all the ports and cables making sure nothing's damaged, everything is good there.

Some other things that may be important to note are; I lag the same way in every game, it's a quick freeze and teleport every 4 seconds in every game I play (sounds like packet loss but could just be the Ping spiking). Also long before these issues started happening I used to get minor versions of this at certain times of the night usually usually worse around 9 p.m. every night. But now it's like it's 9 p.m. at night all the time and the lag is much worse than before.

Basically what I'm looking for is if any of you know what could be causing this and how I could fix it. If not I'm really just trying to confirm with you and myself that this is my isp fault and this is not on my end because like I've said my devices work at other peoples houses, it's every single game, it's all the time, and it used to all work.

Oh and one more thing, my type of Internet is called airnet I have an antenna mounted on the side of my house pointed to another antenna it works kind of like satellite but the satellites on the ground instead of in space. The antenna mounted on my house connects to another antenna mounted on a barn silo. I know this sounds bad but keep in mind that it used to work.

Last edited:
Solution
Random spikes in the ping times will cause lag in your game. Getting a ISP to fix that is going to much harder than total loss. It depends what is causing the spikes. Most times it is load related but in your case I suppose it could be related to the wireless system.

The next steps are pretty much the same. Run a tracert to 8.8.8.8. Find the first hop that will respond past your router. Run a ping to your router and to that IP at the same time you want to show the ISP you have no issues to your router but you see problems in their network.

Not sure what they will do. If they have over sold the network and you and other customers are using all their capacity it you will see spikes because your traffic is getting queued...
How do you get Internet from your ISP - cable, LAN, fiber? If you can - try bypassing the router completely, and run a constant ping to your game server, and some well-known server
Code:
c:\users\me\> ping -t 8.8.8.8
c:\users\me\> ping -t 192.168.0.1  <<--- your router' LAN address
This will tell you whether the problem is with your ISP connection to that server,

Feb 27, 2019
How do you get Internet from your ISP - cable, LAN, fiber? If you can - try bypassing the router completely, and run a constant ping to your game server, and some well-known server
Code:
c:\users\me\> ping -t 8.8.8.8
c:\users\me\> ping -t 192.168.0.1  <<--- your router' LAN address
This will tell you whether the problem is with your ISP connection to that server,
I mean there's a cable coming from the antenna mounted on the house if that's what you're talking about. I don't think I'm able to bypass the router completely I've tried in the past it hasn't worked.

Feb 27, 2019
Nope, I don't want your specs.

I want to know what other human share your ISP and what are they doing? I first suspect human failings, THEN technology, in that order.
Are you talking about other people in my house? The problems occur even if there is only one device on in the house.

Are you talking about other people in my house? The problems occur even if there is only one device on in the house.
Already then.

Next step: Your Fault (including your own equipment) or ISP Fault?

So next time this happens, monitor whether your pipes (download, as well as upload) are congested. If congestion=your fault. If no congestion, is now PING much worse than normal? must ping from Modem and out, bypassing everything else. If ping HERE bad then ISP fault.

Meanwhile go into your modem and look for error rates, Google the web whether your error rate is acceptable.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019
Already then.

Next step: Your Fault (including your own equipment) or ISP Fault?

So next time this happens, monitor whether your pipes (download, as well as upload) are congested. If congestion=your fault. If no congestion, is now PING much worse than normal? must ping from Modem and out, bypassing everything else. If ping HERE bad then ISP fault.

Meanwhile go into your modem and look for error rates, Google the web whether your error rate is acceptable.
So I need to bypass the router and ping in the cmd? Also I'm not sure if the radio on the side of my house counts as a modem. If not then I don't have one. Currently I'm using my isp's router, the radio on my house has a black cable similar to an ethernet cable coming from it, which plugs directly into the router because the router has built-in Poe, there's nothing in between the antenna/radio on the side of my house and the router.

Lets go back and do some testing first.

Ping the router ip and if you get no loss then the problem is not inside your house.

Next ping 8.8.8.8

I suspect you will see the problem on the 8.8.8.8 and not on your router ip.

You could at this point remove the router and test directly to the modem but I strongly suspect you will see the same thing. The only reason you would do this is if you suspected a hardware issue with the router on the WAN side.

Since the connection from you house is wireless that connection is likely the problem. You would need to contact your ISP if that connection is something you purchase. If it is something you ran yourself you will need to test on the far end to see if the problem is the radio link or something farther into the network.

Feb 27, 2019
Lets go back and do some testing first.

Ping the router ip and if you get no loss then the problem is not inside your house.

Next ping 8.8.8.8

I suspect you will see the problem on the 8.8.8.8 and not on your router ip.

You could at this point remove the router and test directly to the modem but I strongly suspect you will see the same thing. The only reason you would do this is if you suspected a hardware issue with the router on the WAN side.

Since the connection from you house is wireless that connection is likely the problem. You would need to contact your ISP if that connection is something you purchase. If it is something you ran yourself you will need to test on the far end to see if the problem is the radio link or something farther into the network.
So I ran the test and I got 0% loss on everything, however, when I run the test on 8.8.8.8 the Ping is very inconsistent. Also not able to bypass the modem because I do not have one. Cable from the radio on my house goes directly to the router(built in POE). I have also contacted my ISP on this issue several times and the only thing they tell me is "your signal is strong."
I also just ran the ping -t 8.8.8.8 test and most of the paintings range from 20ms to 40ms but every 10 or so jump to 200ms to 700ms.

Last edited:
Random spikes in the ping times will cause lag in your game. Getting a ISP to fix that is going to much harder than total loss. It depends what is causing the spikes. Most times it is load related but in your case I suppose it could be related to the wireless system.

The next steps are pretty much the same. Run a tracert to 8.8.8.8. Find the first hop that will respond past your router. Run a ping to your router and to that IP at the same time you want to show the ISP you have no issues to your router but you see problems in their network.

Not sure what they will do. If they have over sold the network and you and other customers are using all their capacity it you will see spikes because your traffic is getting queued behind theirs. They will never admit they have oversold the network. Some WISP systems sometime will see spikes but most times that means they have the equipment configured wrong. These radios use a form of QoS so everyone gets a fair share. They could have oversold the radio bandwidth also. Then again they may be using simple wifi and not one of the specialized systems used in WISP installs. If that is true it is subject to the same problems as a home wifi.

Solution
Several times you're mentioning "Antennae"... Is your ISP satellite, or some form of long-range wireless?

Here's one more test to do: Do a "tracert 8.8.8.8", and do "ping -t" to first couple of hops. I'm sure there were graphical utilities which could do this in a fancy way, but they just slipped off my mind...

Feb 27, 2019
Several times you're mentioning "Antennae"... Is your ISP satellite, or some form of long-range wireless?

Here's one more test to do: Do a "tracert 8.8.8.8", and do "ping -t" to first couple of hops. I'm sure there were graphical utilities which could do this in a fancy way, but they just slipped off my mind...
I did the Tracer. the first hop (router) consistent low ping never comes up, everything else runs a decent ping but it's frequently spiking up to 300 or more.

My internet is a form of long-range Wireless called Airnet