Jul 23, 2016
hello. my gtx 970 smoked a while ago and stopped working so i took it off and didnt use it. its been like 1 month and a few weeks since that happened. today i got free time and opened the card to find that those black squares (total of 12) above the gpu die one of them caused the white smoke. one of these squares has burn marks and it left one over the thermal pad. just wanted to ask what are those squares and can this be fixed?
http://fav.me/ddlu4lr

Solution
That is part of the GPU'S VRM, the component that's burned I believe is one of the low side MOSFETs.

It's possible that it could be repaired but is likely not worth doing on a 970. To have it professionally repaired would almost certainly cost way more than the card is worth.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
That is part of the GPU'S VRM, the component that's burned I believe is one of the low side MOSFETs.

It's possible that it could be repaired but is likely not worth doing on a 970. To have it professionally repaired would almost certainly cost way more than the card is worth.

Solution
Jul 23, 2016

ty for reply , yeah i think that 970 is dead , as this card before it was burned , stopped working then i heated the middle die and it worked for 2 months then burned. i guess time to buy a new gpu (looking forward to the rx 5500xt)