EVGA Reference 780 Ti and Asus Matrix Platinum 780 Ti in SLI?

Deity-

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
Hi guys. I just bought in August a EVGA 780 Ti SuperClocked and three months after seems I can't run games like AC:Unity or Far Cry 4 maxed over 40 FPS.

As it's too much trouble to sell this one, get a 980, have similar performance and frustration, then get another 980 I'd rather just get 1 more 780 Ti and be done with it.

However, it seems I can't find my card on sale anymore. Is it a bad idea to go with two different brands in SLI? I really like the matrix platinum and found it at a good price.

Solution
I ran a GTX 460 EVGA and a Gigabyte card for years. As long as they have the same processor & memory you will be fine. The 2 cards will operate at the slowest cards clock.
-Bruce

Havo_k

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Im running AC unity avg 50 fps at ultra (dips to mid 30's at times tho). I would suggest wait for 8Gb vram card tho in all honesty. The 780 ti has enough power to run it but poor optomization of this game is vram hungry. SLI will not increase your vram.

Maxwell4ME

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
There is nothing wrong with SLI and having two different models. Unless you use MSI afterburner or some other program to set the clock, voltage, and memory settings, the faster card will down-clock to match the slower of the two.

Deity-

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014

Yes, I'm running at 2560 x 1080p though.

You are right. But this is not the case here, with everything turned to max including TXAA I get 20-25 FPS. I need to lower it to FSAA to get 35-40 constantly.

But you are right about the VRAM issue. In Shadow of Mordor with everything to max and the ultra texture pack installed I used to get 80 FPS average, however, when I turned the camera quickly I would experience severe FPS drops, the VRAM was maxed. Changing the textures to High fixed it.

Thanks guys. I'm really excited of how they will look on the Maximus VII Hero board.

I wasn't sure as I read before that for SLI it's best to get reference cards as their cooling is "blow-out" type.

Deity-

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
Done and done.

2el5r93.jpg

Guys, yes, one question. The Matrix card has the GPU clock higher than my EVGA SC. Do I need to match the GPU Clock and Memory Clock in EVGA Precision X or it will each run at it's own speed?

Would it be better to just OC the EVGA as much as I can and tick the sync button in Precision? That way the more powerful won't have to downclock.

Deity-

Reputable
Nov 16, 2014
So if I OC the slower one as much as possible that will be fine.

No problems so far with only a Corsair AX860, several hours of gaming in and CPU at 4.7 Ghz.

However, all the games seem to benefit of the upgrade except Assassin's Creed Unity, same FPS both GPU's fully used. I give up.

Legionarius13

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
I no this thread is old but I got a 780ti classy going to get a Asus 780ti platinum and run in SLI how did you get on with overcclocking the evga up? Is it hard to do I use Presion X
How big is your PS