EVERYTHING is watercooled, which case is big enough?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aielman

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
No...you're right. You don't have to have a big fancy case, but if you don't have a big case, you're going to have to do some large scale modifications unless you use external radiators, which doesn't seem to be that wise if this is going to be sitting in a closet.

The 8800's in an sli configuration are going to draw a serious amount of power. So you'll either need a 1kw psu per recommendations, or a couple of smaller ones...and that's without taking the pumps into account. Keeping those beasts cool, along with all the other components, in the place that he plans to store it, is going to require a large cooling system with at least 2 large radiators. I'd probably run a double loop with a 120.3 radiator for the video cooling loop, and the rest on the other loop with a 120.2 or a pa160.

With all that, you'll need a pretty large full tower case, or a cube. If he doesn't want to start drilling holes for the radiators, the cubes are really the only option imo.

If you don't mind modding, then by all means, check out some of the smaller cases. A Lian Li pc7077 would be a good choice, as would a Temjin, or a Stacker.

peace,
Aielman

Zeal

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2006
i dont really know how big the cubes are i've only seen small pictures, and once again im not a big fan of modding and having the guts of the computer exposed, i think those other radiators make the computer look like the engine of a car or something, as if it's like a frankstein experiment on a computer, as far as the power supply im gonna have a tagan 1100w :twisted: sh|ts bad ass read alot of great reviews on tagan, built by 5 guys that use to have alot of power supply problems and met up at a convention, they know enthusiasts problems and how to deal with them plus it's the most powerful PSU on the market, if the thermaltake 1200 watt PSU comes out before i build the PC i'll take that :)

gomerpile

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2005
What you mentioned here is true but If you have not seen my case look, its made water cooling fun to handle and easy to work with but a pain to get around the wheels help though. I wont give a nother pic people are getting tired of the same old thing.

Seraph95Zero

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
So i haven't had a chance to read through everything, but i did see that you wanted to put this thing into a closet? If this has not been mentioned then i hope that you realize that water cooling can only cool your computer to as cold as the ambient air temperature that the radiators are in. For example if you stick this baby in a small closet the heat will yes be undissipated into the closet and it should run cooler UNTIL the temperature in the closet warms up, and seeing as you said it was a "HOT closet" then i think air or water cooling is a bad idea. Your best/cheapest bet is going to be take some people advise, stick with air cooling, perhaps buy some more efficient air coolers, and DON'T put it in a closet for heavens sake. I personally have water cooling but I also over clock a lot and a more robust cooling is needed. If you plan on being stock then stick with air, less hassle, and spend that extra money on another monitor... geez

Just my 2 cents

~Seraph

aielman

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
So i haven't had a chance to read through everything, but i did see that you wanted to put this thing into a closet? If this has not been mentioned then i hope that you realize that water cooling can only cool your computer to as cold as the ambient air temperature that the radiators are in.
~Seraph

Yeah, it was mentioned. He plans to overclock at some point when he's out of the closet :wink:

Btw...the MM cubes are 18x18x18 and the Lian Li is 20x18x18

peace,
Aielman

Goggle Eye

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Common since is not very common.

If you are looking for extreme water cooled set ups Google performance PC Sleeve it they will come. Select water Cooling Select Water Cooled Cases.

I have Hanks case that james built for him. Take a look at the Yellow case.

Performance PC water cooled systems are by far the best on the net period. They have the best policies concerning returns. I will testify to the fact that Performance PC stands behind there work.

If you do not like fancy water cooled systems and bling. That is ok. Why do you blast people that enjoy building a system that is clean, Looks well and performs extremley well? Just currious sounds like jelous people that envies people that has the dollars to invest in a system by saving there hard earned dollars by savingt for 5 years, worked diligently at there job and spare time jobs.

Goggle Eye

CraigHarrison

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
uh ..
I think the last posts on this thread were made back in 2006 ..they're talking bout the 8800GTX like its something amazing ..lol ..not to mentioned the x800s .. XD ..
feels a time capsule ..i thought i was reading a few day old thread ..lol ..

TRENDING THREADS