[SOLVED] EVGA 3080 Ti runs hot?

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
Hello. I have an EVGA 3080 Ti and when it is at full load the temps are in the low 80s and fan speed is 81%. Is it supposed to be running this hot? Prior to this I have an Asus 2080 Strix and when I first got that card it ran very cool under load never exceeding 65 degrees but then later something changed and it also began to run hotter.

Solution
The card will throttle itself at 83°C, downclocking the GpuBoost3. That's standard for all the 3000 series.
It's a 3080ti. That's a lot more card and not a lot more cooling ability than the 2080. It's going to get hot, same as a cpu gets hot when under full loads.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The card will throttle itself at 83°C, downclocking the GpuBoost3. That's standard for all the 3000 series.
It's a 3080ti. That's a lot more card and not a lot more cooling ability than the 2080. It's going to get hot, same as a cpu gets hot when under full loads.

Solution
What case do you have? With my 3080 installing a couple of 140mm fans at the bottom of the case as intakes reduced it’s temperature by approx 4c. Clearly starving for cool air when I only had front intake fans. When you look at the front fans there is usually very little fan area blowing air under the gpu which is where it takes air from.

After deciding overclocking my already slightly overclocked gpu was pointless I moved to undervolting. The extra heat and noise from overclocking which improved score in benchmarks but made naff all difference to gameplay. With a small undervolt I kept performance but managed to get the temperature down to about 67-69c most of the time, in summer I think it might have got to 74c when the room was hot and no a/c on. The undervolt made about a 5c difference on top of the 4c from the additional fans.

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
What case do you have? With my 3080 installing a couple of 140mm fans at the bottom of the case as intakes reduced it’s temperature by approx 4c. Clearly starving for cool air when I only had front intake fans. When you look at the front fans there is usually very little fan area blowing air under the gpu which is where it takes air from.

After deciding overclocking my already slightly overclocked gpu was pointless I moved to undervolting. The extra heat and noise from overclocking which improved score in benchmarks but made naff all difference to gameplay. With a small undervolt I kept performance but managed to get the temperature down to about 67-69c most of the time, in summer I think it might have got to 74c when the room was hot and no a/c on. The undervolt made about a 5c difference on top of the 4c from the additional fans.

Hey thanks for the reply. My case is the Cooler Master H500M it has 200MM fans in the front. I have one exhaust fan in the back and two fans above the radiator pulling air out at the top of the case. There isn't a place to put any more fans at this point though unless maybe I take out the PSU Shroud which I don't want to do. It is pretty hot in here though from the heating, actually I have a thermometer here it's 80 degrees in the room heh. I opened the windows and it's really cold today let's see what happens, usually though it makes little difference. This case has swappable front covers either mesh or glass. I've been using the mesh one for a long time and decided to put on the glass for a change that probably didn't help :)

Pavel Pokidaylo

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2013
yep looks like things are not as dire with the window open and cool air coming in. The windows right next to the computer also. That's some really cold air though lol it's 16 degrees here in NY today. The card is hovering around 80 degrees and 80% on the fans but it's not throttling. I guess I'll have to put the mesh panel back on :)

Hey thanks for the reply. My case is the Cooler Master H500M it has 200MM fans in the front. I have one exhaust fan in the back and two fans above the radiator pulling air out at the top of the case. There isn't a place to put any more fans at this point though unless maybe I take out the PSU Shroud which I don't want to do. It is pretty hot in here though from the heating, actually I have a thermometer here it's 80 degrees in the room heh. I opened the windows and it's really cold today let's see what happens, usually though it makes little difference. This case has swappable front covers either mesh or glass. I've been using the mesh one for a long time and decided to put on the glass for a change that probably didn't help :)
Have you tried increasing the front intake fan speed? Being 200mm they should still be virtually silent. Have you tried increasing the fan curve on the gpu? Otherwise it is definitely worth trying undervolting.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You have a 350-500w gpu(depending on model) now, when your previous one was 215-310w (again, depending on model). That difference is not insignificant.
The higher power consumption probably wasn't taken into account. Faster air movement would be desired, and the card will heat up your room plus the air inside the PC, faster, compared to the previous card... unless you figure out a way to direct the heat out of the room.

All 3080Tis can thermal throttle... EVGA supposedly has some of the better engineered models though...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
All video cards have the potential to throttle. Just need to hit the right (wrong) combination of ambient temps, case temps, loads, airflow and bang you got a hot card.

Picture: 200mm fans are Great for moving air, but suck at making it move, very little static pressure compared to a much smaller fan. That was the biggest complaint of the original H500 cases, that solid front and low sp fans. That's why later designs included a Mesh front, the glass front was starving the case for airflow.

80°F is 27°C. That's exterior ambient. Everything inside the case is starting with a 27° base temp. Add in Sata chipsets, USB chipsets, VRM's, gpu, cpu pump, tubing, drives and every other source of radiated heat and the lousy airflow and the interior of your case is approaching or exceeding 40°C.

If the load on the gpu is sufficient to create a larger Delta, added onto the 40° case ambient temp start, you get a cyclic airflow pattern, the case temps rise as more heat is produced than can be expelled. That's when you see throttling temps. You basically turn your case into a convection oven.

In a case with good airflow (that doesn't mean More fans) the heat is expelled as fast as its produced, no cyclic pattern, load temps are what they are.

Best case scenario is mesh front, higher set fan curves for both intake and exhaust fans, case next to open window. Get the heat out of the case and it cannot be reused to try and cool the gpu.