EVGA SC17 Gaming Laptop First Look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not bad, but I still have a hard time taking 4K in anything smaller than a 32" screen. I would love this lappy in 15.4" and 1080p@120Hz hovering around USD$1900 instead. No need for gSync at that frequency (IMO), but it would still be nice.

Cheers!

hunshiki

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2011
Never understood this. First thing I would go for - if I were to design a new gaming laptop for the market - is cooling. Make it the best, or one of the bests. But they were like "WHO CARES?" at EVGA - so it seems. And shame on Tomshardware, this issue is only mentioned in a tiny section at the end of the review. It is one of the most important things when it comes to a 'gaming laptop'.

Argent Gold

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
Never understood this. First thing I would go for - if I were to design a new gaming laptop for the market - is cooling. Make it the best, or one of the bests. But they were like "WHO CARES?" at EVGA - so it seems. And shame on Tomshardware, this issue is only mentioned in a tiny section at the end of the review. It is one of the most important things when it comes to a 'gaming laptop'.

Our First Looks don't delve too deep into thermals. We'll cover that once we start doing full reviews.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
The only useful thing about that 4k display is that you can browse in windows with pretty images (ofc using resolution scale to fonts at 300%) but other than that the screen is pure useless.

kunstderfugue

Honorable
Mar 12, 2012
Can you manage voltages on it? Perhaps it's possible to find a lower voltage configuration that's stable at stock speeds for decreased thermal dissipation.

gondo

Distinguished
When I first looked at the specs I said to myself "Wow that seems stupid, 4k on a laptop" 4k even on a 27" is overkill. The icons get so small and requires the tweaking of windows settings. And even desktop SLI struggles to keep up with 4k.

I still think Clevo make the best platforms and I'm a Sager fan. Sager pros over the EVGA:

1080p IPS GSync panel, color backlit anti ghosting keyboard, soundblaster XFI audio with headphone amp and foster speakers/sub, Full desktop Geforce 980 or SLI 980m, fingerprint reader, nicer chasis, better cooling system, better thermal compound, killer NIC. The rest is pretty much similar with the sager having the advantage of being customizable. You can up the SSDs, get some raid going, etc....

I've owned sagers and never had an ounce of trouble.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I also dont get it why they pack high end hardware on laptops without adequate cooling. If it was me i would have designed a watercooling block over and under the cpu/gpu/board and the whole back side would be the cooling system. I dont get it why they are not making it even optional, a cooling base that is watercooled with a loop inside the laptop :p..

SylentVyper

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

Skylake and Maxwell are so much more energy efficient these days, I have a Clevo P650RG which is 1" thick, 5.5 pounds with an i7-6700HQ and 980m, with Noctua thermal paste I hit the mid 70s in stress testing on both CPU and GPU. Not desktop quality amazing, but nowhere near thermal limits for either.

chaosmassive

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
4k fitted to 17" screen, I simply can't imagine how tiny the desktop icon, text, etc
must be hard on eyes to see those.

that aside, why would many manufacturer put such high resolution on small panel?? what they're after? ppi? such screen normally for 768p, imo

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014
4k fitted to 17" screen, I simply can't imagine how tiny the desktop icon, text, etc
must be hard on eyes to see those.

that aside, why would many manufacturer put such high resolution on small panel?? what they're after? ppi? such screen normally for 768p, imo

You just use the DPI scaling options in Windows. I have a 15" laptop with a 4K screen it works fine at 200%.

Where are the radiators going to get their surface area? Keep in mind that water cools the chips, but the water itself is still cooled by air.

gondo

Distinguished

Specs are on par with other high end gaming laptops from the likes of Sager, Alienware, Asus, MSI, etc... It's nothing special. EVGA is riding it's reputation from Power Supplies to try and build a company much how Asus is into every area of the market with a good reputation. I don't think it will pan out for them...people don't trust $3000 on the brand for fear of having a malfunction.

I think EVGA has the PSU market cornered. They should now focus on PCB. Motherboards and GPUs. If they can get the same rep with those as with their power supplies they would would be doing good.

gondo

Distinguished

I don't understand. SATA is good enough for your internal hard drives, but for external you need Thunderbolt? USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt are both faster than SATA 6.

Can't we just stick to USB 3.1 that is backwards compatible with every device on the market and faster than SATA.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
I'm tempted to think it's a Clevo turnkey but holy crap, that's actually a good looking gaming laptop.

ASUS, Alienware, and MSI need to take cues from EVGA and Razer.

Quixit

Reputable
Dec 22, 2014

You're mistaken, Thunderbolt is just as backwards compatible because Thunderbolt 3 ports all also support USB 3.1. Also Thunderbolt 3 can carry DisplayPort signals and support higher bandwidth devices than USB-C. You're not losing anything with Thunderbolt 3, only gaining.

gondo

Distinguished

Spartan MarkIV

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014

That's not why I want Thunderbolt 3, I want thunder bolt 3 for external graphics

gondo

Distinguished

You won't be able to sustain frame rates at 4k. A 1440P panel would be a better option. I still think Clevo is the best.

Alex_107

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Not sure why you want a laptop with a 980m if you want external graphics.
Because If you spent that amount on a laptop, you probably will not throw it away after 2 year and you will still try to play games on it.

SylentVyper

Reputable
Dec 30, 2014

That's a console peasant argument. If you think the 980m will be worth pitching in 2 years because it can't play anything you're insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS