Evga GTX 960 FTW ACX 2.0 Clock Confusion

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I recently bought this card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487100
It is rated at having a core clock of 1304MHz with a boost clock of 1367MHz.

Yet, when I run the GPU-Z render test, both GPU-Z and Evga Precision show the core at 1480MHz. And that is steady, not peak. I haven't done any OC'ing of the card, so why is the clock so much higher than expected?
cic5LOO.jpg

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I bought the card new from the Egg. [strike]Do you suppose someone had the card before and OC'ed it? Then Newegg repackaged it as new? It looked new in the box, sealed with Evga tape on the static wrap. All components still untouched in their bags.[/strike]

Edit: Nevermind. If it was user OC'ed, it would show up in the clock offset.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador

I've been running gaming benchmarks and stress tests and the temps stay very cool. Even Furmark barely took it past 70C.
No crashes, no BSODs. Been testing it for 2 days at the stock settings. Finally I thought I better ask for some opinions on the matter.

Michael Conley

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
I have this same card and I'm getting the same clock speeds off Precision X.

My only issue is that despite it running GTA5 flawlessly at max settings, the game just randomly CTD's without any warning or symptoms. The card rarely gets hotter than 60 degrees.

I'm still within my return policy but I'm not sure if it's an issue with the card or with GTA5 and I've been unable to get useful support from either party :(

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
GTA5 has caused some very odd occurrences, if the posts on this forum are any indication. I would run some other games and stress tests to see if you can get the issue to re-occur. If not, I'd chalk it up to the game.
Mine is still running strong with the FX-6350 @ 4.6GHz that it is mated up with. No issues yet, but I don't have GTA5.

Michael Conley

Reputable
Jul 1, 2015
So I returned my original 960 FTW Edition and bought a 970. Just installed it no more than an hour ago. Couldn't even get past the North Yankton prologue before the game crashed.

It is 100% absolutely the game. Rockstar isn't fixing it because they refuse to even address the issue.