EVGA 1080 TI SC2 - Idel Temp above 50

00codefinder

Reputable
May 21, 2014
Hi all,

Looking for some input. Recently purchased the 1080TI, I noticed when at idle and doing nothing gpu intensive like surfing, or just waking the PC from sleep mode it sits above 50 degrees. Little concerned, is this normal. From reading the forums most seem to be in the 30s at idle. Anyway I still have time to exchange this card if this is not normal.

Cheers.

Solution
The FANS can turn off when idle/light. Most turn on about 60degC.

So the temperature in idle is higher than cards with fans ON. You can verify by looking at the fans physically to see if OFF, or using EVGA Precision X OC to look at fan RPM, or set a fan profile to turn them ON at all times if you want (i.e. 400RPM at lowest and ramp up).

It's fine to leave it as is unless there's an annoying NOISE when the fans turn on (which happens to me so I set the fans on always which works just fine. I still can't hear them in idle).
The FANS can turn off when idle/light. Most turn on about 60degC.

So the temperature in idle is higher than cards with fans ON. You can verify by looking at the fans physically to see if OFF, or using EVGA Precision X OC to look at fan RPM, or set a fan profile to turn them ON at all times if you want (i.e. 400RPM at lowest and ramp up).

It's fine to leave it as is unless there's an annoying NOISE when the fans turn on (which happens to me so I set the fans on always which works just fine. I still can't hear them in idle).

Solution