News EVGA Is Immediately Replacing All RTX 3090s That Died From New World

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
It's obvious why it's happening: cards are clearly have inadequate design and cheaping out on power delivery/cooling/protections. And the main blame takes Nvidia as they are limiting stability tests like FurMark in drivers due to their "unrealistic" load. And when some game or program actually does similar load without being known by driver? It fries the card.

D

Deleted member 431422

It's obvious why it's happening: cards are clearly have inadequate design and cheaping out on power delivery/cooling/protections. And the main blame takes Nvidia as they are limiting stability tests like FurMark in drivers due to their "unrealistic" load. And when some game or program actually does similar load without being known by driver? It fries the card.
My thought exactly. EVGA replacing the cards is a PR move, so people won't question the quality. Now I know it's better to avoid thier cards.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Absolutely kudos to EVGA for their consumer-friendly action on this.

At first, I was wondering if it was some kind of error in the power regulation design by Nvidia, or if it was specific to a custom design on the part of EVGA for the 3090. But now that it's exhibiting these symptoms on other models of Nvidia cards, AND on AMD . . I'm wondering exactly WHAT is going on with this game?

What did they do that's somehow tricking video cards to ignore their power limits?

Reactions: RodroX

Have you ever watched XOC?

Those guys push these gpu's WAAAY past what any game could want. yet..they dont die (usually and when do its users fault for failing to keep soemthign in control but thats besides point)

power delivery is likely fine. (in fact if that was what killed em you'd easily be able to tell as something would be fried usually)
cooling is likely fine (while the cards do get hot their built in protections throttle if you get too hot)
protections work, but are not infallible. If you keep relying on it then it will eventually fail and they can not protect vs everything (as they have to react and if the dmg is faster than that they cant do anything)

issue is likely what happened in past where GPU were allowed to go too far and caused issues. (this happened in past and vnidias fix was to lower clocks in firmware to prevent the issue from happening)

saying its on nvidia is liek saying its an engine makers fault for their engine dyign when yo never let off gas and burn it out until its damaged and dies.

No game should have uncapped menu screen (no reason to EVER push more than ur monitors refresh rate when its just pictures and txt usually static) as casues un-needed heat/power usage.

Mentioning FurMark is pointless too as thats a situation that wont ever be realistic especially since w/o OCing your gpu its never gonna be an issue (and if ur unaware... any OC over nvidias specs is NOT their fault as thats out of spec)

and if you seriously think amazons game is actually as hard as furmark ur mistaken. The games specs are nowhere near as demanding..heck ashes of singularity is harder on gpu.

Called Amazon's game has issues which if u watched video on the post is shsown...the game is drawing more PWR, yet not using said power to do anything about clock speeds/performance...its drawing power for literally no reason.

My thought exactly. EVGA replacing the cards is a PR move, so people won't question the quality. Now I know it's better to avoid thier cards.
please read before you post false info.

if you read (can even go reddit for other cases) page you will see it s not only 3090's and it isnt only EVGA gpu's.
and effects AMD gpu as well (and if ur unaware...evag does NOT deal with amd gpus so those would be on rest of the brands)

Know what this reminds me of?

thats kind of different issue.
that WAS due to cooling issues...and that lead them to make their ICX update (to either 2.0 or 3.0) and monitor more than just the core of gpu. As back then they didnt bother to give the vrm any worry (as those were usually not an issue in past)

TO those who saying its a PR move on EVGA you have likely never owned anything of theirs. Their Customer Support is likely best in the GPU space. Timely and helpful.

Again issue is likely due to amazon's poor choice of limits (as w/o drivers from nvidia its ALL up to them to control the hardware) and that GPU being OC'd and just running wild w/o drivers to tell em "oh sh*t" and back off.

daworstplaya

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Again Evga shows they have excellent customer service. I'm willing to bet a new vBIOS comes to fix said issue. The only thing I can think of, is the game has found a bug in the vBIOS of the cards that allows it to go beyond the allowed power specs.

Metteec

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
Oh goody, another VBIOS update. The last one I installed in my EVGA 3090 XC3 Ultra bricked my card. It cost me over $100 to ship the card back to EVGA because of the insurance.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
EVGA's replacement of cards is not a PR move. That's what they do. They have one of the best RMA and customer support in the biz. I have bought tons of EVGA stuff and they have never given me crap over anything from motherboards to video cards even cross shipping as in these cases and at least with their older products not sure since I haven't purchased EVGA in a while they have a life time warranty as long as you register online.

setx

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2014
saying its on nvidia is liek saying its an engine makers fault for their engine dyign when yo never let off gas and burn it out until its damaged and dies.
You have no idea what you are talking about. No user-mode software shall ever have the possibility to damage hardware. Period. No matter by accident or being malicious. That's how properly designed system shall behave.

and if you seriously think amazons game is actually as hard as furmark ur mistaken. The games specs are nowhere near as demanding..heck ashes of singularity is harder on gpu.
I seriously think that concept of blacklisting specific programs in drivers instead of implementing proper hardware limits (that would react faster than software and work even if software part is somehow screwed) is fundamentally flawed. Yes, it's cheaper, bit it's the wrong way.

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019

Very definitely a hardware design flaw which will appear running any software that pushes the card, if the flaw exists. If the flaw isn't there then the software can push the GPU until hell freezes over and it won't flame out on you. Still, it's the kind of thing rarely seen. It will throttle, instead, which is a far superior outcome, imo...;)

I also wonder about the "instant" 3090 supply EVGA now says it has during the so-called "shortage"--almost sounds like they've got a bunch of refurbs gathering dust to dispense...;) EVGA may be more familiar with this problem than is presently apparent.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCA_ChinChin

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
What a silly analogy saying that an engine be expected to fail if run hard. You think the engine in my tractor fails because I run it wide open for 10-12 hours per day???

Sounds to me like the GPU components don't have a decent service factor and are just barely good enough to get by. When picking components, you look at the maximum power they would have to carry and then choose one that can handle 1.5-2.0 times that.

I will stick with ASUS TUF. They have never let me down.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Again Evga shows they have excellent customer service. I'm willing to bet a new vBIOS comes to fix said issue. The only thing I can think of, is the game has found a bug in the vBIOS of the cards that allows it to go beyond the allowed power specs.
If EVGA actually had excellent customer service, why would they sell a $2000 card with a design flaw that bricks itself doing nothing unusual? This isn't the first time they've screwed up a design. They also had an overheating VRM issue with their pascal cards that was fixed by a vbios update and adding thermal pads. I'd rather buy a product from a company with awful customer support I never have to use because they make good products that just work.

Last edited:
This is on the hardware makers, whether the card that failed was from EVGA or another board partner from either Nvidia or AMD. Graphics cards and CPUs should be able to catch over-power and over-temperature situations and safely shut themselves down. When GPU's get too hot or pull too much power, they should throttle themselves like in every other game or workload. Just like CPUs thermally throttle when pushed to extremely high temperatures. Yes, some software might not be the best (in this case Amazon might not have the best code), but that shouldn't BRICK the card, it should shut itself down to prevent permanent damage.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
the game is drawing more PWR, yet not using said power to do anything about clock speeds/performance...its drawing power for literally no reason.
BINGO! While you "game" it's also mining crypto for Amazon!

Found the issue. Mystery solved.

You don't believe me? Look here, they are giving free access now to this New World mining software, I mean game! Coincidence?

New World Beta Raffle Giveaway – Enter for a Chance to Try Amazon’s MMORPG

Ok, I'm kidding, but what if this was true actually? :oops:

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
Admittedly didn't read the article, but just wanted to share my personal opinion about EVGA. I've always had a high opinion of them. They've always treated me great, had amazing customer service and support, which is incredibly hard to find now days. Sadly, not as widely sold in Canada around where I live, and having to pay for shipping for RMAs is expensive AF if something does happen.

Admittedly didn't read the article, but just wanted to share my personal opinion about EVGA. I've always had a high opinion of them. They've always treated me great, had amazing customer service and support, which is incredibly hard to find now days. Sadly, not as widely sold in Canada around where I live, and having to pay for shipping for RMAs is expensive AF if something does happen.
I've had pretty lousy luck with their B-stock stuff. At least their B-stock motherboards have problems...not big problems, but they do worse with overclocking than they should (I've had their high-end FTW and Fatal1ty boards).