EVGA SuperNOVA 550 GS PSU Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luay

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
Coorection, EVGA did release a gold rated 1050W and 850W Seasonic PSU also branded as GS, and a platinum 1000W PS. There's also a 650W version of the PSU reviewed here which takes the total to five Seasonic OEMs branded by EVGA.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
There are less rippletastic options at that price point.

For the most part when it comes to PC parts you get what you pay for. Unless you spot a great sale, a 550W fully modular, 80 Gold PSU from a company like EVGA with a 5 year warranty. EVGA is super easy to deal with should you need to replace a unit. All that for $90? If this PSU was a 650W unit with same features and for the same price it would have been perfect.

atheus

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
There are less rippletastic options at that price point.

For the most part when it comes to PC parts you get what you pay for. Unless you spot a great sale, a 550W fully modular, 80 Gold PSU from a company like EVGA with a 5 year warranty. EVGA is super easy to deal with should you need to replace a unit. All that for $90? If this PSU was a 650W unit with same features and for the same price it would have been perfect.
You mean the price would have been perfect? Confusing idea to change the wattage rather than just change the price. I take that to mean instead of a certain price/performance you would rather have a 650 watt PSU than a 550.

I see 650 watt PSU's as only for SLI systems, which are fairly niche. With 550 you can handle any single GPU, and in the case of Maxwell GPU's <= 980 you could even SLI them so long as you aren't doing some obscene overclocking or running a dozen fans and pumps and a datacenter worth of HDD's. So for my go-to wattage for a standard high performance single GPU build is 550. For medium performance 450 is even better.

Aris_Mp

Contributing Editor
Editor
Feb 5, 2015
Coorection, EVGA did release a gold rated 1050W and 850W Seasonic PSU also branded as GS, and a platinum 1000W PS. There's also a 650W version of the PSU reviewed here which takes the total to five Seasonic OEMs branded by EVGA.

This is exactly what I write inside the review. Four GS PSUs and one PS.

"So far, the new PS series includes only a single unit with 1kW of max power; EVGA's GS line, on the other hand, has four PSUs with 550, 650, 850 and 1050W capacities."

I also have the 650 GS in my lab, but this isn't for Tom's.

Coolant

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

it had the red light of death when power button is switched, i shorted green to black blew up something , later noticed the clipped semiconductor, removed biasing components and psu now runs with remaining 5 semiconductors :p. hence the question.

Coolant

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014

will keep an eye on it

The summary conclusion at the end of the review, inside the pros and cons box, is for the wrong model. Entirely different power supply. Review is EVGA GS and summary is for Cyonic unit. This needs to get corrected and there are other reviews with the same problem that I have come across in the last couple of days. Probably a check of all reviews is in order to get these corrected.

118qhpw.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.