News EVGA Abandons the GPU Market, Reportedly Citing Conflicts With Nvidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

logainofhades

Titan
Crazy I usually always buy EVGA GPUs I wonder how they will survive without that business. I did spend almost 2k on their 3080ti so I guess they will probably have cash for a while ripping everyone off. Now that the demand is gone I guess they don't care anymore.

It's called they wanted out of the toxic relationship, that they had with Nvidia. They still have their PSU business, which with 40 series power draw, will probably sell quite well, and a small range of other products.

While EVGA was in business with NVIDIA, they controlled 40% of the North American market share of AIC graphics cards.

Them quitting would definitely open up the inventory for other AICs to gobble up but it will take time for the die-hard EVGA fans to get adjusted to the new non-EVGA marketplace & as Jon Peddie predicts, It will take around 2-3 (possibly more) quarters for the North American GPU market to adjust to this huge change.

BILL1957

Commendable
Sep 8, 2020
While EVGA was in business with NVIDIA, they controlled 40% of the North American market share of AIC graphics cards.

Them quitting would definitely open up the inventory for other AICs to gobble up but it will take time for the die-hard EVGA fans to get adjusted to the new non-EVGA marketplace & as Jon Peddie predicts, It will take around 2-3 (possibly more) quarters for the North American GPU market to adjust to this huge change.
Seems like my choice to just get a 3090ti this past week and forget about waiting for 4080 availability may end up being a better decision than I figured it would be as I am out of the 40 series market now.

Reactions: Tom Sunday and gg83

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I didn't see this coming. EVGA has a positive reputation in the GPU industry. Their designs are good, support is great, and prices tend to deliver more bang for the buck compared to competitors. To abandon such a huge market share and good reputation means Nvidia may be making some ridiculous demands with the 40-series, or the post-crypto GPU flood is going to be so big that EVGA doesn't think it can make money.

I also wonder if Nvidia is trying to reset expectations. While they're generally a very greedy company, the post-crypto sales declines and long-term ramifications of breaking gamer upgrade habits will lower the prices GPUs can be sold at. While AIBs were jacking up prices like crazy during the shortage, Nvidia did not. Nvidia opted for steady increase in production and profit instead of the dramatic boom and bust their partners indulged in. Investors do not tolerate the profit line going down, even if it just went up by a distorted amount due to the shortages. Steady slope beats the speed bump then pothole every time.

If I had to guess, I would go with the latter -- a return to steady slope. The post-crypto GPU flood is going to be epic. Nvidia is going to have to sell 30-series near a loss to compete, and the 40-series can't command higher MSRPs than the 30-series or they'll just sit on shelves. AIBs will be squeezed out.

As an aside, this is an enormous opportunity for Intel. If they could entice EVGA to produce ARC GPUs, then the name reputation EVGA has built would go into helping Intel succeed instead of boosting Nvidia. If I was leadership at Intel, I would be making calls and getting on flights to meetings with EVGA right now. This could be the big break that gets people to stop laughing at ARC and take it seriously as an upcoming platform.

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
I wonder if the crypto gpu boom is what soured the partnership for good. If nvidia was setting price ceilings for aib partners and skimming the crypto markup off the top? Shame I've tried getting 30 series evga gpu's and they were constantly out of stock, had to settle for gigabyte.

Reactions: gg83

Giroro

Splendid
EVGA dropping out of the video card business is complete coorporate suicide.
It's like if McDonalds dropped out of the hamburger business to refocus their business on selling Happy Meal toys. It would be like Sony shutting down Playstation and pumping the last of their money into Sony Pictures.

Andrew Han simply wants to be (and will be) fired. There's no other reasonable explanation for this action.

Reactions: BTM18

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I also wonder if Nvidia is trying to reset expectations. While they're generally a very greedy company, the post-crypto sales declines and long-term ramifications of breaking gamer upgrade habits will lower the prices GPUs can be sold at. While AIBs were jacking up prices like crazy during the shortage, Nvidia did not. Nvidia opted for steady increase in production and profit instead of the dramatic boom and bust their partners indulged in. Investors do not tolerate the profit line going down, even if it just went up by a distorted amount due to the shortages. Steady slope beats the speed bump then pothole every time.

Nah, Nvidia just resorted to hiding their crypto profits under their gaming category to mask the "dramatic boom and bust". Now they are saying the issue with sales is due to "gamers" so wall st doesn't ding them as hard. However, their stock is down 62% from its high last year because anyone who fallows the stock market and technology in general knows Nvidia was full of **** when they reported those numbers under gaming.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
It's like if McDonalds dropped out of the hamburger business to refocus their business on selling Happy Meal toys. It would be like Sony shutting down Playstation and pumping the last of their money into Sony Pictures.

Andrew Han simply wants to be (and will be) fired. There's no other reasonable explanation for this action.

Fired by whom? He's the founder and CEO, it's a private company, their are no shareholders with massive stakes to push him out.

InvalidError

Titan
I wonder if the crypto gpu boom is what soured the partnership for good.
Jay's video basically says Nvidia is undercutting the AIBs with its FE cards and EVGA cannot break even attempting to compete with those, so it makes no sense to make any more at the prices Nvidia is charging for their GPU kits.

What is corporate suicide is staying in the GPU business selling GPUs at a loss.

Integr8d

Distinguished
May 28, 2011
The (IMHO) premier gpu maker is now no longer making gpu's
It is a shame they opted not to make AMD cards either.

Eh. I bought one of the 2080Ti’s back in the day. When I put one of their waterblocks on it, I discovered that there was about a 1/2mm gap between the cold plate and the silicon. When I contacted them, their engineer said that they could replace it but that it would be the same (a tacit acknowledgement of the design flaw).

I reached out to numerous contacts in the media and no one wanted to cover it. I’m guessing that was b/c of fear of losing ad dollars.

But all in all, it was shameful and I lost complete faith in them. It’s too bad too b/c I mostly loved their products and considered them moderately on par with Razer (though with their respective differences).

The last two boards were 3090s from Alienware. Reference spec. No problem adding EK blocks to them and they’ve performed amazingly.

Eh. I bought one of the 2080Ti’s back in the day. When I put one of their waterblocks on it, I discovered that there was about a 1/2mm gap between the cold plate and the silicon. When I contacted them, their engineer said that they could replace it but that it would be the same (a tacit acknowledgement of the design flaw).

I reached out to numerous contacts in the media and no one wanted to cover it. I’m guessing that was b/c of fear of losing ad dollars.

But all in all, it was shameful and I lost complete faith in them. It’s too bad too b/c I mostly loved their products and considered them moderately on par with Razer (though with their respective differences).

The last two boards were 3090s from Alienware. Reference spec. No problem adding EK blocks to them and they’ve performed amazingly.
How could it possibly be EVGA's fault that their PCB didn't fit your (I am assuming here) EK water block? Blocks are made to fit specific AIB boards, not the other way around? Am I missing something?

Last edited:

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
I think that eVGA will partner with AMD in the long term.

While the eVGA CEO currently doesn't want to do GPU's, I think the long term will be quite different.

There is a HUGE opportunity for AMD to get a HUGE win with eVGA joining the AMD side.

I doubt Intel has anything to offer eVGA with it's flailing ARC series of cards that can't get drivers working.

Reactions: jp7189

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Jay's video basically says Nvidia is undercutting the AIBs with its FE cards and EVGA cannot break even attempting to compete with those, so it makes no sense to make any more at the prices Nvidia is charging for their GPU kits
It makes you wonder: "WHEN?", not "IF?" will nVIDIA will cut out all their AIB's and be like Apple, all Vertically integrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.