Evga 9800gt overheating

soulfringe

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
So here is the story...

My case doesn't have the side panel and I stretch my legs while I am playing some WoW and made slight contact with my card with one of my toes and noticed it was pretty freaking hot.

So I open up my Nividia control panel and go look at the gpu settings and see that my card is running at a reported 98c with fanspeed set to 30% !!!! So I close up WoW, and boost my fanspeed to let the temp stabalize back to its usual 57-60c and lower the clock speeds on the control panel (thought my novice knowledge doesn't know if it does this on the fly, or if I need to reboot to set it in).

This fanspeed thing has been a problem with the control panel. Every time I reboot the manual set 100% drops to 30%. I have tried saving profiles to load up upon reboot, but only the fanspeed won't save. If I keep the control panel to auto speed, it always adjust the speed to keep the temp to save at mid 70's with the fanspeed never exceeding more than a 70% load.

So anyways back to the 98c thing. It had been a couple days since I rebooted, so I have probably been running at this 30% fan speed for a couple days, keeping my temps way high.

My card still appears to be fine. I ran some stability tests, played some more wow, watched videos, etc. No problems reported or seen.

However I have yet to shut down or reboot.

So my questions are this.

1) Do you think my card will continue to run properly if I rebooted/shut down ? I am worried that it will be like a sever head trauma and will cease to work if it let it sleep.

2) Do you think that the problems may occur later ?

3) Does anyone know how I can get that blasted nvidia control panel to save my fanspeed settings to 100%.

soulfringe

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
Negative on the OC.

My room is pretty warm in the first place usually.

and thanks for the link and info about it being able to operate under that temp.