Every game I try to start I get a "missing .dll" error. Are my games broken?

atibingler

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015
Every game I try to start I get a "missing .dll" error.

Recently I had to do a clean reinstall of Windows 7 (all data from SSD wiped out)

But I had all my games on a separate HDD, and I still can see the files there, just when I press the .exe's get the .dll error.

Are my games broken from reinstalling Windows even if my games were on the HDD?

Solution
You can also go into Steam settings to have it look in the place you have them. I have Steam installed on my SSD, but have it set with libraries on D: and E:.

I think that it's under settings -> downloads or something like that. (I'm at work and can't check for sure.) Once you have that updated to reflect where your Steamapps folder is, right click on the game launcher in the Steam library, then properties (I think) and then verify game files, or something to that effect. It should then go and make sure everything is set the way it should be and fix it if it's not.

Note: If you have desktop shortcuts, you will need to update these as well. (this is why I only use the Steam library launchers)

atibingler

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015

they vary by the game. But it's always a .dll file

By the way I had Steam installed on the SSD.

But still the install locations of the actual games were on the HDD though.

Moldoror

Reputable
Mar 11, 2015
Steam and games need to be installed on steamapps folder inside steam folder, may be that's why. Try to uninstall the game and install it on recommended folder, cos the games need to find other files on steam folder.

Game folder: \Steam\steamapps\common

Try it

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
You can also go into Steam settings to have it look in the place you have them. I have Steam installed on my SSD, but have it set with libraries on D: and E:.

I think that it's under settings -> downloads or something like that. (I'm at work and can't check for sure.) Once you have that updated to reflect where your Steamapps folder is, right click on the game launcher in the Steam library, then properties (I think) and then verify game files, or something to that effect. It should then go and make sure everything is set the way it should be and fix it if it's not.

Note: If you have desktop shortcuts, you will need to update these as well. (this is why I only use the Steam library launchers)

Solution
Steam settings, downloads, steam folders allows you to specify other localtions for games besides the default steam folder. It is likely you had originally done so by installing them on the HDD.
Pointing to correct folders again and restarting steam should allow steam to verify that games are fine (either automatically or manual verify from game properties) and then it should work without extra huge downloads.

atibingler

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2015
Hey everyone I fixed the issue!!

Okay I tried a bunch of things before I found the actual solution, here is what I did:

I tried to go to click on a game and go to Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache etc. but it is just grayed out and saying that the game is using no disk-space at all

So basically Steam couldn't fix the installation because it doesn't even recognize the game to begin with

I also tried this: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638

None of these things worked.

But then I went to Steam -> Settings -> Downloads (like the_crippler pointed out) and found a "Steam Library Settings". "Manage content locations on multiple drives"

And I just added my old SteamLibrary -folder with all my games into Steam as a valid game library.

Looks like I just needed to point a finger for Steam so it knew where my games were installed.

Thx a bunch for the help, couldn't have done this without you!! :cry: