EVGA Shows New PSUs: LED GL And Compact SuperNOVA GX

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
I officially deem 2016 the year of the Christmas tree PC.

I take it that you are not a fan of LEDs? Why is it that when someone isn't a fan of something that they have to criticise the OPTION?
You don't have to have LEDs and you certainly don't have to use them everywhere they are possible... but I do believe that the OPTION to use LEDs is a good thing.

Although, with regards to this, I do find it stupid that the lights are within the sockets meaning that should you connect all the cables you won't see the effect.

Just got done reading over Computex coverage. We now have LED's on motherboards, cases, GPU's, PSU's, CPU coolers, fans, mice, keyboards, monitors, etc. I have no issue with LED's but its just that vendors went way overboard this year. This makes it a lot tougher to coordinate lighting colors which might have some picking parts based off LED colors. I really like LED's on useful things like on the IO panel so you can see to plug things up.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
The LED/RGB arms race has now reached a crazy level - in the PSU sockets? Seems nuts to me, but for others they go "AWESOME!" To each his own I suppose. I build to a certain level of pretty, but past that I never look again since I spend more time staring at my screen shooting pixels and stuff.

Ddram Bo

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Those are PH.D lights, meaning 'plug here dummy'. What's even more awesome for a sales gimmick is the fact that once the dummies who go for shiny objects begin plugging things in where the led's indicate there are holes, the parts being plugged in start to make their own sparkling and fireworks as they short out, overload and smoke or just kill the power supply, so they need to be purchased again. How marvelous technology can be!

The PC industry continues to push form over function because it "sells". If everyone chose components based upon performance criteria, no one would ever, for example, buy a CLC, a hybrid nVidia GFX card, 5.25" Fan controller .....

Frankly, I don't want to **see** a PSU. The trend in case design is cases with PSU shrouds so we don't have to look at a birds nest of wires . I'd be more interested in a quiet FDB fan ... in our 970 SLI build (Swiftech H240-X, air cooled 970s, 7 case fans), the only thing that can be heard (635 watt load as measured at wall ~ 570 watts PSU output) with the system at light loads or stress test is the 1000 watt G2's fan

I agree, and most of the time you see LED fans of any time they're bound to not have as good of a bearing just because they sell for the LEDs.

Sometimes those FDB fans aren't actually FDB fans. Most of the time they're renamed rifle bearing.

And rifle bearings are modified sleeve bearings and many folks dismiss tham on that basis alone .... I don't much care what it is, as long as it's quiet. And our G2 is not quiet. Our go to PSUs right now are the Seasonic Snow Silent series. It's not the quietest 1000 watter, that title belongs to the SF Leadex Platinum Series (includes EVGA P2). In fact the G2 1000 has been tested and exhibited the same sound level ... but the G2's, seem to have a fair number of users noting this issue so it's not that the unit as a whole is loud ... just that some of them seem to be coming off the line with loud fans.

As for fans, yes many a time I have seen a user build and suggested that they improve the fans and gotten a response as you have outlined. Bit some companies, have LED versions of their top fans ... tho the LED oft adds a significant price premium, not so much for the cost of adding the LED but from the basis of quantity discounts .... even if you assume that 60% are non LED type, that means, on average the quantity sold for each of say 4 LED colors would be 10%

We use Phanteks F140SPs exclusively ... I tend to buy large amounts whenever new egg has a special where I can get the non LED ones for $10 and the LED ones for $5 more. When not on special, they usually go for $5 more.

Snow Silent has been something I've been considering purchasing. Most people don't end up with a loud G2, though, because their hardware demands much less than what their PSU is capable of (since a lot of people buy overkill).

I agree, but a fair number of them do. My son only needed a 750 for twin 970s but on the day he was buying the G2 1000 was cheaper than the G2 850 that he planned on. Thought process was the 1000 would be quieter than the 850 since it was a lower % of rated load. I have installed other G2s that are quieter, I have a B2 that is quieter. I have met 3 folks on overclock.net with the same issue.

Some would define dead silent as not being able to hear the PSU fan over everything else ... to my eyes, or should I say ears, a machine can only be classified as dead silent if when you close your eyes, you cant tell if the system is on of off. A whisper in a quiet library is about 30 dbA.... that's not dead silent... as evidenced by the stares you get when you do it. But as this noise is generally projected away from you, it is often not bothersome and might not be audible.

OTOH as the fan noise comes out with the exhaust air directly outside the case, it doesn't benefit from being muffled as does the fan noise form your typical non-blower style GPU cooler. Let's compare the noise from the Snow and the G2 assuming we got one with no fan issue.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Seasonic/Snow_Silent-750/10.html

The G2 750 is 2.04 times as loud as the Snow Silent
Seasonic Snow Silent 750 = 29.65 dbA
EVGA G2 750 = 39.93 dbA

The G2 1000 is 1.47 times as loud as the Snow Silent
Seasonic Snow Silent 1050 = 35.82 dbA
EVGA G2 1000 = 41.29 dbA

Now let's compare it to the other components

In my son's box, the air cooled MSI 970s produce 0 dbA at idle and only 30 dbA under load .. so again, even with a brand new, no issue G2 750, that makes the G2 two times as loud as the GPU.

https://tpucdn.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/images/fannoise_load.gif

Do you mean the modular connectors or the fan LEDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.