Info EVGA GT 650w 80+ GOLD Teardown

This power supply was $44.99 with free shipping refurbished the other day. Surprisingly, I had enough self control not to buy it, but a friend of mine who was in the market for a decent standard length PSU did buy it and took some photos.

From what EVGA says, it looked promising.
7 year warranty
Full Japanese capacitors
50c rated
Full set of protections including otp
Fdb fan

Overview
View: https://imgur.com/q3i9toh

Bulk cap is 400v 105c Hitachi
View: https://imgur.com/plCxopS

Secondary caps are all 105c Nichicon.
View: https://imgur.com/v0QqTBW

Fan is from globe fan
View: https://imgur.com/VwPdPgR

Any clue who the OEM is?

Very odd layout to me, definitely not a platform I am familiar with. DC-DC boards are pretty prominent at least, but overall odd layout.

No photo of the underside of the PCB, but with the jumpers I see, it looks like a single layer PCB.

I guess HEC is what we are going to see a lot of anymore out of EVGA. Any clue if that platform is used in anything else?

R.I.P. Hitachi branded capacitors. This thing was made in early 2020 (date code on sticker on top of bulk cap) when they still existed.
That is interesting. You can still buy this model new, so I wonder what brand they swapped to now? I wouldn't mind if they swapped to Nichicon for all the caps tbh.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Nantong Jianghai Capacitor Co has taken over Hitachi Chemical's capacitor business (April 2020 planned). Jianghai wanted to expand, Hitachi was having issues keeping up with demand vs competition. Not sure if Jianghai will release caps branded under Hitachi license or if it's a clean split. The announcement release says HChem has transfered the business to HAIC (Hitachi AIC Inc) and Jianghai, to form a new company as a subsidiary of HChem.

To me, that's just talking in circles, still basically owned by Hitachi, just built by someone else in the family.
https://www.mc.showadenko.com/english/information/2020/n_200128h8a.html

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Jon most likely is walking a fine line at times. My guess is that he has access to teardowns of every major platform that's in direct competition, just to see what was used, why it was used, and why should he use or not use those parts in upcoming releases/revisions.

I'd not envy that kind of balancing act, having to watch every word said because of possible conflicts of interest.

Much respect that he does what he does and what he can here.

Reactions: Vic 40
Jun 2, 2021
Jon most likely is walking a fine line at times. My guess is that he has access to teardowns of every major platform that's in direct competition, just to see what was used, why it was used, and why should he use or not use those parts in upcoming releases/revisions.

I'd not envy that kind of balancing act, having to watch every word said because of possible conflicts of interest.

Much respect that he does what he does and what he can here.
100% agreed, I have a ton of respect for him

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Protections are hard to test for unless you have the right tools to do so. Power outputs have to be measured and adjustable for everything except short circuit, the only easy one.

And then there's the off-chance that protections are set so rediculously high that you run the risk of damage to the psu before they ever kick in, invalidating any further testing, as you can't then be sure of the health of the psu or its reliability.

Load tests are one thing, will the psu do what it claims and within specs or better, but protections are extreme circumstances not normal working parameters.

I'd hate to see Nighthawk blow up the psu chasing OCP with the rail at 140% and still not finding its limit.

Nantong Jianghai Capacitor Co has taken over Hitachi Chemical's capacitor business (April 2020 planned). Jianghai wanted to expand, Hitachi was having issues keeping up with demand vs competition. Not sure if Jianghai will release caps branded under Hitachi license or if it's a clean split. The announcement release says HChem has transfered the business to HAIC (Hitachi AIC Inc) and Jianghai, to form a new company as a subsidiary of HChem.

To me, that's just talking in circles, still basically owned by Hitachi, just built by someone else in the family.
https://www.mc.showadenko.com/english/information/2020/n_200128h8a.html

The Hitachi caps have been made by Nantong Jianghai in China for ages. Nantong Jiaghai bought Hitachi's electrolytic capacitor division. Hitachi is now out of that business and will focus only on solid caps. The actual branding on the capacitor is different now. I had a page with the new logo, but I can't seem to find it now. But there is no Hitachi branding on the new caps.

Do you know how the OCP, OPP, and the OTP on the GT is? Edit: And maybe the ripple?

They're there. The unit passed all of the testing I did to it. If I were to put it in a Corsair line up, it would go right in between CX-F/Vengeance and RM. That's in terms of ripple, regulation, etc. and not just efficiency, of course.

Reactions: Juular
Jun 2, 2021
The Hitachi caps have been made by Nantong Jianghai in China for ages. Nantong Jiaghai bought Hitachi's electrolytic capacitor division. Hitachi is now out of that business and will focus only on solid caps. The actual branding on the capacitor is different now. I had a page with the new logo, but I can't seem to find it now. But there is no Hitachi branding on the new caps.

They're there. The unit passed all of the testing I did to it. If I were to put it in a Corsair line up, it would go right in between CX-F/Vengeance and RM. That's in terms of ripple, regulation, etc. and not just efficiency, of course.
Ah thanks for the reply! Just to clarify do you mean vengeance bronze or silver? And 2019 RM? Appreciate the work you do!

Jun 2, 2021
Yeah. CX-F/Vengeance Silver and the most current RM that you can buy today. Put it in between there.

Really not bad. IIRC, the 850W version even worked with a 3090.
Good to know, thank you! It is actually very competitive with the market in that case, since the 650W version goes on B Stock for 45 dollars often, and can be found new for 70 dollars

Good to know, thank you! It is actually very competitive with the market in that case, since the 650W version goes on B Stock for 45 dollars often, and can be found new for 70 dollars

Yeah. Just "B stock" is very hit or miss. You have no idea why the original customer returned it in the first place.

And I'm not just bagging on EVGA. I'd say the same about Corsair refurbs as well.

Jun 2, 2021
Yeah. Just "B stock" is very hit or miss. You have no idea why the original customer returned it in the first place.

And I'm not just bagging on EVGA. I'd say the same about Corsair refurbs as well.
100% agreed. Also 1 year warranty, they're fine for flips and such but probably not a personal system. I usually ignore new EVGA releases, because they've gone insane, cut off reviewers, and released new PSUs at an extremely fast rate while they weren't quality. I don't know why this caught my eye, but it did. I'll probably be using a 6700XT and a 3600 together. Unrelated, but how are the transient power spikes on the 6700XT if you know? I read a techpowerup article and turns out it goes to 321W, but it also says the 5700XT can go up to 300w. I mean, I'd be pairing this with the GT, which you said should be fine, but I am curious anyway

Jun 2, 2021
That looks like pretty decent build quality for a $50 PSU. I'd be curious to see how it handles real world applications.

I wouldn't touch EVGA B Stock with a 10 foot pole though.
well, maybe not for psus no, they sell some other nice things under b stock. i mean i still would if i had to do a cheap flip or something, but never for a personal system

I don't have any issues with running EVGA bstock psus in my personal system(s).

I thought I had issues of with a cheap bstock PSU once, but didn't send it back because of shipping cost. Pretty sure that psu actually is fine, considering I pulled it out of my drawer earlier today and it fired up a system perfectly.

So I have never actually had any issues with a bstock PSU.

My i7 990x+gtx590 system is currently running on a $65 bstock GQ850w. Works absolutely perfectly.

Then again, my main system is using a Corsair HX750i that I stole from an older computer I bought off of eBay and I don't have a problem running that in my main system. To me a used or bstock PSU is fine as long as it hasn't been abused.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I usually ignore new EVGA releases, because they've gone insane
If that's not the truth. Things were good back when they made sense, NEX-g1-g2-b2 etc, now there's G(pick an alphabet letter) and no idea which is good, which is better, which is junk. Need an excel spreadsheet to keep track of even half the models.

I'd not be surprised to know that somewhere in Evga Corp offices there's an alphabet dartboard, and the janitor throws a dart over his shoulder blindfolded whenever Evga needs a new squ letter.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX