EVGA Releases Xeno Network Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreasconse

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
May be an advertisement, but helps me. iv'e been looking for something good to stick in my PCIe X1 slot for a while. no room for anything else.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Oooook, so Bigfoot Networks has licensed their Killer NIC to EVGA ... 250$ NIC anyone???

Come-on! Will they continue to off-load all of the MB's feature to external card just to gain 1FPS/200$ spent? I mean, it's like going back to the 80's when the MB's only features were CPU/RAM/ISA controller, anything else was an extension.

G

What I find funny is the fact that when the BigFoot came out everyone complained it was PCI, they replied by saying it was because the PCI bus had less latency than the PCI-E bus (PCI being parrallel).

So what.... the Magical serial bus is now quicker? Amazering!

G

Like some said, this is pure advertisement. Specially since there is no real need for a "network-accelerator."
They are just creating a "need" that doesn't exist so they can sell an overpriced product (these cards normally run from $200-$250) that nobody really needs. I use voip on both my Quad 9550, 8GB, dual raided 300 gb raptor PC and on my MacBook Pro and never had any hiccup. Some goes for my games.

HTDuro

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2007
funny how ppl will be dumb enought to buy this .. i mean ... onboard LAN is clearly enough for 99.9% of ppl ...they say it will unload the cpu .. a old single core cpu maybe will need this help ... but alot of game if not almost all got dual and quad core .... and for 200$-250$ you can buy a new mobo, a dual core, 2gb of ram and some other things ..so its BS :p

[citation][nom]Hatecrime69[/nom]I wish I had a 10,000Mbps network card[/citation]

They do exist- Newegg even has some. Here's one and here's another. However, you'll need a motherboard with a 133 MHz 64-bit PCI-X slot, fiber-optic cabling, and the cards carry a price that will make the Bigfoot NIC look like a bargain.

rigaudio

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
Their target market is those who already have the top-end systems. Why the hell would they think we'd need something this extraneous?

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I guess I don't "get it" in what's being sold here.
Most games produced use UDP/IP data frames, They are quick, "connectionless," and lack the checks in TCP for receive acks to confirm that data reaches its destination. If there is a data collision or TTL problem somewhere along the hops, that packet is lost and the benefit of a device such as this is nullified and the user perceives lagg or "jumpiness."
Also, since we are usually using MTU's of 15000 bytes, this is another bottleneck caused by upstream router hardware and the resulting fragmentation (jumbo frames of 9000+ bytes are useless outside a LAN designed to support them). Lagg again.
The only possible "benefit" I can see to something like this is in a send/receive buffer for IRQ polling/vectoring and hosting that info on the card instead of main memory, which is "buffering" or delaying the game anyway.

...Sigh... I'm probably wrong...

Zenthar

Distinguished
[citation][nom]spectrewind[/nom]I guess I don't "get it" in what's being sold here.Most games produced use UDP/IP data frames, They are quick, "connectionless," and lack the checks in TCP for receive acks to confirm that data reaches its destination. If there is a data collision or TTL problem somewhere along the hops, that packet is lost and the benefit of a device such as this is nullified and the user perceives lagg or "jumpiness."Also, since we are usually using MTU's of 15000 bytes, this is another bottleneck caused by upstream router hardware and the resulting fragmentation (jumbo frames of 9000+ bytes are useless outside a LAN designed to support them). Lagg again.The only possible "benefit" I can see to something like this is in a send/receive buffer for IRQ polling/vectoring and hosting that info on the card instead of main memory, which is "buffering" or delaying the game anyway....Sigh... I'm probably wrong...[/citation]I think they simply added a QOS (Quality Of Service) scheme over what is normally done by the OS. It might calculate trajectory MTU in advance to limit packet fragmentation and prioritize the encoding and decoding of "gaming" packets. The price they charge might be "appropriate" for the development cost, but still way to high. However, by releasing a product, no matter how "unsellable", they have a much better grip on whatever IP they patented.

G

seems useless to me.
Most highband connections take about 100seconds to fill that 128MB ram.
I've never seen a lag that high on my simple $5 100mbit lancard!

Status
Not open for further replies.