[SOLVED] EVGA FTW3 ULTRA 3070 ti bad core clocks

bingo-993

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
i got this card a month ago and i overclocked it to the limit, but its so bad at keeping the core clock stable when on 100% usage ofcourse, temps reach a max of 75 in the worst case usually 73 on max load.
core clocks can stable around 2040 - 2025 in light games, playing heavy games something like metro exodus will make it run crazy dropping to even 1920 and fluctuating alot.
i just dont feel the power limit is enough to keep that clock speed something is wrong, or is it normal and I'm just used to my old strix card it was way more stable when overclocking.

hutchl

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
Metro is a cpu heavy game, you might not get full tilt clocks if your CPU is holding the card back. Which CPU are you running? Also consider turning off PCI-E clock gates in your bios. Also what PSU do you have?

bingo-993

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Metro is a cpu heavy game, you might not get full tilt clocks if your CPU is holding the card back. Which CPU are you running? Also consider turning off PCI-E clock gates in your bios. Also what PSU do you have?
i got a 5600x and usage is not high at all when i see these fluctuations. and yes metro is heavy but 1920? man its just too much and the fluctuations are just too much to the point where i see some stuttering.
ill try turning off the clock gates, i really don't have a clue what they are.

hutchl

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2014
i got a 5600x and usage is not high at all when i see these fluctuations. and yes metro is heavy but 1920? man its just too much and the fluctuations are just too much to the point where i see some stuttering.
ill try turning off the clock gates, i really don't have a clue what they are.

The real question is the performance where it should be? If you are getting good FPS and it is in line with the expected performance from your card, then there is no problem.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Gpu Boost, a feature introduced on Nvidia gpus since the GTX 10 series, is the biggest roadblock to OC'ing on them.
Users can't push the crap out of these cards like they could with previous generations for 'big gains'.
Plus, with how the algorithm dynamically changes based on parameters, like power consumption and thermals, the stability of numerous OCs out there is questionable:
Lower thermals equals higher sustained boost clocks.
Not constantly running into the board power limit also equals higher sustained boost clocks.

Going into an app like Afterburner and simply cranking up the power limit and core clock is not too effective with Gpu Boost: power consumption and thermals will go up, if you don't account for them, causing the algorithm to dial back more often.