EVGA’s K|NGP|N Graphics Card Available This Week: Here Are The Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Bit odd IMO that this card comes with a lower base clock than the SC ACX 2.0. If it's supposed to be such a beast, it could at least come at a better-than-anything-else-already base clock. I know the supposed rationale, let the buyer do the oc'ing, but still...

Ian.

tom10167

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
I wish they'd offer that cooler on other cards... because it's awesome. And because who is going to really buy this card for $850 and keep it on air?
I think the ASIC option is really freakin cool.

lets see.. evga cant keep current cards in stock , but there able to release new cards ,, hmmmm so if you cant get the card you want that's all ready been out how do we expect to get a hold of this one ? indefinite auto notify for month on end ??? LOL

expunged

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2015
looks gorgeous, wish they plated the copper though
It would look better plated but not cool as well. I would like to see them offer this card without a cooler for those of us that want to water cool it.

John Wittenberg

Reputable
Mar 9, 2014
"...but typically the higher quality of the ASIC translates into a better chance of high overclocking potential."

That's for overclocking on Air. For water you want lower (I've seen low to mid 70% thrown out as an example), and with LN2 you want really low quality ASIC. The reason being is that with lower quality ASIC, there is more voltage leakage and the card can take more volts - better scaling when pushing the voltage and therefor better overclocking at less than ambient temps.

DISCLAIMER: This is not first hand knowledge, but what I've read about with regards to other people's experiences.

"...but typically the higher quality of the ASIC translates into a better chance of high overclocking potential."

That's for overclocking on Air. For water you want lower (I've seen low to mid 70% thrown out as an example), and with LN2 you want really low quality ASIC. The reason being is that with lower quality ASIC, there is more voltage leakage and the card can take more volts - better scaling when pushing the voltage and therefor better overclocking at less than ambient temps.

DISCLAIMER: This is not first hand knowledge, but what I've read about with regards to other people's experiences.

However it is true. AMD released a TWKR edition Phenom II:

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-phenom-ii-42-twkr-black-edition-processor_1009

It was a CPU specifically deemed for extreme overclocking as it had massive leakage but overclocked very high.

arestavo

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
That's what lower ASIC qulaity means... more voltage leakage and more overclockability under water and LN2. I reread what I wrote and fail to see how I didn't explain that clearly enough.

VyTDarkcektor

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
@ mapesdhs I believe the SC comes with a base of 1102 and boost of 1190. The highest I can think of if I'm not mistaken is the MSI Gaming 6G with a base of 1178 and a boost of 1279. If I read correctly, the K|NGP|N will have a base of 1203 and a boost of 1304 making it the highest factory clocked 980 Ti to date.

Asus GTX 980Ti Strix is the highest to date. 1216MHz base 1317MHz boost in OC mode (secondary BIOS).

VyTDarkcektor

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
As for that cooler. That is probably the greatest thing I have seen in many years on a high end card like this. This will be ideal for the SLI guys. RGB lighting also a sylish plus! ASIC purchasing is pretty sweet too but that price is kinda up there. Still, +1 for EVGA to be so ambitious this time around.

arestavo

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013

It's good for SLI if you have VERY good air circulation and/or at least 1 slot between each card. ACX cards absolutely suck with cooling when you start sandwiching them together due to the fact that they don't exhaust most of the hot air out of the rear like a reference cooler would.

I just got done trying to help an EVGA forum user with tri-sli and 780 Ti ACX cards - that center card hit 100C regardless of what he tried, but when it was moved to the bottom slot it was fine.

VyTDarkcektor

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
@ jimmysmitty I didn't think about the strix, hell of a clock for factory. I went to up vote your comment and my phone decided it wanted to do the opposite. I'm sorry about that. You may down vote me for my phones stupidity :(.

@ arestavo Truth be told about acx, but isn't this cooler a little shorter? I should have mentioned that I was thinking of dual sli as well. I think all will agree that above 2 water is preferred.

antandshell

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
This is no longer true...Not with Maxwell anyway...Vince admitted the same...

However it is true. AMD released a TWKR edition Phenom II:

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-phenom-ii-42-twkr-black-edition-processor_1009

It was a CPU specifically deemed for extreme overclocking as it had massive leakage but overclocked very high.

jedik1

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
Remember .... paying 50% extra money for only 10-15% performance increase is definitely labeled for fools.

That 80%+ is ASIC...learn what ASIC is.

Xivilain

Reputable
Apr 16, 2014
Remember .... paying 50% extra money for only 10-15% performance increase is definitely labeled for fools.

Generally, if you can afford such a price premium, you wouldn't care how much more it costs.

*ahem* Apple *ahem*

expunged

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2015

hey Apple laptops are not bad...after you format and load linux.

''@ mapesdhs I believe the SC comes with a base of 1102 and boost of 1190. The highest I can think of if I'm not mistaken is the MSI Gaming 6G with a base of 1178 and a boost of 1279. If I read correctly, the K|NGP|N will have a base of 1203 and a boost of 1304 making it the highest factory clocked 980 Ti to date''

is it not one of the zotac cards at 1250 Boost Clock 1355MHz out of its box ??
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500379

this is the one line of 900 cards that evga ''dont'' offer the better clocks for the price point

theres plenty to read up on at the evga forums on what there guys have to say

http://forums.evga.com/980-Ti-Classified-or-980-Ti-KNGPN-m2368456.aspx

But at that point why pay a price premium for parts? It is not like they are using anything special. ALl Intel x86 parts and parts you can get in say an Asus Ultrabook or laptop for half the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS