Question EVGA 3090 TI Ultra Gaming Performance Issues/Troubleshooting Help

Oct 4, 2022
Hi Everyone,

Want to preface that this might be a very nuanced or annoying post, but any help would be much appreciated as the 30-day window to return my card is rapidly approaching (3 days)!

I seem to be having abnormal HWiNFO Power Readings after upgrading from an MSI Gaming Z Trio 3080 12 GB LHR to an Evga 3090 TI Ultra Gaming and need a second pair of eyes to make sure I'm not buying into the hysteria surrounding the 12vhpwr adapters and transient spikes on 1000W> PSUs.

Right after installing the 3090. I clean installed windows 10 pro using the media creation tool as well as additional updates, chipset drivers, GPU drivers, etc., and immediately noticed some lags and stuttering in the following games (OW/GoW/FN/RE:8/CS:GO), higher idle mem usage, high idle sys voltages/spikes followed by extreme dips, constant disk writes, IO latency, page faults, multiple system freezes requiring a hard reset.

Windows settings: I have almost all of the privacy settings turned off, cortana/one drive disabled/uninstalled, background apps disabled, all startup tasks disabled besides L-Connect 3, fast boot off, balanced power settings (even tried high performance), HAGS (on/off), slideshow off, taskbar news/weather off. NVCCP defaults (high performance and normal) and have turned G-Sync on and off with the same results. Outside of a bios update, I'm not sure what else I can do from an OS standpoint to drive more performance into my rig.

HWiNFO Readings: Should I be concerned with some of the readings on the attached pics? The GPU 12V rails while under load seem very low -. i.e., Gpu 12v PCIe slot only supplying 8 watts under load, performance lost on 5600X clocks, higher sys temps on the chipset, PSU, and RAM (even tho the 3090 TI is cooler than both my previous cards (1080 AMP and 3080). I haven't overclocked anything besides turning on A-XMP in BIOS and I have not made any adjustments within UEFI which the other two cards ran stable at.

Specs: Build pic

Case: Lian Li Mesh II RGB
Mobo: MSI MAG X570s Tomahawk Max Wifi (Bios 7DV10 AGESA 1.2.0.3a)
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x (PBO auto; Deepcool AS500 Plus)
GPU: Evga 3090 TI Ultra Gaming (stock; using EVGA 3 x 8 pin adapter)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro SL 2 x 16 GB 3600 CL 18 (XMP Profile 2)
Drives: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1tb & Crucial P2 1tb
PSU: Corsair RM (2021) 850W
Monitor: MSI G273QPF 1440p 165 HZ
Case Fans: 3 SL 120 intake, 1 SL 120 top exhaust above deepcool & 1 SL 120 rear exhaust

For what it's worth, I will inevitably have to upgrade my PSU as I am waiting for either the 5900X or 5800X3D prices to fall, however, I'd rather try to get a better understanding of the issues before having to return the card or continuing to use the card while degrading the rest of my components.

TL;DR: Need someone to look at recent HWiNFO snips and confirm if voltages and other system readings are causing performance issues, or if there are any other tips or adjustments I can make within BIOS/OS after performance issues with my 3090 TI, thanks!!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

+

You should've invested in a 1.5KW or higher PSU to power the entire build, due to transient load spikes.

Oct 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

+

You should've invested in a 1.5KW or higher PSU to power the entire build, due to transient load spikes.

Hey there Lutfij, thanks for the reply! While I understand transient load spikes my cause an issue with a lower watt PSU, I am wondering if any of the readings directly indicate those issues. For instance, are the gpu 12 v rail dips reflecting power draw instability or other max As/Ws/Vs showing a transient spike issue? Are the rest of the readings normal? Are there known performance issues/optimization with games or the CPU I paired the card with? Hope I am not coming off as rude, just want to get a better understanding of what I'm looking at!
EDIT, the app hangs or restarts have not happened during a gaming session only during browsing with multiple tabs or after a full day of gaming. browsing, etc. without shutting down. I think Lian Li's software is causing some of these issues although I do not know for certain. Just confused that I had better stability when using a 3080 12gb GPU which pulled ~395 watts at full load and the 3090 TI has pulled ~440 watts.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2022
its hard to say if its transient spikes im using standard 3090 on 850w PSU no issues here, my question for you is did you buy the GPU 2nd hand? perhaps defective
Sorry for the late reply, I bought it from Microcenter unopened. Not sure if you use HWiNFO as well, but are you receiving similar voltages on your GPU rails under load?